Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Great Job and some Constructive Criticism for the GM Camaro team...

First, let me say that this is NOT meant, in any way, to be a negative post. It is simply praise, personal impressions, and even some constructive criticism for anyone (GM) that may be able to make use of it.

Second, my wife and I fell in love with this car and a 2SS/RS order has been in our name since October of 2008.

THE PRIASE:

I must give the Camaro team and GM a HUMONGOUS thumbs up on the work that they did on this car. It is absolutely awesome. One of the greatest things about the 2010 Camaro is that it stayed so close to the original concept design.

My Wife and I went to the Fort Worth auto show a few weeks ago to see the RJT 2LT and loved it. We also went to the Dallas auto show yesterday to see all 4 that they have there. Our 20 year old Son came with us and he was completely taken back by the new Camaro at first sight. His first comment was “Whoa <long pause> that is one awesome looking car.” He even liked it better than the Corvette’s. The only cars that appealed to him more were the Lamborghini and the Audi R8 -- but those are cars in a completely different league. We FINALLY got to sit in the red LS and, I have to say again great job GM. The car is comfortable and adjustable to fit just about anyone that wants to drive it. I am 6’2” and I fit very comfortably (even with my ball cap on). The controls and dash are different than what we are used to in our other GM vehicles, but they are very functional and will be very easy to adjust to. We wanted to test the back seat (so to speak), so my wife climbed back there behind the drivers seat and I was still able to be comfortable in the drivers seat. Granted, this is not a spacious Tahoe, but the back seats are usable. Overall, great job and we are as excited as ever to get our 2SS/RS this year.

THE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:

I believe that to give someone a pat on the back without a suggestion of improvement is doing them an injustice. Therefore, I will make a few suggestions where I think that the Camaro team could have made improvements.

The first critique is actually a suggestion from my wife. She compared the Camaro interior to the Mustang and Challenger. The seats and paneling she called as an even tie – and I have to agree. She initially liked the big screens gadgets in the Challenger and Mustang until I asked her the question – “do you really think that a screen looks good in a muscle car” – to which she responded – “no, on second thought, that belongs in a car like a Cadillac”. She liked the contouring and general dash layout of the Camaro the best because it wasn’t so flat, but she believes that GM could have done a better job trimming out the Camaro dash. She specifically mentioned how the chrome trim on the challenger gauges and even the quasi-metal on the mustang provide a much higher quality impression than the plastic painted silver trim of the Camaro. I have to say that I agree with her 100% on that.

The second (and last) critique is actually a pretty big one to both of us. When we first looked at the RJT in the Ft. Worth auto show, we were very much in awe, but there was just something missing. We couldn’t quite put our finger on exactly what it was, but there was something missing from the overall exterior aggressive presents felt when compared to looking at the concept. Originally, I thought it was due to the reduction in width. Turns out, that is NOT what it was – it was actually the wheels. I know that I am not alone when I say that wheels are a HUGE factor in the appearance of a car. Well, when we got the look at the LS7 Camaro, it all became apparent. GM basically went Cadillac-esque on the production wheels (i.e. – the rear wheels do not flare). If anyone out there shares this impression, then you really, really, REALLY need to see the LS7 Camaro. The aggressive stance is much greater. You cannot really see this in any pictures but it makes a huge difference. IF ANYONE FROM GM HAPPENS TO READ THIS, PLEASE MAKE THE LS7 WHEELS AVAILBLE FROM YOUR ACCESSORY LINE. Those 305-35-ZR20’s on the back and 255-40-ZR20’s will be a must on our 2SS/RS.

Again, great overall job on the Camaro GM. It is, without a doubt, the hottest looking modern muscle car out there.

FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Thanks.. glad you and your wife and son fell in love with the Camaro.
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Good post!
Jferrell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I second the RJT.
It looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in person.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
Your quite welcome
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
AlaskaZ06

Drives: 1968 RS/SS 396
Great post! I agree with you on the wheels
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible
1971 Corvette convertible
1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro
2009 335i xdrive BMW[/B]
AlaskaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ

Just kidding!

I ordered the 21" wheels because I agree with you there. I'm hoping the taller wheels can make up for some of that.

If I'm not mistaken, the production model is taller in overall height. It could be another reason for the production car not looking quite as aggresive as the concept.

As far as the interior goes. It's probably a product of GM wanting to make this car more affordable. For those of us ordering the SSs, it may be that we're kind of 'paying the price', so to speak, for the car being more affordable in some ways but it's still a pretty good deal. My wifes IS350 was 42k and for less than that I'll have a faster car that I love, than my wifes, that she loves.

Good topic. I agree with you're assesment. Love this car.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Koolwip
Steve & Stefani

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
21 inch wheel? That is available?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Yup! it's a dealer installed item. It's a $4865.00 option though. But the dealer should give you the rims and tires that come stock! It's up to the dealer but like I said I got it in writing. I can scan my invoice for you to print and show your dealer if they try to pull some bull. GM told my dealer it was up to them what they do with the stock 20" rims and tires.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Koolwip
Steve & Stefani

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cool. Thaks for the info. I will check with them. That is a hefty add.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Anyone got pictures of a SS vs the LS7 back wheels? I don't think i've noticed this non flare vs flare yet..
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
The best way that I can describe, in words, how the LS7 wheels make a difference is that they make the hips look like they have a purpose.

If you stand at the front of a production Camaro, the front and the back wheels are the same width. On the LS7, the back wheels flare out slightly and makes the hips look like they are needed for the wider tires.

Since there are not that many pictures of the LS7 to show what I mean, please allow me to use the 69 Camaro as an example -- It also has hips.

This is a stock 69 Camaro. It has hips but they seem to have no purpose for those rear wheels -- the front and rear wheels are pretty much the same width:

Now, a 69 Camaro with wider rear tires. The hips look necessary to accommodate those wheels and tires. Much more agressive:

Now, I know that they rear wheels on the 2010 Camaro are slightly wider than the front tires but the additional width is pushed to the inside. I believe the 305's are as wide as this body can handle and the slight flare to the outside REALLY makes the whole package better. When I was lurking around the Dallas auto show Camaro's (for hours) there were many people who were looking at the Camaro for the first time and commented on how the LS7 looked "more tough" than the production due to the wheels. These are people that had no idea about what was under the hood either.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
SnoMoDude600

Drives: 2001 Ford Crown Victoria LX
The interior is defiantly different from any other GM. But that is also what make this car that much more special. It is truthfully a muscle car in that regard. I was able to sit in the red SS at the Chicago auto show and i was so mesmerized by it that i had forgotten to take pictures. You do not sit in this car, YOU PUT IT ON! It sucked me in when i sat in the seat. I got an adrenaline rush just sitting in it, let alone starting it and driving it. There are some compromises in it but you get what you pay for. The mustang has nicer trim but it has a solid rear axle and anemic engines. The Challenger has navigation but is overweight and over priced. Good job to all on the Camaro team and GM. They have given what the MAJORITY of the people want. And they should be commended for that!
SnoMoDude600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
THE PRIASE:
Agreed, there's a lot to like about the new Camaro.

Quote:
She specifically mentioned how the chrome trim on the challenger gauges and even the quasi-metal on the mustang provide a much higher quality impression than the plastic painted silver trim of the Camaro. I have to say that I agree with her 100% on that.
I won't be to critical until I see it in person, but it could really benefit from some chrome IMO (especially on the 2LT/2SS trims), particularly the gauge cluster.

Quote:
Well, when we got the look at the LS7 Camaro, it all became apparent. GM basically went Cadillac-esque on the production wheels (i.e. – the rear wheels do not flare). If anyone out there shares this impression, then you really, really, REALLY need to see the LS7 Camaro. The aggressive stance is much greater. You cannot really see this in any pictures but it makes a huge difference.
Just from the pictures the LS7 wheels look better than anything GM is offering. Wheels like that would really go a long way to making the RS package feel more complete IMO.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote