Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #533
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
The sprung AND unsprung weight differential, Base-to-Base per corner, approaches 40 lb. Wheels-tires-suspension-brakes.

Edited, and thanks.
I get it now - thanks!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #534
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub

And lest we forget: thanks to the Z/28, a ZL1 can now be driven off a GM dealer lot with Recaro seats and Z/28 rims/rubber

Perhaps you could share the source of the "fact" you can now order a ZL1 with Z/28 19" wheels and tires?!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #535
TrackClub

Quote:
Perhaps you could share the source of the "fact" you can now order a ZL1 with Z/28 19" wheels and tires?!
"Now" as in "now that the Z/28 is here". I am expecting dealers to stock parts as they do for all cars they sell. And if not, being able to order them and install them on a Camaro of my choice (assuming they fit).
Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #536
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
"Now" as in "now that the Z/28 is here". I am expecting dealers to stock parts as they do for all cars they sell. And if not, being able to order them and install them on a Camaro of my choice (assuming they fit).
I doubt you would want to pay dealer prices for them to add to another Camaro. I bet they will be very expensive, you would be better off buying aftermarket.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #537
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Again, as the picker of nits as you've turned out to be, I'm sure you'd want to have that *disclaimer* CLEARLY cited so as NOT to confuse us Camaro comrades with the incorrect notion that such an option exists on the OEM order form.

Taking your notion to its logical extension, I guess we can get that Chev dealer to supply us with a Z/28.R as well. Only VIN'd and rustproofed/Scotchgarded, too...

I doubt Paul Sadlon will have a host of Z/28 rolling stock hanging from the Parts dep't rafters...
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #538
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I doubt you would want to pay dealer prices for them to add to another Camaro. I bet they will be very expensive, you would be better off buying aftermarket.
He's accustomed to paying BMW prices for things. GM's prices will be a bloody rare treat.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #539
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
He's accustomed to paying BMW prices for things. GM's prices will be a bloody rare treat.
LOL, I remember back when I had to replace two chrome 18" wheels on my Saturn Sky, it was $1500 just for the two of them, thank God that my insurance covered them.
I kept one of them and made an end table out of it for my den.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #540
TrackClub

Quote:
Never owned a Bimmer. Extremely satisfied C5 Z06 owner here. Considering new purchase choices. Hence I am here. Not motivated by flashy slogans or gushy marketing. Don't like koolaid. Hence I am here. But I am starting to get a feeling I am at a wrong place...
Old 01-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #541
TrackClub

Quote:
Totally agree. Just making a point what can be purchased from GM dealer vs aftermarket for the purpose of comparing the 2 cars. I would have to be nuts to pay the dealer prices for rims not to mention tires!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #542
TrackClub

Quote:
Again, as the picker of nits as you've turned out to be, I'm sure you'd want to have that *disclaimer* CLEARLY cited so as NOT to confuse us Camaro comrades with the incorrect notion that such an option exists on the OEM order form.

Taking your notion to its logical extension, I guess we can get that Chev dealer to supply us with a Z/28.R as well. Only VIN'd and rustproofed/Scotchgarded, too...

I doubt Paul Sadlon will have a host of Z/28 rolling stock hanging from the Parts dep't rafters...
You mean I have to have a disclaimer about expecting a dealer to carry/be able to order spare parts for a z/28?! Let's be serious and if you doubt dealers won't have key Z/28 parts on hand, then folks better not dream about taking their cars to a track. But I am sure the GM/dealer supply chain is smarter than that.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #543
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Chevy Performance isn't Summit, but they absolutely want to be in the aftermarket parts business with parts out of production inventory. Oh wait, Becky and Maureen are already doing that at Rogers Chevrolet.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #544
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Indeed, Pete, Rodgers will get you want you want/need in a flash. A "supplier of choice".
Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #545
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post

So are you going to be able to get one Ofer?
As for the price i was thinking the car price was going to be more so the fact it only this price, gives me more to spend on mods.

In a word yes as sone as the dealer get the Allocation for the car.

Quote:
If you are comparing any two production cars you should only be comparing them as they come from the factory. Once you throw into the comparison, "If this car had ----- or this car had ----- the other car has", you are invalidating your comparison.
you got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Why are some of you seemingly reacting so heavily to the question of tires on an otherwise stock ZL1? I fail to see why such harsh reactions to this relatively simple suggestion of a comparison are being made. I have a ZL1 and have no issue of which is top dog, even with tires. It's a reasonable question for an enthusiast looking to purchase a track car from the Chevy stable to ask. I think this site gets bashed by being un-objective at times and this appears to be one of those times. I'm as Chevy loyal as they come (4 new Chevrolets that I own) and have had nothing but GM for the past 25 years. This question of putting stickier tires on a ZL1 is rationale one for somebody looking to purchase a trackable Camaro. I'm fairly certain exploration of this question will not discredit the Z/28 or hurt sales in any way.
I love the ZL1 its a grate car, but i want a NA car, where i live and drive we get hot in the summer time, 120+ and no FI lives long when you run it hard in this temp.

That said, we or I am tired of members saying that the only way the Z/28 is faster is the tires, its not the tires, its the engineering that went in to this car, it was made to be a track car first, the ZL1 was made to be a FI car with all the bell's and whistle's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Why? Because ZL1 owners have been complaining that it isn't fair the Z/28 has better tires since the Z/28 was announced. If you want to improve the performance of your personal car, then that is fine but if you want the ZL1 to get the Z/28 tires in an attempt to beat a stock Z/28, then that is a whole different issue. You may not want to discredit the Z/28 but a lot of people came to this subforum posing the same question in an attempt to do so.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Why would the tires matter in recalibrating the suspension anyway? The car sits on top of the springs and shocks, sprung weight. That is what the ECU is reading along with the speed sensors. Just lowering the CG will not affect the Mag ride. If you lower it excessively then you have an issue. I lowered my ZL1 and have had no recalibration issues.
But you lost travel in the suspension by doing it that way, they did it with 1 in lower rims and tires.

Quote:
Agree: "bring what you got" from your local GM dealer! And no, you can't get more power there for either of the cars. And why should a car that already costs 50% more need any additional options? As to the "nose heavy" ZL1: its F/R axle weight distribution is: 51.8 to 48.2. What's Z/28's? If you know it pls post it as I can't find it. Thanks!
And they did that by adding more to the rear and front so it did not loss to much.

Quote:

Good luck with that, i dont, it will take a law by congress to get the rims out of GM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #546
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Good luck with that, i dont, it will take a law by congress to get the rims out of GM.
Then all Zapper owners should really worry. I'd never buy a car if I couldn't get replacement parts for it easily. But let me make it simpler: ZL1 has optional wheels that weigh the same as the Z/28's (as far as I can tell based on its 2014 brochure). 285/305 tire combo aint bad given the car has more torque.

Tags
2014 camaro z28, 2014 camaro z28 forum, 2014 camaro z28 forums, 2014 chevy camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z/28 nurburgring, camaro z/28 nurburgring time, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, camaro z28 nurburgring, camaro z28 nurburgring time, chevy camaro z28, chevy camaro z28 forum, chevy camaro z28 forums, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new camaro z28 forums, z/28 forum, z28 forum, z28 forums