Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HURST
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
ZL1C7

Drives: 2015 ZL1/1970 GTO 455HO
Beware: David Melvin of Delaware

Bought a Camaro from him off this site over six months ago. Has failed to provide Any paperwork or the Title. Many excuses but nothing to help. He has since moved but will not provide new address. Said it had a lienholder but refuses to provide any info about it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
cpe

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
You can use the VIN (if you have it) to get info regarding the lien-holder.
cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
Did you purchase the vehicle knowing it had a lien? If so you should of dealt directly with the lien holder. Remember they have FIRST dibs on that vehicle, regardless of how much you paid for the vehicle. The sale was illegal on the sellers part. The lien holder has ZERO obligation to refund you anything and once they know where the vehicle is you want to bet they will come after it.

I would be putting out a ton of feelers trying to locate this sh*t bag so he can be held accountable.

Reviewing a lot of your posts I see you sell a lot of parts, did you purchase this one to strip out?

Wishing you the very best.
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
ZL1C7

I am familiar with the process, having had a dealers retail license for about 12 years before I decided not to renew it after the economy crashed in '07. With that being said this is the first time since then I have done a transaction with a lienholder. I have bought a turbo kit and misc. parts from him and established a decent relationship. He kept me fully informed about taking the money to the lienholder and them sending the title out within 10 days. It went downhill from there. He swears up and down the car got paid off but I have not been able to verify. The car was not running when I got it in boxes and buckets. Had not decided weather to part it or get it running. I ran the VIN thru carfax but it did not list a lienholder or a that it once did have a lien. Over the past months he has said he lost his job, getting a divorce and overall life crash. He has several times said he would send me lienholder info so I could verify he paid it off and other info but he has failed to send me anything. literally NOTHING as far as documentation. If anybody thinks they can help I can forward the VIN.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1C7 View Post
He kept me fully informed about taking the money to the lienholder and them sending the title out within 10 days.

Can you just call the lienholder?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
ZL1C7

If i knew who they were........
Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
cpe

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
Maybe it works differently there, but if you have the VIN just have the DMV run a report on the car. If there are open lein(s), the leinholder shows up. Takes like 5 minutes to find out.
cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
I am sure prior to handing this guy the money contact was great. He answered all your call and no doubt called you frequently. He established rapport. Some years ago I purchased a fairly pricey car that also had a lien. I purchased the car for $24K cash, the money owed on the car was just over $20K. I flew in to pick the car up with a certified bank check payable to the 1st lien holder. We went to the bank, lien holder cashed the check, gave the seller the remaining balance and gave me a "release of lien" made out to me for that vehicle. Took the tile and purchased a temp plate and drove home.

This guy is not contacting you because he no doubt spent the money and did not pay of the lien holder. You should visit your local DMV and they can run the VIN and the lien holder will show up without question.

For now your setting on a vehicle that you can not legally register or drive.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Bought a Camaro from him off this site over six months ago. Has failed to provide Any paperwork or the Title. Many excuses but nothing to help. He has since moved but will not provide new address. Said it had a lienholder but refuses to provide any info about it.
Do you have a bill of sale signed?
What about e-mail communications?
Text communications?
Basically, anything proof of the transaction?

There are a couple of things that might have happened here. First, if he moved and the lienholder sent the release and title to the old address, it probably got sent back to the lienholder, these things don't typically get forwarded.

Second, this car or the money you gave him might be tied up in property dispute regarding the divorce.

On the surface, this looks like a "take the money and run" situation. You may need to lawyer up on this one.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
ZL1C7

He will randomly respond to texts. . He will say " don't worry you will have it next week" but obviously never follows thru. This has been going on for months. I've even told him i will work him no matter what the issue is, but he won't respond

Plenty of email and text confirming I have paid in full but other than that..Nothing. He has said he has moved and changed jobs but won't tell me any more. I don't even want the car anymore.. Just sick of the hassle

I have been in contact with law enforcement so hopefully things will start to move along.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
St!ng

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Cnvertible
In 2004 I attempted to purchase a 1969 Firebird 400 convertible from a doctor living in a multi-million dollar house. I gave him 10% down and agreed to pick the car up later that week. On the day I was to pickup the car he called and said he could not find the title but still wanted me to pick the car up. I told him I would not take the car until he had the title. After a month of waiting, I learned that he never transferred the title into his name when he purchased it years ago. He didn't seem too motivated get a hold of the guy he bought it from so I picked up my check and asked him to call me when he had the title.

I still have not heard from him.

Bottom line: no clear title, no sale.

I hope you get this issue resolved soon.
St!ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by St!ng View Post
In 2004 I attempted to purchase a 1969 Firebird 400 convertible from a doctor living in a multi-million dollar house. I gave him 10% down and agreed to pick the car up later that week. On the day I was to pickup the car he called and said he could not find the title but still wanted me to pick the car up. I told him I would not take the car until he had the title. After a month of waiting, I learned that he never transferred the title into his name when he purchased it years ago. He didn't seem too motivated get a hold of the guy he bought it from so I picked up my check and asked him to call me when he had the title.

I still have not heard from him.

Bottom line: no clear title, no sale.

I hope you get this issue resolved soon.
That was your loss. Back when I was younger I rarely (if ever) put a car I was going to sell in my name !! I also bought a few the same way. It's called Jumping a title and while not ethical it's done all the time.
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Quote:
You can contact the local prosecutor about filing theft by deception charges. If the prosecutor agrees the first thing they normally do is offer the accused the chance of providing restitution prior to going to court. You would need to do this where the transaction took place.

If might seem heavy handed but sometimes you have to hit someone with a 2X4 just to get their attention.

Good luck.
Craig

1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
St!ng

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Cnvertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by splashlog48 View Post
That was your loss. Back when I was younger I rarely (if ever) put a car I was going to sell in my name !! I also bought a few the same way. It's called Jumping a title and while not ethical it's done all the time.
The problem wasn't that the title was in someone else name, it was that this guy lost the title and admitted that he never transferred it into his name when he bought it 2 years ago. The only way for him to get a duplicate title would have been to find the guy he bought it from (if he even remembered the guys name) and have him request a duplicate. This assumes that he titled the car.

Had I gave the seller the money and taken the car, he would have had no motivation to help get the title figured out after cashing my check. I would have ended up with a car that I could not license, drive, or sell. I would be in the same situation as the guy who started this thread. I was not happy about walking away from the car but it was worth not having all that drama in my life and possibly losing my money.
St!ng is offline   Reply With Quote