Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Hubb Lifetime Oil Filter

Anybody in here using a lifetime oil filter like what Hubb and PurePower make? I've been piloting them in my fleet and am wondering if I have the guts to put one on my car. They work great from what I'm seeing on my work vehicles, but experimenting with my own car, different story. At least they look cool...
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Define "work great" have you done an oil analysis with particle count?

PF64 is 5$ and disposable, that thing is 100$ ill pass.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
For how cheep oil filters are. Why
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
There’s no lifetime anything when it comes to oil.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Brudda*Termite

Basically they can be used into perpetuity, I've visited fleets who have some that they've installed from their replaced vehicles onto the next generation. The end piece is really the only thing that's different, all the canisters are the same size based on weight class. The rep handed me one that he knew fit my car and dared me to use it. Of course, he didn't extend me a warranty if I blew the engine up!

It's disassembled and basically blown out and reinstalled, It's cleaned with bio-solvent when the oil is changed. According to the testing at 6000 miles, the oil is testing capable of going at least twice as long as factory recommendations. They're filtering down to the 25-30 micron level according to the analyzer.

My big push for these at work is the huge amount of oil and filter waste the solid waste trucks generate, we do PMs on them at least quarterly, that's a load of oil and waste filters. If we can get them to do an annual PM it would save a bunch of money and waste.

I don't intend to extend my personal car's oil life but the superior filtration and flow is what's tempting me. Definitely works better than a paper filter. Price is a problem though! The reason I'd use one is, with 10 quarts going through that little paper filter, it can't be doing a good job keeping contaminants in the filter. Oh, that fear though...
Old 01-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
In this case it's not oil so much as it's the filter media. That said, I'm not going to risk it.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
Brudda*Termite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
In this case it's not oil so much as it's the filter media. That said, I'm not going to risk it.

I understand it, I know it works and I'm still scared to pull the trigger with a free filter!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
I run a System1 oil filter on all my vehicles. Besides not needing to purchase filters all the time and the waste, I like being able to inspect the filter media easily for and foreign contaminates or metallic debris. I also use one on our road race 94 Mustang with a built 5.0. This car does 7-11 hour endurance races. Never had any issues with oil pressures or failures in relation to the filter.

Last edited by Rnovrit; 01-05-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda*Termite View Post
My big push for these at work is the huge amount of oil and filter waste the solid waste trucks generate, we do PMs on them at least quarterly, that's a load of oil and waste filters. If we can get them to do an annual PM it would save a bunch of money and waste.

Look into bypass filter systems, they are designed to do exactly what you say.

25-30 microns isn't anything to write home about Wix, Fram, Purolator all have 20 micron filters, OEM Filter for our cars is 98% @25microns.

This is just a larger filter which has more holding capacity, only way to tell how its doing is through its oil change interval is through particle analysis.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #10
RandRZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
OK so nobody mentioned the bypass PSI? From what I have heard the LT1/LT4 is a lot higher than normal, and the “new” hipo filter has even higher bypass pressure? I maybe all wet though!
RandRZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #11
Brudda*Termite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Look into bypass filter systems, they are designed to do exactly what you say.

25-30 microns isn't anything to write home about Wix, Fram, Purolator all have 20 micron filters, OEM Filter for our cars is 98% @25microns.

This is just a larger filter which has more holding capacity, only way to tell how its doing is through its oil change interval is through particle analysis.

Agree with you on the micron ratings with paper filters, but they do fill up too fast and reroute unfiltered oil back into the motor faster. The larger capacity and better flow is what I want for my car, I ain't extending any oil change intervals at the house.

Bypass filtration is definitely successful, but it's a lot to deal with. Our analysis results are showing a 25 micron max with a triple service cycle interval on big old dirty diesels and the spin-on mesh filters are simple, one unit. Bypass filtration from my experience in government fleets has too much stuff to add to the trucks which result in a lot of replacing components due to "events", haha...
Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #12
Indy_62

Drives: 2017 2SS / 2003 S10 Crew Cab
I used a similar filter for my twin cam Harley. No problems in 6 years of use. It also had a magnet to attract any stray metal.

Indy_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
Brudda*Termite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_62 View Post
I used a similar filter for my twin cam Harley. No problems in 6 years of use. It also had a magnet to attract any stray metal.

Sounds like that one might have been a PurePower unit...
Old 01-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #14
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda*Termite View Post
Anybody in here using a lifetime oil filter like what Hubb and PurePower make? I've been piloting them in my fleet and am wondering if I have the guts to put one on my car. They work great from what I'm seeing on my work vehicles, but experimenting with my own car, different story. At least they look cool...
Nuts. Guys old enough to have owned a car with a canister oil filter will remember what a PITA and mess it was to change one. Also keep in mind that engineers spec the bypass valve on OEM filters.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when some poor soul files a claim with GM for a blown engine and tries to explain the "lifetime" oil filter.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote