Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
blkevrythng

Drives: 112ssrsblk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I'd beat someone with my tire iron if I rear ended them because they blacked out their tail lights.
Lol really guy... A tire iron... Hahaha
blkevrythng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Plus those Mustangs appear to have standalone reflectors at the bottom of the bumper. Something the Camaro doesn't have (export model has them)
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #59
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
All my lights are blacked out and yes illegal. Some states are picky about it, luckily mine is not.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #60
hawkfe

Drives: 2014 Stingray 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
so this isnt illegal, its from the factory this way
Attachment 377564
The problem with the Camaro the reflective portion is in our tail lights, if you look near the bottom of the mustang they have red reflectors near the bottom. When you black out you also black out the reflectors and TX law says the reflector must be visible.

Source: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/lighting.htm

Tail Lamp
  • Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps, unless vehicle was manufactured prior to 1960, in which case your vehicle is required to be equipped with one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear which, when illuminated, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear.
Rear Reflector
  • Every motor vehicle shall carry on the rear, either as part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors.
  • Rear reflectors on a vehicle shall reflect a red color.
  • Red reflectors required on the rear of a vehicle may be incorporated with the tail lamp assembly.
  • Every reflector upon any vehicle shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from such vehicle when directly in front of the lawful lower beams of head lamps.
hawkfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #61
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
I see.....
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #62
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkevrythng View Post
Lol really guy... A tire iron... Hahaha

well, only if they were bigger than me. if it was just some punk kid I'd probably just pop him in the jaw a few times and leave it at that.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #63
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I agree, I am not a fan of blacked out tailights i mean if it impairs my ability to see you then you are just stupid for doing it.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #64
OhioGuy89

Drives: 2012 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jungle View Post
Memorial Day Weekend is always bad for compliance tickets. It's just an excuse to pull you over to see if you been drinking for an even bigger ticket, jail time and more money for the state and police retirement fund..
Sorry to go off topic, but if you get pulled over for doing something illegal, don't blame it on the state trying to make money. I hate when people are speeding and get caught, then complain that the state is only trying to make money. Or when people get parking tickets (anyone ever watch Parking Wars on Discovery Channel [or maybe it's TruTV]?) and they know they are wrong, but try blaming it on the person giving them the ticket. If you are speeding, have illegal tint, no front license plate, etc. and get a ticket, don't complain. You earned the ticket fair and swuare.

End rant.
OhioGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #65
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy89 View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but if you get pulled over for doing something illegal, don't blame it on the state trying to make money. I hate when people are speeding and get caught, then complain that the state is only trying to make money. Or when people get parking tickets (anyone ever watch Parking Wars on Discovery Channel [or maybe it's TruTV]?) and they know they are wrong, but try blaming it on the person giving them the ticket. If you are speeding, have illegal tint, no front license plate, etc. and get a ticket, don't complain. You earned the ticket fair and swuare.

End rant.
Word
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #66
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
uhm, yeah... illegal.

But that's the least of your worries when someone doesn't notice you slowing and ass ends your car. Maybe that would be why it's illegal, eh ?

Looks cool, but really... does that make it a good idea ?
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #67
blkevrythng

Drives: 112ssrsblk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
uhm, yeah... illegal.

But that's the least of your worries when someone doesn't notice you slowing and ass ends your car. Maybe that would be why it's illegal, eh ?

Looks cool, but really... does that make it a good idea ?

did not know it was illegal, and did not think it was that big of a deal. i see smoked lights that i can see fine all the time...almost seems as like if you can't see this smoked light, then a better prescription might be needed in your glasses...but seriously if i would have thought for one sec that it was illegal..then...aww hell i woulda gotten them anyway...
blkevrythng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #68
martinezj454545

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6
Yeah i just gat pulled over in San Diego CA for this same thing and it looked just like yours lol, but i have the spray tint so i will just take it off then put it back on after the court sees it,
martinezj454545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #69
KBruno

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Enforcement is local but the laws are federal: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...spx?reg=393.11 . State laws can attempt to clairify laws about placement, reflectivity etc. but aren't allowed to be any more strict or different than the DOT regulations. Cars are by nature too portable (duh) to have 50 different sets of regulations for such things. The problem is there are some officers who aren't aware of the actual laws or may abuse their power to keep us Hot Rod Hoodlums in line (damn kids).

And BTW, a dark car with no high visability reflectors looks good in a car show but is a hazard at night or any low light situation both driving or parked. It's called public safety for a reason...
KBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #70
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Im sorry but if youre using the excuse that you rear end someone bc they have tinted taillights (especially during the day) you just dont know how to drive. Its a car. a 3800lbs piece of machinery. kinda hard to miss unless youre not paying attention. I agree that if you rear end someone you are pretty much 99% at fault. you are either going too fast or following too close.

As for having illegal stuff on your car, if a cop wants to bust you he will find a reason plain and simple. If its not your car then its your driving.
Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote