Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
For the people that traded from the SS to the 1LE

Did you notice a huge difference? Do you like the car considerably more than your SS? What differences did you notice?
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
The 1LE for me was much more responsive and stable. By stable I mean stayed much flatter in cornering. I only had my 2011 SS for about a year and never really got a chance to really open it up and put it through it's paces on a track or anything before trading to the 1LE. I have not really had a chance to get the 1LE out and stretch his legs to really be able to compare. But I do not regret my decision. I know that down the road the 1LE will be a much better platform to start with given all the drivetrain and fuel system upgrades.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I don't have one so I can't really comment. However, I'll say that unless you plan to really Auto-X or track the car I wouldn't upgrade. Spend the money you'll loose on a trade in and buys some wheels, gears, and coilovers. You'll probably even have enough money left over for headers and a tune.

Now, if you're buying brand new....by all means you should spend the extra money to upgrade to the 1LE.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I'll let you know in a few weeks

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
The 1LE for me was much more responsive and stable. By stable I mean stayed much flatter in cornering. I only had my 2011 SS for about a year and never really got a chance to really open it up and put it through it's paces on a track or anything before trading to the 1LE. I have not really had a chance to get the 1LE out and stretch his legs to really be able to compare. But I do not regret my decision. I know that down the road the 1LE will be a much better platform to start with given all the drivetrain and fuel system upgrades.
No Disrespect to the 1LE, but what he is saying here is he didnt get to really "know" his SS before he got rid of it. And furthermore, he staes he hasnt got to really "know" his 1LE. So in a year when he trades this one for the next better thing that has a popular label, he wont really "know" how to describe that one either. Guys, save money and buy the emblems. Or you can take the platform you have and make it whatever you want. Jeez.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
No Disrespect to the 1LE, but what he is saying here is he didnt get to rally "know" his SS before he got rid of it. And furthermore, he staes he hasnt got to really "know" his 1LE. So in a year when he trades this one for the next better thing that has a popular label, he wont really "know" how to describe that one either. Guys, save money and buy the emblems. Or you can take the plat form you have and make oit whatever you want. Jeez.
I'm guessing you don't really know what makes a 1LE a 1LE...

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
I was in the same boat as the OP. Not worth the trade in. But way worth buying it from the get go. The money difference in trade in to new purchase price is steep enough you can get wheels, gears, suspension, and extras as mentioned before. Unless you are really into the warranty don't go the trade in route.

On the other subject, the 1le is noticeably a better track performer than the stock ss. All I have right now is the wheels and I can tell a huge difference. Coilovers/ zl1 sways are on next.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I can't see trading in an SS and getting bent over on the trade, just for the 1LE. To me, losing that much money wouldn't be worth the small differences.

I like the comment above about taking the platform and making it your own. There are tons of upgrades that can be done to an SS to get it just the way you want it. For me, it's a moot point anyway...I don't drive stick.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
S3XPanther
by Odeon

^You guys probably don't know this, but the transmission is upgraded in the 1LE as well. It's not "minor" differences. It's more of a night and day difference.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
No Disrespect to the 1LE, but what he is saying here is he didnt get to really "know" his SS before he got rid of it. And furthermore, he staes he hasnt got to really "know" his 1LE. So in a year when he trades this one for the next better thing that has a popular label, he wont really "know" how to describe that one either. Guys, save money and buy the emblems. Or you can take the platform you have and make it whatever you want. Jeez.
And you presume to know what I did or didn't lose on my trade in or what my intentions are to do with my 1LE. I do know the differences in how a car feels as I have a 2002 Camaro SS that I've had since it was brand new (11 years now) and I have put a full suspension on that. So I do know how to tell the differences between two cars. I do however like to keep my cars in excellent condition and therefore do not drive them in any weather other than sunny weather. And further more I also have other projects at home that I work on that sometimes take priority over taking my cars out to beat on them all the time. Last year happen to be a busy year for me and therefore I did not get to drive my car as much as I wanted to. And I've only had my 1LE for a week so forgive me if I would like to break it in properly before I run it too hard.

And no I won't be buying the next better thing because my 1LE will be plenty for what my needs are. So please don't presume to think you know what my experiences are or are not. I was upfront and honest with the OP because I didn't want to get on here and say that the two cars are night and day difference when for regular street driving there actually is not much perceptible difference. In fact I think the 1LE is a better quality ride on the street than my 2011 SS was. I like the responsiveness better and the suspension really did not seem that harsh at all. But then again I'm comparing my 2002 full aftermarket suspension to a factory OEM suspension on a car that is 11 years newer.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
^You guys probably don't know this, but the transmission is upgraded in the 1LE as well. It's not "minor" differences. It's more of a night and day difference.

Suspension, tranny and rear end?

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Suspension, tranny and rear end?
Yes, and super sticky tires

All in all, a $3500 package that is worth well beyond $3500...hell, the rims alone are more than that.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
Quote:

All in all, a $3500 package that is worth well beyond $3500...hell, the rims alone are more than that.
i would pretty much say, go 1le and sell the tires and rims. just for that sexy steering wheel/shifter!

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:

Thanks...I knew about the wheels/tires, wasn't positive about the rear end. A C5 brother I know put his 1LE up on a dyno at a show and pulled 392HP at the wheels!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote