Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #1513
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
The 440-horsepower* Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine features a "runner in the box"

Runner in the box, sounds like my ex .

This is kinda cool for a Mustang. Not that I would buy one.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #1514
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
no the ZL1 in stock street SAE net trim did NOT make 500 hp. not even close.

http://www.e-rods.com/Engines/big_block_history.htm

Like the L88, the ZL1 required 103 octane RON (minimum) fuel, which made both engines largely unsuitable for street use in an era where 102 octane RON (Sunoco 260) represented the highest octane gasoline sold at common retail stations. Impressive as the ZL1 was in its day and despite the "larger than life legends" surrounding it, actual engine dyno tests of a certified production line stock ZL1 revealed 376 SAE net HP, with output swelling to 524 Gross HP with the help of optimal carb. and ignition tuning, open long tube racing headers and with no power sapping engine accessories or air cleaner in place. ZL1 DYNO TEST - COPO CAMARO WEBSITE

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55107

LikFactory dyno tests of the time showed that the ZL-1 engine produced 575 hp and 515 lb-ft of torque with open headers.

take a BOSS429, Pontiac 421, Buick stage1 455, and 427 cammer, and dyno it in SAE gross configuration like the ZL1 dyno sessions you mention and you might be suprised.e

the L88, the ZL1 required 103 octane RON (minimum) fuel, which mahttp://www.e-rods.com/Engide both engines largely unsuitable for street use in an era where 102 octane RON (Sunoco 260) represented the highest octane gasoline sold at common retail stations. Impressive as the ZL1 was in its day and despite the "larger than life legends" surrounding it, actual engine dyno tests of a certified production line stock ZL1 revealed 376 SAE net HP, with output swelling to 524 Gross HP with the help of optimal carb. and ignition tuning, open long tube racing headers and with no power sapping engine accessories or air cleaner in place. ZL1 DYNO TEST - COPO CAMARO WEBSITE
Like the L88, the ZL1 required 103 octane RON (minimum) fuel, which made both engines largely unsuitable for street use in an era where 102 octane RON (Sunoco 260) represented the highest octane gasoline sold at common retail stations. Impressive as the ZL1 was in its day and despite the "larger than life legends" surrounding it, actual engine dyno tests of a certified production line stock ZL1 revealed 376 SAE net HP, with output swelling to 524 Gross HP with the help of optimal carb. and ignition tuning, open long tube racing headers and with no power sapping engine accessories or air cleaner in place. ZL1 DYNO TEST - COPO CAMARO WEBSITE
Well first off i never said they were 500hp so idk where you got that figure from, and second im still gonna stick to my oppinion on it cause im pretty sure there's a reason they became such legendary motors other than people just whistlin dixie out of their asses.
Whats the deal with the ZL1 discussion anyways? Other than the fact that you seem all too adimate about tearing it down, this is a thread about the Boss 302, so i dont even see why the issue came up in the first place.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #1515
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Well first off i never said they were 500hp so idk where you got that figure from, and second im still gonna stick to my oppinion on it cause im pretty sure there's a reason they became such legendary motors other than people just whistlin dixie out of their asses.
Whats the deal with the ZL1 discussion anyways? Other than the fact that you seem all too adimate about tearing it down, this is a thread about the Boss 302, so i dont even see why the issue came up in the first place.

not tearing it down. my dad had a buddy with one. he described it as a motor the could not be driven uphill in the rain with the n50-15's of the day. The zl1 was brought into this discussion as with so many other discussions about "this car or that car" by people who cannot win a debate with the vehicles originally mentioned in the debate.

peeps bring the corvette card, or ZL1 card, or some other extremism in the discussion.

just because i disagree with a point brought, doesnt mean i'm tearing anything down. my personal poison is all cadillac's and a few select mustangs. i wouldnt even own a 2011 if it wasnt for the Coyote. i dont love the styling.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #1516
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy_z28 View Post
the stock 5.0 beats the Camaro SS, not by much, but it still does. The Boss will rape the SS and the 5.0 GT as it has less weight, and more power, but I be non of us will see many boss cars around, so im not to worried...
The boss wil be nice and quick from factory. Problem will be cost. Expect way over MSRP. Adding a few options to the camaro would allow the camaro to beat the boss and still be at a lesser cost. CAI, DT headers, tune and gears. Also, mustang has 3.73 and 19" rims. Adding 4.10 to a camaro it gets and scoots.. Boss would not be an issue then.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #1517
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
when will the modded vs stock comparison stop? buy an 89 civic hatch, put 3500 into it, and for $3501 you will have something that beats both.

the boss will be a terror at the track, no matter how you want to look at it. it will be significantly quicker around a track than a mustang gt brembo packaged car, which is already neck and neck with the m3.
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #1518
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Last night, some suspension tweaks were made and several test passes were made. We ended up with 3 10-second slips and a ton of 11-second slips. The car now has over 120 track passes!

It really needs a set of cams to get the full power out of the current mods. There is no weight reduction other than removing the spare tire and jack and of course the wheels/tires. The car weighed 3,680 lbs.

Mods are:

Livernois Motorsports 12:1 Pistons
Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 CNC Heads
FRPP Manifold
Stainless Works Headers, Catted Mid-Pipe, and Catback
CAI
4.10 Ring & Pinion
Circle D Stall Converter
Livernois Motorsports 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune
FRPP Springs & Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Drag Radials/Skinnies

Video taken of the camera screen by cell phone. Better video coming soon!

VIDEO

-Rick
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #1519
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
when will the modded vs stock comparison stop? buy an 89 civic hatch, put 3500 into it, and for $3501 you will have something that beats both.

the boss will be a terror at the track, no matter how you want to look at it. it will be significantly quicker around a track than a mustang gt brembo packaged car, which is already neck and neck with the m3.

agreed. his comment is like the ZL1 comments. it takes the thread to the twilight zone. if anyone thinks the BOSS is tapped they are fooling thmselves like the 2011 GT was tapped.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #1520
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
The Boss looks like an awesome car.....

Problem with the 1/4 racing is finding someone who can actually DRIVE one and not just quote out of the "motor trend" mag how fast their car is which is all I've seen at the track since the 5.0 came out. I have yet to see anybody go faster than a 13.2 in a stock 5.0 with 3.73's in it. And I'm talking during bad weather and in almost perfect weather. So, again, it's all about the driver. And I'm at a track almost every weekend.

But of course, then come all the "mustang" excuses:

I couldnt get no traction...

The track isnt prepped right..

My foot slipped...

I missed 2nd gear...

I missed 3rd gear...

I missed 4th gear...

and on and on....

Dont get me wrong, I like the new mustang, I wish I could afford both but I can't. I preffered the Camaro for whatever reason...

So if this BOSS mustang is going to be so much better than the gt then I guess it's going to be faster than the gt500 which has 110 more h/p than the BOSSOr maybe motor trend will put the numbers to make "sense" and say the Boss will run a 12.6 stock since the gt runs 12.7 and the gt500 runs 12.5

I guess I'll have to see it to beleive it but by then I'll be running 10's
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #1521
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
The Boss looks like an awesome car.....

Problem with the 1/4 racing is finding someone who can actually DRIVE one and not just quote out of the "motor trend" mag how fast their car is which is all I've seen at the track since the 5.0 came out. I have yet to see anybody go faster than a 13.2 in a stock 5.0 with 3.73's in it. And I'm talking during bad weather and in almost perfect weather. So, again, it's all about the driver. And I'm at a track almost every weekend.

But of course, then come all the "mustang" excuses:

I couldnt get no traction...

The track isnt prepped right..

My foot slipped...

I missed 2nd gear...

I missed 3rd gear...

I missed 4th gear...

and on and on....

Dont get me wrong, I like the new mustang, I wish I could afford both but I can't. I preffered the Camaro for whatever reason...

So if this BOSS mustang is going to be so much better than the gt then I guess it's going to be faster than the gt500 which has 110 more h/p than the BOSSOr maybe motor trend will put the numbers to make "sense" and say the Boss will run a 12.6 stock since the gt runs 12.7 and the gt500 runs 12.5

I guess I'll have to see it to beleive it but by then I'll be running 10's
So let me get this straight.

