Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
vincentcamaro

Drives: Camaro SS 2013
Finally got the dream car!

I've been in love with this car ever since the reveal in transformers when I was a young snot nose 17 year old. I have a 2013 black SS with I'm guessing the rs package because it has the halo lights and the black leather seats with the SS on the headrest. I finally got it but I'm a complete car noob and I have ALOT of questions that keep coming to my head.

1)Theft prevention.* I've read that Onstar is pointless when dealing with a professional car booster. What are the best ways to prevent theft or know where my car is at* all times. I wish there was an app that was like Uber where it shows you and your car on the map.

2)Leather Care. I'm already real ocd about keeping it clean and in good condition. I noticed one spot was the driver seat cracking a bit. I want to treat this to make it better and to prevent more cracking. I've seen special microfiber cloths that are specific to cleaning leather but none of the cloths are black (my favorite color) I'm wondering if I just buy a black microfiber cloth from amazon if it'll work the same with some leather cleaner?

3)Detailing. I want to keep my car looking like I just bought it. I don't want to wash my own car because I feel I won't clean it right. What would be the best way to do this? Should I go to the Chevy service center and have them detail it? Are there specific companies that would do better?

4)Rim's & Tires. I have stocked brushed 2013 Camargo rims. I want the same rims but Chrome but I want the original stock ones and don't know a legit website to get them from. Right now I have Pirelli tires, what are the best tires I can get for the ss?

5)Accesories. Like the rims, I want to know where I can find the best website or place I can go to get the best stock accessories or official gm Accesories for the ss.

6)Mods.Now I'll say all the things I want to do with my ss from the front to the back and maybe you guys can help with the best suggestions or references. Double halo headlights or "demon halo headlights". I want the zl1 front splitter and matching side rockers and matching rear splitter or bumper with the stock dual exhausts(the ones that came with the 1le). I don't want the zl1 front bumper just the splitter because I like the ss foglights. Also I might get the halo fog lights or just the matching led foglights I'm still thinking. I definitely want red neon lights everywhere possible in the car but I'm in California so I don't know if any of it is legal. The inside is great I have the black leather already I just want to do the full ambient lighting and I want to change the stock blue lighting to red.

Well that's all I can think of right now I'll edit this post if I think of more. Thanks in advance I'm so stoked to be apart of the Camaro 5th gen family FINALLY!

Edit: forgot to say it was black and it's raining where I'm at and I see spots on the car already. Best way to clean it before I detail it?
vincentcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Yeah, you definitely need to make security a priority. Where you live, as I am sure you know, is one of the worst places to own one of these cars. Unfortunately, that is not something I can help you with...but someone else surely will.

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? You might want to read up on the differences between them, as they have slightly different engines and horsepower/torque ratings. This will come into play when you decide to start modding under the hood. For example, the manual has an LS3 engine (426 crank HP), the auto has an L99 (400 crank HP).

Many of the owners of black Camaros have become self-trained detailing and paint care experts, and I am certain they will chime in.

One of the best websites for stuff for our cars is http://www.phastekperformance.com/ - We have a lot of other great vendors/forum sponsors that specialize in all sorts of areas. Phastek just happens to be one of my favorites.

Anyhow, you will learn a TON from this forum and made the right choice joining. Do as much reading as you can handle and don't be afraid to ask 'noobish' questions. We are all pretty cool here and we luckily have some brilliant minds helping out.

Good luck, welcome, and congrats!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 01-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Check these out for the wheels. (I have them)

http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/6879/860%2Dchrome/

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Get this. It works.
Attached Images

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Theloots

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Welcome my friend !!
I'm a bit of a clean freq and I don't get fancy .....for cleaning rims and tires what i find cleans excellently is actually found at the dollar store is't called "awesome". I spray that on the wheels and tires give them a brushing with a soft brush (one at a time) and rinse. The tires sty a nice flat black and don't "brown up" on you. I'm not a fan if shiny ties but that is preference only.
For care of the paint, I've used "Gliptone" with carnuba and when it rains ... I always wipe down the big spots before the sun dries them up.
If your paint ever gets gritty to the touch you get 3M polishing compound and apply with circular motions but wax it right after wit the gliptone. The paint will be like a baby's ass !
The rest of your task is to make sure you drive it like you stole it so you can get perm-a-smile.
For touch up waxing ... Honda makes a great motorcycle spray cleaner wax that takes grease and light tar off your car and leaves a waxed surface behind.
I have the automatic and did a Borla cat-back S-Type and a Cold air intake. I can feel a bit of difference in torque and acceleration. Oh by the way ... I can't get rid of this smile on my face!!! LOL.
Best of luck and safe travels Brotha !
Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Good job Vincent!!! Congrats!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
I defiantly agree on the theft protection being your number one priority. Kill switch awesome alarm. maybe guard dog watching your Camaro and double barrel shotgun
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Probably been said before, but maybe leaving out details of theft prevention on a public forum is in order.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:39 AM   #9
Camaro85

Drives: 2015 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentcamaro View Post
I've been in love with this car ever since the reveal in transformers when I was a young snot nose 17 year old. I have a 2013 black SS with I'm guessing the rs package because it has the halo lights and the black leather seats with the SS on the headrest. I finally got it but I'm a complete car noob and I have ALOT of questions that keep coming to my head.

1)Theft prevention.* I've read that Onstar is pointless when dealing with a professional car booster. What are the best ways to prevent theft or know where my car is at* all times. I wish there was an app that was like Uber where it shows you and your car on the map.

2)Leather Care. I'm already real ocd about keeping it clean and in good condition. I noticed one spot was the driver seat cracking a bit. I want to treat this to make it better and to prevent more cracking. I've seen special microfiber cloths that are specific to cleaning leather but none of the cloths are black (my favorite color) I'm wondering if I just buy a black microfiber cloth from amazon if it'll work the same with some leather cleaner?

3)Detailing. I want to keep my car looking like I just bought it. I don't want to wash my own car because I feel I won't clean it right. What would be the best way to do this? Should I go to the Chevy service center and have them detail it? Are there specific companies that would do better?

4)Rim's & Tires. I have stocked brushed 2013 Camargo rims. I want the same rims but Chrome but I want the original stock ones and don't know a legit website to get them from. Right now I have Pirelli tires, what are the best tires I can get for the ss?

5)Accesories. Like the rims, I want to know where I can find the best website or place I can go to get the best stock accessories or official gm Accesories for the ss.

6)Mods.Now I'll say all the things I want to do with my ss from the front to the back and maybe you guys can help with the best suggestions or references. Double halo headlights or "demon halo headlights". I want the zl1 front splitter and matching side rockers and matching rear splitter or bumper with the stock dual exhausts(the ones that came with the 1le). I don't want the zl1 front bumper just the splitter because I like the ss foglights. Also I might get the halo fog lights or just the matching led foglights I'm still thinking. I definitely want red neon lights everywhere possible in the car but I'm in California so I don't know if any of it is legal. The inside is great I have the black leather already I just want to do the full ambient lighting and I want to change the stock blue lighting to red.

Well that's all I can think of right now I'll edit this post if I think of more. Thanks in advance I'm so stoked to be apart of the Camaro 5th gen family FINALLY!

Edit: forgot to say it was black and it's raining where I'm at and I see spots on the car already. Best way to clean it before I detail it?
Viper makes great security alarms. And they also have an app that can't alert you if someone tries entering.
Camaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
moons21

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Convert
For detailing and cleaning YouTube will be you friend and foe..... Adams, Chemical Guys, AmmoNYC and the Junkman are great at showing the techniques to keep your ride looking sharp. Be ready to spend a lot of time in the garage to get the results you are looking for and don't cheap out on your chemicals or towels.... the filler waxes etc. Are just that.... fillers..look good for a short time but swirls will still be there. took me 8hrs with a da polisher to get the "love" marks out of the paint that the previous owner put in for me. Time, patience and knowledge will give you that shine you are looking for.

moons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
vincentcamaro

Drives: Camaro SS 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by moons21 View Post
For detailing and cleaning YouTube will be you friend and foe..... Adams, Chemical Guys, AmmoNYC and the Junkman are great at showing the techniques to keep your ride looking sharp. Be ready to spend a lot of time in the garage to get the results you are looking for and don't cheap out on your chemicals or towels.... the filler waxes etc. Are just that.... fillers..look good for a short time but swirls will still be there. took me 8hrs with a da polisher to get the "love" marks out of the paint that the previous owner put in for me. Time, patience and knowledge will give you that shine you are looking for.

Wow I just found Chemical Guys on YouTube this morning. I'm thinking of getting their black car kit but have a feeling that won't be enough. I'll definitely binge watch yt vids about detailing though. But so you're saying once I get rid of the swirls by following the instructions they end up coming back anyway?
vincentcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Just bought chemical guys butter wet wax - $17 amazon. 3.5 hours to wash/wax the Honda. Hand applied with triple buff. Good stuff. Easy on/off. No need for one section at a time with this product. Next up the Camaro.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #13
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Congrats! But,
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #14
moons21

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentcamaro View Post
Wow I just found Chemical Guys on YouTube this morning. I'm thinking of getting their black car kit but have a feeling that won't be enough. I'll definitely binge watch yt vids about detailing though. But so you're saying once I get rid of the swirls by following the instructions they end up coming back anyway?
The only way to get rid of the swirls is by polishing...I had to use a correction polish then a finishing polish to truly get rid of them before sealing, glaze then wax. The "black" waxes have fillers that help to hide them temporarily, but a wax is not a polish, watch some vids on 1 or 2 step polishing, sometimes you need to compound before polishing to get rid of real bad swirls....black is a labor of love.. And when done correctly.. looks amazing!
Here is my wife's 8 yr old truck after a two step polish...

moons21 is offline   Reply With Quote