Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I spoke to Ron at Vengeance Racing on Friday about gears. He told me there is a gear swap coming in about 2 months. He said it would require a complete differential swap. Due to the unique design, it is not as simple as swapping a single ring and pinion. This would raise the cost significantly to somewhere above $2000.

I am not an expert. This is what I was told. Ron is very active here and is an authorized dealer for Pedders, Pfadt, magnusson, procharger, etc. He has always given good advice and has steered me away from buying parts I didn't need. Just thought I would put this out there.
thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_p View Post
for 2000 bucks i think I will just put some 15" tires on when I need to go fast...LOL That would be the most expensive gear swap in the world. Surelly someonw will come out with something better than that

let me know if you can get some 15" wheels on the camaro.

18's barely fit this thing.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
I hope someone does figure this out, $2000 is not a viable option. I hope there is a more classic way to do it especially with everyone screaming for gears for these cars.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Gib

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, RJT 04 Silverado
Quote:
I spoke to Ron at Vengeance Racing on Friday about gears. He told me there is a gear swap coming in about 2 months. He said it would require a complete differential swap. Due to the unique design, it is not as simple as swapping a single ring and pinion. This would raise the cost significantly to somewhere above $2000.

I am not an expert. This is what I was told. Ron is very active here and is an authorized dealer for Pedders, Pfadt, magnusson, procharger, etc. He has always given good advice and has steered me away from buying parts I didn't need. Just thought I would put this out there.
This is correct. I already checked the price from GM for a new differential and they list for $1,600.00 and something. My engine builder told me that every one who has tried to open one up and replace the ring & pinion have tried and failed. I hope the aftermarket comes out with a better and less expensive unit. I think I read some where on the forum that ADM will be offering something soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
I'm sure he's a good guy, but nobody is going to pay $2000+ for the same exact diff with a different final drive ratio. Someone will come out with a simple gear & pinion swap. Lots more people would buy that.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I would definitely hope so. I know that would put it at too high a price point for me. Hopefully, they'll figure something out.

The way it was explained to me is that the Camaro is the inverse of a traditional setup and this is causing issues. Left hand versus right hand setup, to be honest I am not smart enough on differentials to speak to technical details.

Bottom line, I think if it was an easy swap we would have seen something by now.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
Drive fast, take chances
Driving Camaros 40 yrs

Drives: 70 Z28/RS, 99 SS, 2010 2SS/RS w/SC
Well, if you can't get shorter gears right away, you could go to shorter tires in the 20" at least. There are tires out there (wider & shorter) than can get you about 8% or so lower in gearing. However, your stock computer will only handle about 5% change before throwing a flag. Hypertech needed here...
Drive fast, take chances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
What would the effect be of downsizing to the 19" set up recommended by Pedders?
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote