Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
So I FINALLY took my cammy for a High-Speed Drive tonight, and...

So I finally took my Camaro for a high speed drive tonight.

I've had my car for about 3 weeks now and have done very little highway on it as my schedule has kept me in the city.

Just to give you an idea of how much that really sucks, My average speed to date has been only 24 Kilometers per hour. Yeah, with the endless traffic and stop lights and every freaggin' corner, Montreal blows.

So anyway tonight I FINALLY got it on the highway (40 East of the tunnel), and WOW is this thing cool. Here's what I found.

- At 70 Kh/m in 5th gear, there was tons of power to get me past 140kh/m in mere seconds.

- At 100 KHm in 6th gear, there was still lots of power to get me past 150kh/m in mere seconds. I was really surprised at how much power there was as I expected 6th gear to be useless except to save on fuel.

- At 100 KHm, my V8 was sipping fuel, at an average of - wait for it - 6.1 Litres per 100 Kilometers. WHAT ?!?!?! Is this thing sh*tin' me?

- At 120 KHm however, the average economy dropped to 7.5 L/Khm. When I slowed back down to 100, my economy improved.

- I like Rock, but found myself listening to The Symphony station on XM (I forget the #). The sound quality of the radio is pretty decent, and driving fast while listen to something slow was strangely interesting and very soothing. Was the Camaro made for classical music? (Let's say No.)

- While driving around I was running iHUD on my iPhone. It measures speed using its accelerometer and has a built in database of photo radar locations. I was able to listen to my iPhone and change music while the program was running. Sweet!

- On my way back, I take the turn off of Highway 40 West onto the Lafontaine tunnel. The off-ramp is under construction, and has large bumps and holes. I slow down to about 60kh/m, and drop it to 4th gear, and -

- I step on the gas, and WOW!!!!! No, I mean, WOW! The car stuck to the road! I felt the bumps but geezuz it accelerated quicky, and not for a second did I feel it lose its grip. My '02 Trans-Am's back-end would have bounced around all over the place, and I would have had to oversteer to correct it.

- ... But not in the Camaro. This car feels so smooth. I feel totally connected to the road yet isolated from it at the same time. The car handled the road just as if it was clear. I couldn't believe it.

This is one incredible car. I have driven BMW's and Mercedes that don't come close. This car feels like a $65,000 + car easily. I'm impressed as hell, and I'm glad I own one.

CamaroRick and the others were right, right, right. If you are getting tired of waiting for your car to arrive, don't give up!! It is completely worth the wait, and absolutely worth the price.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Now you know what 6th gear is for i drive in 6 all day long to get good mpg and it loves it as soon as i do the ram air it will get more mpg, And nice info on your ride tonight.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Metric boooooo!
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Kilometers are no fun.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
translation please
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Kilohuh?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Gee I didn't think multiples of 10 were really that hard to understand....

Americans, sigh. =p

100kmh=60mph roughly
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
Kilometers are no fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Metric boooooo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
translation please
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Kilohuh?
what a bunch of whiners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
So I finally took my Camaro for a high speed drive tonight.

I've had my car for about 3 weeks now and have done very little highway on it as my schedule has kept me in the city.

Just to give you an idea of how much that really sucks, My average speed to date has been only 15 miles per hour. Yeah, with the endless traffic and stop lights and every freaggin' corner, Montreal blows.

So anyway tonight I FINALLY got it on the highway (40 East of the tunnel), and WOW is this thing cool. Here's what I found.

- At 43mph in 5th gear, there was tons of power to get me past 87mph in mere seconds.

- At 62mph in 6th gear, there was still lots of power to get me past 93mph in mere seconds. I was really surprised at how much power there was as I expected 6th gear to be useless except to save on fuel.

- At 62mph, my V8 was sipping fuel, at an average of - wait for it - 38.6mpg. WHAT ?!?!?! Is this thing sh*tin' me?

- At 75mph however, the average economy dropped to 7.5 L/Khm. When I slowed back down to 62, my economy improved.

- I like Rock, but found myself listening to The Symphony station on XM (I forget the #). The sound quality of the radio is pretty decent, and driving fast while listen to something slow was strangely interesting and very soothing. Was the Camaro made for classical music? (Let's say No.)

- While driving around I was running iHUD on my iPhone. It measures speed using its accelerometer and has a built in database of photo radar locations. I was able to listen to my iPhone and change music while the program was running. Sweet!

- On my way back, I take the turn off of Highway 40 West onto the Lafontaine tunnel. The off-ramp is under construction, and has large bumps and holes. I slow down to about 37mph, and drop it to 4th gear, and -

- I step on the gas, and WOW!!!!! No, I mean, WOW! The car stuck to the road! I felt the bumps but geezuz it accelerated quicky, and not for a second did I feel it lose its grip. My '02 Trans-Am's back-end would have bounced around all over the place, and I would have had to oversteer to correct it.

- ... But not in the Camaro. This car feels so smooth. I feel totally connected to the road yet isolated from it at the same time. The car handled the road just as if it was clear. I couldn't believe it.

This is one incredible car. I have driven BMW's and Mercedes that don't come close. This car feels like a $65,000 + car easily. I'm impressed as hell, and I'm glad I own one.

CamaroRick and the others were right, right, right. If you are getting tired of waiting for your car to arrive, don't give up!! It is completely worth the wait, and absolutely worth the price.
translated for Todd
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
what a bunch of whiners!

translated for Todd
ok 500 thanks

j/k yeah 38.6 mpg is that off the DIC or did you come up with that after filling up
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Gee I didn't think multiples of 10 were really that hard to understand....

Americans, sigh. =p

100kmh=60mph roughly
They arent.

Btw 95Kmh = 60
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
They arent.

Btw 95Kmh = 60
Sorry but...

95 Kmh = 58.995
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
http://www.campbellsci.ca/Length.html
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
Sorry but...

95 Kmh = 58.995
Ive got a brit friend who always reffers to 95km as 60.

i guess its still closer than 100?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
This is one incredible car. I have driven BMW's and Mercedes that don't come close. .
lol.... are you sure? I mean in terms of power, sure, but I can't really remeber thinking the ride quality on this was better than a merc...

and metric FTW. it's so much easier. you guys really need to change your system.

10,100,1000,1 000 000, etc
VS
^^^^
random and totally confusing
len56 is offline   Reply With Quote