Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
a little exhaust change

the situation: so, in preparation for my long tube headers, i decided to do a little exhaust work to Penny. for the past 3.5 years, i've just been running a 3" mid pipe to a dumped chambered muffler. i knew after the LTs, that was just gonna be way too much bed-rattling goodness for my taste, so i decided to add some tail pipes out the back. i've also heard the argument that with certain mufflers, you lose some low-end torque when it's dumped, so i was also eager to check the validity of that statement.

the new hardware: dual 2.25" 14 gauge aluminized steel tail pipes into 3.5"x22" t304 stainless tips

the difference: it's a little hard to tell in the video, but the exhaust note is now a little more defined & deeper. it also dropped the slight drone from ~2000rpm to ~1650rpm - which reduced highway noise @ 70mph (i can hear the radio & talk to people much easier now). it's generally much quieter in the cab - so much so that i stalled it a couple times because i couldn't hear as i was letting the clutch out. as for the torque difference, it did pick up a little in the low-end, but i believe it might've lost a little top-end because the comparisons you'll see at the end of the video still come out to the same time. the way i know the bottom of the curve is a little fatter is by the fact that i can shift at slightly lower RPMs without bogging the engine - perfect example is shifting to 3rd @ 2000rpm. before, it started bogging even with light throttle, but now i can perform the same shift with the same throttle pressure no problem.

now - for the picture show
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/a...rrent=2010.flv
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote