Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Tcouty

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
OBX Longtube Install Review

After looking around at ALL of the different long tubes for the 5th Gen, I decided I'd try my hand at some cheaper OBX Headers. Picked up a set from Sparktec Motorsports for $458 shipped. Package includes 1-7/8 Long tubes, Catless pipes, gaskets and mounting hardware.

I've read some bad reviews about Sparktec and how their customer service is lack luster. Not in my case at all. The day after my order I received an email from Danny at Sparktec with a tracking number the day after my order. I got instant replies while discussing some things and he was eager to help with anything else I needed. I live in Chandler, AZ and received them to my door in 3 days from California. I ordered them Thursday afternoon and got them 8 am Saturday morning. Perfect time to throw them on :thumb up:

Upon first opening the package everything was wrapped decently and no missing parts. The welds are solid but not as neat as my kooks were on my Z06 so that's my first impression of them. The spike in the collector was there which i was surprised headers this cheap would have them, and there were no dings or dents anywhere. The gaskets that were included are better off in the trash than near your car. I swung by the dealership on my way to my buddies house and grabbed some OEM gaskets which I highly recommend over the ones that come with this set. The bolts to attach the cat or cat less pipe to the collectors are good quality and will work fine.

Up on the ramps I snagged the old manifolds out after popping the O2's off while still hot. They came out easy enough minus having to jack the car up to clear the drivers side manifold and cat pipe. I never separated them since it seemed like a waste of time. The OBX headers fit great and no need to separate the steering shaft. Fit was perfect so no issues there.

One big misconception was that it is advertised that this set of headers do NOT require O2 extenders. Yeah….. ok If you were desperate and needed to make them work then you can get enough slack out of the harness to make them reach, I however extended mine with new line, solder, and heat shrink.

Things are going smooth minus that O2 sensor set back. (at least there is 4 o2 bungs on the set so it could be worse) Time for the Test pipe to replace the cats. Went to throw them on aaaaaaaaand they are about an inch too long. Not a big deal. 10 minutes with a reciprocating saw and they slid right in. The rear o2 sensor reach no problem so no issue there. Throw the 2 bolts in to mate the test pipe and long tubes together and it fits like a glove.

After putting my dipstick back in it's time to fire it up.

I have a borla X pipe and Atak catback on the system already and it has a decent rumble but isn't anything to turn your head at. First fire up and Holy shit this thing will wake the dead. Ridiculous difference in exhaust notes afterwords. I let it get up to operating temp and checked everything again once over and zero leaks. https://youtu.be/znuoiZQ-OYg

Overall for a set of long tubes being so cheap vs the competition I'm pretty impressed with them minus the false advertisement of the o2 connections and test pipe being too long. Time will tell in about 3 months or so on how the welds and construction hold up in the heat here in AZ but i don't think it will be an issue at all. Have a few pics in my album on here
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS- Airaid Intake, OBX 1 7/8 long tubes, Catless Pipes, Borla X-Pipe, Borla Atak Catback, QTP Cutouts, Nitrous outlet Plate kit with purge, LNC-2000, NOS WOT Window switch, LC-2 Wideband, Autometer Cobalt Nitrous gauge
Tcouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Great review, thanks for the info! That's a great price for a set of headers that sound somewhat solid! Do they have an option for cats? And if so, are they a ridiculous price? I guess with all the money you save buying these as opposed to thousand dollar long tubes you could get some nice cats
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #3
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
What made you choose OBX instead of TSP or Speed Engineering?
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
What made you choose OBX instead of TSP or Speed Engineering?
I was thinking the same thing. Tsp are very reasonably priced, and they're backed up by hundreds of forum members. If I were to get headers that's probably what I'd get
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
Tcouty

Thanks man! Yes, they have an option for Cats. It's 639 for the set.

Rupertpupkin- I haven't seen many reviews on OBX and figured I'd be one of the guinea pigs to try them out and see what they're like. For a 1-7/8, have all 4 o2 bungs and price i figured it was worth a shot and liked them. I checked out both before. Didn't see a spot for the rear o2 connectors on the off-road pipe for either of those (which i'll use for my wide band once i get it tuned) and was worried about the design and clearance of speed engineering on the front runner not being curved in a bit like the others.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS- Airaid Intake, OBX 1 7/8 long tubes, Catless Pipes, Borla X-Pipe, Borla Atak Catback, QTP Cutouts, Nitrous outlet Plate kit with purge, LNC-2000, NOS WOT Window switch, LC-2 Wideband, Autometer Cobalt Nitrous gauge
Old 02-23-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Had my OBX for several years now. I love em! I got mine when they were a hot topic and bashed by everyone who played follow the leader instead of having the sockets to give something else a try. Funny thing...now there are almost as many "budget" header owners than there are the ones in the $1000+ club. Hmmmm.
Enjoy you purchase and welcome to Club OBX!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcouty View Post
Thanks man! Yes, they have an option for Cats. It's 639 for the set.

Rupertpupkin- I haven't seen many reviews on OBX and figured I'd be one of the guinea pigs to try them out and see what they're like. For a 1-7/8, have all 4 o2 bungs and price i figured it was worth a shot and liked them. I checked out both before. Didn't see a spot for the rear o2 connectors on the off-road pipe for either of those (which i'll use for my wide band once i get it tuned) and was worried about the design and clearance of speed engineering on the front runner not being curved in a bit like the others.

I took a chance on OBX with my G8GT.. loved it. Did the same for my C6Z, and I did a little fab work, but worked great at the end. Cant beat OBX
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Tcouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Had my OBX for several years now. I love em! I got mine when they were a hot topic and bashed by everyone who played follow the leader instead of having the sockets to give something else a try. Funny thing...now there are almost as many "budget" header owners than there are the ones in the $1000+ club. Hmmmm.
Enjoy you purchase and welcome to Club OBX!
Thanks man! No complaints so far. While I'll admit having American made headers with lifetime warranty is great to have, dollar per horsepower I see no issues with brands like these since it's just exhaust tubing.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
Kudos to you for not falling into the expensive header trap. They're stainless steel tubes for Pete's sake.
Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
1sweet11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Love my OBX. I've had them on for almost 5 years now. Installed them myself in my garage in a couple hours. Easy as pie and fit like a glove. ZERO issues....

http://youtu.be/HaoNFt5XQ18
Autoclub Dragway Best MPH: 112.01 Jan 7, 2012
1sweet11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanch1LE View Post
Kudos to you for not falling into the expensive header trap. They're stainless steel tubes for Pete's sake.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
OBX hear too... love em
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
tbss1
More then meets the eye!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 426 hp
Had my OBX for a few years as well, easy two hour install. Great headers, the money I saved I bought other performance parts.
2010 2SS/RS, M6, OBX 7/8" l/t headers, with high flow cats, MBRP full 3" exhaust, Whipple supercharger, 3.875 pulley, ID-1050X 1260CC injectors, JRE rough idle street blower cam kit, ZL1 fp, ZL1 fpcm, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, cold air intake, Richman 4.10 gears, BMR toe rods, trailing arms, f/r sway bars, f/r sway bar end links, BMR end link brackets, full BMR poly bushing including solid rear cradle bushings, BMR frame connectors and tunnel brace, f/r Hurst swaybar bushing brackets, Fluidamper, MGR shifter, and tune by Jannetty Racing.
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 PM   #14
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS

I am just playing..I always find it funny how these threads have people congratulating each other for buying a cheap knock off product. And before anyone gets mad, I own a set of these too!

I know you can't see them..but they are there..

And I don't care so much about the cheap..I do care about using the knock off to get there. There are plenty of cheap brands that are original designs.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote