Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
What floor jack do you use on your lowered Camaro

I want to know what brand and or type of floor jack you use on your Camaro after it is lowered. I went to jack up the front end to put my new Pfadt sway bars on and ran into a issue. By the way I highly recommend the Pfadt sway bars to anyone. I put them to a real nice test today out on a nice curvy road and it handled fantastic.

I have the 2LT and I couldn't get my floor jack under the front end because it sits low at stock height. I had to drive it up onto a 2" x 6" to get it a little further off the ground and was then able to get the jack under the front. If the SS is supposed to sit lower then the LT's how in the world do you get a floor jack under yours? I have the old school kind of floor jack that goes up on a angle toward the handle so it sits higher in that area. This height is with the stock struts, I will never get a floor jack under after my coil-overs come in.

I can get the jack under the rear end just fine. It's when I go to put the jack under the front end that is giving me trouble. I have about 6 inches of clearance from the ground up to the little black piece that runs across the bottom of the front fascia. The jack hits that black piece before I even come close to getting the jack under the front cross member. Maybe you can see what I'm talking about in this photo. After I drop the car 2 more inches that's only going to leave me 4 inches of clearance and I'll never get either one of my 2 floor jacks under it then.

Looks like I have a good excuse to hunt down a new floor jack to me. If you look toward the upper right part of the photo, you can see the silver bar that is my new front Pfadt sway bar.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
u need ramps

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
I want to know what brand and or type of floor jack you use on your Camaro after it is lowered. I went to jack up the front end to put my new Pfadt sway bars on and ran into a issue. By the way I highly recommend the Pfadt sway bars to anyone. I put them to a real nice test today out on a nice curvy road and it handled fantastic.

I have the 2LT and I couldn't get my floor jack under the front end because it sits low at stock height. I had to drive it up onto a 2" x 6" to get it a little further off the ground and was then able to get the jack under the front. If the SS is supposed to sit lower then the LT's how in the world do you get a floor jack under yours? I have the old school kind of floor jack that goes up on a angle toward the handle so it sits higher in that area. This height is with the stock struts, I will never get a floor jack under after my coil-overs come in.

I can get the jack under the rear end just fine. It's when I go to put the jack under the front end that is giving me trouble. I have about 6 inches of clearance from the ground up to the little black piece that runs across the bottom of the front fascia. The jack hits that black piece before I even come close to getting the jack under the front cross member. Maybe you can see what I'm talking about in this photo. After I drop the car 2 more inches that's only going to leave me 4 inches of clearance and I'll never get either one of my 2 floor jacks under it then.

Looks like I have a good excuse to hunt down a new floor jack to me. If you look toward the upper right part of the photo, you can see the silver bar that is my new front Pfadt sway bar.

Im Interested in what kind of Jacks people are using also.

Check out my thread on ramps

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69034
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Mine went just fine with the Pfadt drop springs. I'll have to take a picture of it.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Go to harbor freight they have a aluminum racing jack for 60 dollars that sits real low with one wide wheel on the front. I have one it works great.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
You know, I have not jacked my car up since I've had it. Let me try and see if my jack works on my lowered SS. I'll get back to you.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
auto zone low profile aluminum jack and jack it up from the side.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Go to harbor freight they have a aluminum racing jack for 60 dollars that sits real low with one wide wheel on the front. I have one it works great.
They also have an insert that sits in the saddle that in made of rubber so you wont scratch your under carriage.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrattcom View Post
Im Interested in what kind of Jacks people are using also.

Check out my thread on ramps

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69034
Ramps would be fine except I have to pull the wheels off and it would be hard to do with them sitting on ramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
auto zone low profile aluminum jack and jack it up from the side.
I have always jacked the front end up on my other Camaros by putting the floor jack under the front cross member. I'm not comfortable jacking one side up and then the other. This gives the car a chance to slide off the jack stand when your jacking the other side up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
They also have an insert that sits in the saddle that in made of rubber so you wont scratch your under carriage.
Good stuff here. I didn't think about Harbor Freight, I saw Northern Tool carries a low profile that should work. I'll compare the 2 jacks.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
thekid96

Drives: Z06, 69 Camaro
I take an 18" 2x4 and cut a 45 on the end, then take a 12" 2x4 with a 45 and screw them together. Makes a perfect little ramp to pull up on so any jack will slide right under and you aren't banging on the underside of the bumper the whole time. Cheap and easy.
thekid96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I use an American Forge and Foundry Low Rider floor jack. It has a nice rubber pad on the jack cradle. It slides under my car and lifts it with no problems. It is a little higher price but you get what you pay for. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/int200t.html
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoirier View Post
I use an American Forge and Foundry Low Rider floor jack. It has a nice rubber pad on the jack cradle. It slides under my car and lifts it with no problems. It is a little higher price but you get what you pay for. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/int200t.html
Still a lot cheaper than this one.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

I've been shopping for a jack for the past two weeks. This is a timely thread.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
These may be an option, too:

http://www.raceramps.com/trakjax.html