If you didn't see it with your eyes at your own track it didn't happen?
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #1522
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
So let me get this straight.

If you didn't see it with your eyes at your own track it didn't happen?
I'm just sayin motortrend exagerates their numbers for ford and then goes back and lowers the numbers for chevy...

Last year the camaro ss according to m/t mag was 12.9

Their first report of the 5.0 was also 12.9

now this year same 2010 camaro ss 13.0 and sometimes 13.1

now the 5.0 is at 12.7

a few months ago the zr1 vette was at 11.2

now all of a sudden it's 11.5 in this month's mag against the 911.WTF?? I guess the porsche had to win 1 of the categories...

That's all I'm sayin....don't believe everything you read

I didnt believe my camaro ss could run 12.9 stock at 4150 lbs with me in it but I did it myself and saw alot of other camaro owners also do it.

Maybe I'll see a 5.0 do it this weekend.............................doubt it
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #1523
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Yea I am sure M/T was exaggerating the GT500 when they ran a sad 12.8 against the SS.

I guess until I see a 5th gen SS run better than a 13.3 at my track they are all 13.3 or slower cars. So unfortunately I don't believe you ran a 12.9 either.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #1524
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended

Drives: 1993 Rustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
I'm just sayin motortrend exagerates their numbers for ford and then goes back and lowers the numbers for chevy...

Last year the camaro ss according to m/t mag was 12.9

Their first report of the 5.0 was also 12.9

now this year same 2010 camaro ss 13.0 and sometimes 13.1

now the 5.0 is at 12.7

a few months ago the zr1 vette was at 11.2

now all of a sudden it's 11.5 in this month's mag against the 911.WTF?? I guess the porsche had to win 1 of the categories...

That's all I'm sayin....don't believe everything you read

I didnt believe my camaro ss could run 12.9 stock at 4150 lbs with me in it but I did it myself and saw alot of other camaro owners also do it.

Maybe I'll see a 5.0 do it this weekend.............................doubt it
Man, didn't you know that Motor Trend has only one single writer and one single driver that travel the globe performing these test drives and races?? Sound dumb? Well it is. That's why the times fluctuate. Just like they do at the track you frequent so often. You take this stuff way too serious man. When you bought your SS, did you honestly think that Ford would never produce a Mustang that would beat it? Stay tuned, Chevy has their answer to the 5.0 and the BOSS coming real soon...
REEFBLUE93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #1525
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFBLUE93 View Post
Man, didn't you know that Motor Trend has only one single writer and one single driver that travel the globe performing these test drives and races?? Sound dumb? Well it is. That's why the times fluctuate. Just like they do at the track you frequent so often. You take this stuff way too serious man. When you bought your SS, did you honestly think that Ford would never produce a Mustang that would beat it? Stay tuned, Chevy has their answer to the 5.0 and the BOSS coming real soon...
I understand your point and I absolutely don't take it too serious. Ford has always been on their game and it doesnt surprise me that they seriously stepped it up because they hadnt stepped it up since maybe '92. I'm glad they did because one manufacturer will always try to outdo the other and usually thats all good for us consumers.

And as far as the times fluctuating, not really what I've personally seen...On decent runs I've seen between 13.2 and 13.5. I've seen worse but I'm not going to count the times when a guy does his stock tire burnout in the water-box and then spins the first 100 feet of track. I'm just talking about good runs. Believe me, Ive seen camaros run 15 seconds too but if the person cannot drive, why even talk about it.

I got nothing against fords or stangs. I've owned 6 fords in the past, including 3 different stangs, and I still have my f-150 and I love it. I just feel that since the 5.0 came out "alot" of mustang fanatics are real quick to stomp on the new camaro and say how slow it is compared to the new stang. I just havent seen any that impressed me yet, that's all
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #1526
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Yea I am sure M/T was exaggerating the GT500 when they ran a sad 12.8 against the SS.

I guess until I see a 5th gen SS run better than a 13.3 at my track they are all 13.3 or slower cars. So unfortunately I don't believe you ran a 12.9 either.
Its all good....to each his own

Tags
camaro, camaro vs mustang, cobra, faster, mods, mustang, race