Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
ga0358

Drives: 2010 ABM LS
Chevy Volt

With gas prices continuously rising at the DROP of a hat (now it's the possibility of hurricane damage on the rigs in the gulf) the thought has crossed my mind (shiver) that a Chevy Volt may be in my future as my commute is 32 miles one way. BUT the PRICE on this thing is crazy...STARTING at $40,000 but with INCREDIBLE mpg, 60-100 mpg, which MAY pay back some of that initial lay-out. All the reviews I see from owners are 5 stars and people RAVE about them

I'm right at 24 mpg in my LS right now. Averaging $50.00 per fill-up, which is do-able, but forecasters are saying maybe $5.00 by year's end, which will bump it up to $80-$85 per WEEK!! The Volt suddenly begins to appear to be a more LUCRATIVE mode of transportation and more AFFORDABLE, but it would really break my heart to have to trade my Camaro in, but it would just MAKE SENSE ya know?? What do y'all think?? If gas keeps rising, is an electric vehicle in your future??
Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Not till technology with storage improves, that car costs GM way more than the 40k to produce, rumored to be over 100k, I wouldn't want to be stuck with it when GM drops it...... Gas in the US is still a bargain, there's always public transportation.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Nameless

Drives: :
There are other options.

I picked up my 2005 Saturn used for $7,500 and get 36-37 MPG (base model, 14 inch wheels) highway and I'm very happy with that. Hybrid what?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
Get the VW Pasat you get 800 miles on one tank of clean disel gas
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Careful with the cost payback. MPG is high, but you have to pay for the electricity too. Look at the time it takes to get to a full charge on the battery. Remember you won't be able to charge it at work either, so once you've used up your battery on the 30+ miles to work you will be running on gas all the way home.

No way an electric vehicle is in my future. Might be right for some people, mostly very short trip people, but not me.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
As much as it pains me to say it because I love the Chevy Volt for what it is, I think a better alternative would be the Cruze Eco. The only way I can see the Volt being worth it is if you have a charging station where you work so that you can charge at home, drive on electric to your office, then charge it up while at work, and drive home on electric.

I'm in the same boat as you, though. You can lease a Chevy Volt for $350 a month or you can buy them for bargains... there's some good incentives on the Volt right now and don't forget the government tax rebates you get for buying a Volt.

I've been eyeing the Volt for awhile now... My commute is 35-40 miles each way and since I work at GM World Headquarters, we have charging stations in the parking structures for Volt owners to use. Makes the idea of owning a Volt much more appealing.

PS - Shameless GM pride - Chevy Volt > Nissan Leaf.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The Volt is an interesting car for a lot of reasons. IMO the payoff isn't really worth it, not considering the high entry cost, and also opportunity cost if you're stuck with the car as the technology gets better.

There are a lot of very attractive options for getting better mileage. One of the most economical ways is to buy something like mentioned above--a used 'commuter' vehicle that will pull well over 30mpg. They're cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap on gas.

If you want a nicer rig, I'd look into a small diesel, like a VW golf/Jetta. Those regularly get over 50mpg and that little 2.0L diesel motor has proven itself time and time again.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would buy a hybrid...but that's just IMO.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Get a used motorcycle. Hell of a lot cheaper and if you get something like a Honda Shadow, you'll get about 50mpg. I've got a Yamaha V-star. Its a fairly big bike with a 1100cc engine and I'm getting 38 to 40mpg. My old bike was a Suzuki Gladius which had the same engine as their SV650 (V-twin 650) and I adveraged between 50 and 55mpg on it.

The motorcycle has become a daily driver for me here in SD. I can pretty much ride it year round, and California allows you to split lanes if traffics bad and use the car pool lanes. It makes my 30 each way trip both faster and cheaper. I got the Yamaha because I wanted something a little more comfortable for longer trips, like to Vegas and Oakland.

The girlfriend has a Sonic 1.4L Turbo and adverages 33mpg with about a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. And I hear the Desiel VW's get insane mileage. I had an instructer in school (back in the 90's) that had an 80 something Rabbit desiel that he claimed got 60mpg. I can't see the new ones getting less then that.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Keep your Camaro...get a used 4-banger to commute in like Nameless did. Hell, find a used Honda or the aforementioned Saturn and convert it to CNG gas or propane. The Volt is a great car, but if you run the figures, you will never recoup that investment versus what you will 'save' in gas.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
My friend has a late 90's TDI Passat with leather, stick, chipped, and over 200,000 miles on it and gets 55-60 mpg out of it. If diesel isn't your thing, I'd go with 2 wheels like mentioned above.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
When technology makes it possible to get 300 miles off a full charge and it takes less than eight hours to recharge..."I am in", and so will the majority of the world’s population!! I am sure I will see this happen in my lifetime.....hold on to gas engine cars boys & girls; you can show your great grandchildren!!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
We have a Volt. If you are just wanting something that gets good mpg, then it might not be for you. But if you want something that gets tons of attention, has an unreal driving experience, and will get you 70-100 mpg on your work commute, then you will want to look into it. Also, our electric bill hasn't made any observable difference.
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
The G/F and I are trading in her Stang and are trying to get a Volt.

I think they are very cool cars, with loads of options for what they are, and it's perfect for my Significant Other. Ideally, if you have a 240V setup somewhere, it will only take 4-5 hours for a full charge, whereas a 110V will take 8-10 hours, etc. She lives 18 miles from work, so ideally, she can make it to and from work without using gas. Even if she had to use gas, it would be very minimal and the 9 Gallon tank would last a very long time.

As far as the Rebates, you can only get back the amount you owe the Federal Government (I.E. you owe them $5,500 in taxes, so even though the rebate states $7,500, that is only the max dollar amount you will receive) So, you will receive $5,500. In the state of IL, you get 10% of the total MSRP of the vehicle, which is pretty much guaranteed, provide you fill out all of the forms correctly, etc.

Hope we are able to get one. They are sweet rides for sure!
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I really like the idea, but I'd like to see how much the electric bill offsets savings... I think I'd lean diesel, but I can certainly appreciate other aspects of the Volt. That's a lotta' money though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote