Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Went for a ride in a new Z/28 today.

So i ran up to my dealer for a quick re-learn of the tire sensor monitors(i have 2 sets of tires/rims and sensors)and my service manager asked if i wanted to go for a ride in a new Z/28...uhhhh, let me think for a min haha! I have a personal working relationship with him, which is a good thing. As i have my 2nd broken windshield in less then a year he will once again hook me up.

So it's hard to really give much feedback on the ride from the right seat, but being in such an iconic car was pretty cool. The ride was stiff as you would expect, and on the frwy(windows up and air conditioning on)there was a lot of noise coming from the back of the car. Apparently there isn't any carpet or anything in the trunk, just bare metal. I thought for what is technically a race car the fact that it doesn't come with the 4 pack cluster gauge pack is stupid. I mean my 1LE didn't(1SS)as well. I think since the 1LE, ZL1,(yes the ZL1 comes with it) AND Z/28 are all "Track cars" this should be standard equipment, as well as a tow hook.

My service manager told me that the 1st one the sold the guy has already ordered the standard carpeting etc. for the trunk. This isn't a car for the streets, must be nice to have north of $75,000,00 to spend on a car that is designed for the track and will never see the track. He also said that GM had defiantly De-tuned the motor, he said his Vett's 427 had more balls. The brakes aren't for street driving(obviously)and don't work well on the street, obviously they will come alive once heated and on track. It would sure be nice to put this thing thru the paces on track though.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
because the 4 pack gages are more for looks the function. real racers will put real gauges in them in a spot they can see on the track.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
because the 4 pack gages are more for looks the function. real racers will put real gauges in them in a spot they can see on the track.
Sorry I disagree...

I use mine all the time while doing sprinted or track driving.

These gages only need to be checked once in a while. The HUD keeps the speedo and rpm's where you need to see straight ahead.

Now if GM would make it so we can add the additional info to our HUD's now we'd all be happy. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
He also said that GM had defiantly De-tuned the motor, he said his Vett's 427 had more balls.
GM claims just the opposite. While both the Camaro and the Corvette are rated 505 horsepower, the Camaro has 6 more foot-pounds of torque. The guy's Vette FEELS faster because it weighs over 700 lbs. less.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Sorry I disagree...

I use mine all the time while doing sprinted or track driving.

These gages only need to be checked once in a while. The HUD keeps the speedo and rpm's where you need to see straight ahead.

Now if GM would make it so we can add the additional info to our HUD's now we'd all be happy. lol
Get a dash logic, works great and you can add more to the HUD, dic, and radio.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
pretty lucky to get a ride
Old 09-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
if it was me, id go with one of these and put some nice autometers in it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...oductId=834739

Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I love my 2013 but the mylink moved the climate control knobs down so far it rendered the gauges all but worthless.
Attached Images

chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
GM claims just the opposite. While both the Camaro and the Corvette are rated 505 horsepower, the Camaro has 6 more foot-pounds of torque. The guy's Vette FEELS faster because it weighs over 700 lbs. less.
Exactly...the engine in the Z/28 is definitely NOT detuned. Got a lot more fat to tow around, not to mention the Camaro (because of its sight lines) just feels slower than it really is.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
ZR1 has 638hp and 604lb-ft.... That's the corvette that has the LS9
Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
if it was me, id go with one of these and put some nice autometers in it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...oductId=834739

Yes! That is where the boost gauge belongs.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I love my 2013 but the mylink moved the climate control knobs down so far it rendered the gauges all but worthless.
Agreed! I guess it does depend how tall you are.

Isn't that a Barton shifter? Is it noisy? Mine was, I went back to the stock lever on my '11 SS. I wish Barton would make the shaft that will fit my 1LE shift ball. I like it. The Barton shifter is better than any of the stock shifters including the Hurst.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-04-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I think since the 1LE, ZL1,(yes the ZL1 comes with it) AND Z/28 are all "Track cars" this should be standard equipment, as well as a tow hook.

My service manager told me that the 1st one the sold the guy has already ordered the standard carpeting etc. for the trunk. This isn't a car for the streets, must be nice to have north of $75,000,00 to spend on a car that is designed for the track and will never see the track. He also said that GM had defiantly De-tuned the motor, he said his Vett's 427 had more balls. The brakes aren't for street driving(obviously)and don't work well on the street, obviously they will come alive once heated and on track. It would sure be nice to put this thing thru the paces on track though.
But isn't it cool Chevy built the Z/28? It is so impractical. The old GM after the 1960's never would have let this happen. Even when they built it they knew they would have trouble moving all of them.

I'll take mine in black with AC/Radio and trunk mats once they get down to $50K with 0%.

Respect Chevy.

In the mean time I can be happy with the second best Camaro ever.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Believe me i wasn't knocking the car. If i had money i would already have her sitting at home. I am just soooo grateful i have a 1LE, Im an ol timer and this is my 1st V8 i have ever even driven, let alone own. I am a happy camper.