Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
But the tune will void it.
Note: no tune is needed with CAI's CAI.

Yes, if you choose to do a tune, the tune itself will void your warranty.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #44
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
A CAI does not and cannot void your warranty. That is protected under a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Act. In fact, we actually have quite a few Chevrolet Dealerships that sell and install our products.
Is CAI Inc willing to cover the cost of any and all repairs to all Camaro5 members who purchase your product based upon your warranty statement.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Yeah I was referring to the tune mentioned by littlecammi, not the intake itself.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #46
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
It was some kind of a Malibu Turbo Performance Package they were showing off. I believe they had a Sonic and Cruze with similar intakes there.
You might be right about that info Chase, but the engine in the picture was of the 2.5 liter base engine, not the 2.0 liter turbo.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #47
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
You might be right about that info Chase, but the engine in the picture was of the 2.5 liter base engine, not the 2.0 liter turbo.

Thats obviously a turbo motor...

note the differences.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #48
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I've wondered the same thing about headers. Ford used to have shorty type headers on their fox body 5.0s back in the day while GM was still using log manifolds.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #49
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I have always thought that manufacturers error conservatively. The OEM intakes shield the intake manifold from vibration, are quiet, keep dirt out, and maintenance is straightforward. The tradeoff is 10-15 hp above 3500-4000 rpm.

The aftermarket for 4X4 Land Rover, Toyota, and others have CAIs that offer greater capacity but stand out because they filter better rising above the hood/roof into clean air and away from water. Not many owners need that capability however, so they are not OEM. Regular off road drivers think they should be.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #50
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Is CAI Inc willing to cover the cost of any and all repairs to all Camaro5 members who purchase your product based upon your warranty statement.
No, why would we spend money on fighting dealerships that are not familiar with the law?? I am simply stating a fact, voiding a vehicles warranty due to the sheer presence of any aftermarket part is against the law. We sell thousands of Camaro intakes a year and have never had a single issue brought to our attention concerning a warranty issue.

If a dealership does something illegal than the owner of the vehicle should seek legal advice. There has been documented cases in the past regarding this law where the owner of the vehicle has brought it to court and has won. Many dealerships simply use scare tactics and the fact that there are many consumers who are unfamiliar with the law to get out of paying for repairs by using an aftermarket mod as an excuse to "void" the warranty, even though they can't legally do so.

If you or anyone else have a dealer who is trying to get out of legitimate warranty covered work by saying a warranty is voided for the simple fact that an aftermarket part is on the vehicle, without them providing proof that the damage caused was because of that aftermarket part, I would suggest getting a different dealer or seeking legal counsel.

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 10-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #51
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
You do not need a tune with a CAI intake.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #52
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
You do not need a tune with a CAI intake.
As has been said several times now, JR 1's original comment, that prompted a string of "you don't need a tune with CAI's intake" replies, was stating that a tune in and of itself would void your warranty.

He was replying to a question about why Camaro owners (in the poster's opinion) seemed to seek cai's that don't require a tune, while Mustang owners (in the poster's opinion) frequently buy cai's that do require a tune.

No one is saying that you need a tune with CAI's intake.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #53
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Please don't let any sales people pitch the MMA and state your coverd if you purchase their products. You need to know that you are on your own with any aftermarket parts or alterations to your car. I'm not saying don't mod, heck even I do, but there is no get out of jail law that will cover exclusions to your warranty. Take the time to read you warranty and owners manual if in doubt. Also remember your dealer doesn't hold the warranty, GM does.

Exclusion:

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES. Installations or alterations to the original GM-equipped vehicle (or chassis) are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #54
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Exclusion:

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES. Installations or alterations to the original GM-equipped vehicle (or chassis) are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM.General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.
Read this very carefully and more than once. It is clearly stating that GM will not cover installing or fixing the aftermarket part or any damage proven to be caused by that part, which I previously mentioned. No where is this exclusion is it stating that a vehicles warranty will be voided or other repairs to the vehicle will not be covered.

I am really not trying to get in a back & forth here. I am simply stating the facts provided by the law, because it is very commonly misrepresented by dealers as well as others who don't really get it, and misunderstood by consumers.

I would agree with you that people need to read their coverage and that the warranty is upheld by GM, and not the dealer.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #55
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing noticeably more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.
I would think Ted Jannetty would have something to say about this statement.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
BUNNY15

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS 6M ~~ LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
The wife's 2014 GT 5.0 has one from the factory....but it didn't help her against my SS the other nite
BUNNY15 is offline   Reply With Quote