Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
14AGMSS

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/L99
Does this exhaust exist ?

One where you want to roll the windows down as soon as you get in the car.

I've had my L99 SS for only a few months now and since then I have researched just about every single aspect of exhausts out there. I have read and listed to hundreds of comments, clips, and videos. Some have had drone, some not. Some are loud, most are not. Many people are disappointed when they install their new exhaust that it is not loud enough and then try to convince themselves that it gets louder later. Lots of comments that the exhaust sounds great when you hear it from behind or from outside, lol. Many exhausts seem to be loud only when you stomp it or going WOT. I don't drive like that all the time so that might not work.

I want to hear the rumble of the exhaust when I'm driving and be able to have conversation or talk on the phone

Little drone..

Not wake the neighbors ( my 04 GTO was good at that.. heh heh)

I'm looking for a catback and maybe highflow cats.

Does this exhaust really exist ?
14AGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I really like my factory NPP exhaust it sounds good around town but isn't to loud
Old 09-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
Corsa
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
It kinda seems like you would want a 3" exhaust, but not necessarily straight pipes. Probably not long tube headers either.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
The Kooks Street Sleeper is a good option. Here is a post we made a while back-

Here are the details on the exhaust I posted in the tech sections-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have had some request for a quieter system than the current Kooks 3" system. In working with Kooks, we found the 3" system is loud, and on occasion can drone because the large 3" pipes create a low pressure area in the center of the exhausts. In simple terms, this allows the sound waves more room to bouce around and vibrate in the exhaust, which creates more sound, and in some cases drone.

Earlier this month, Kooks sent us a 2.5" version of this catback to test. In testing this, we did it in a "worst case" scenario. An automatic car always drones before an M6, so we chose to install it on my wifes L99 SS. To make the task even harder for the exhaust, we added high flow cats to the car. The cats add sound, and can induce drone with other exhausts. To round it out, we left the car otherwise bone stock with AFM still active.

The exhaust itself is all CNC bent, TIG welded, 304 stainless steel. It comes with Kooks straight through oval mufflers, and 4" double wall tips. It will connect to your stock mid pipes, or any aftermarket mid pipes/headers that retain the stock barrel clamps under the seats.

The videos and pictures below tell the rest of the story. Basically, this exhaust is awesome. It has a great deep rumble, but as the video shows, does not drone. Especially listen towards the end where the car is floored. It goes from being a complete beast under full throttle to so quiet at cruising you can hear only wind noise. Keep any eye out in the sponsor forums for an upcoming introductory sale on these!

Think the stock L99 center muffler creates some friction and restriction?
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
YES!

JBA Catless Mids, Solo Performance Mach XL with J Pipes. I still can't believe how overly excited I am to hear this exhaust everytime I drive, my subsciption to XM radio is becoming a waste of money!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
14AGMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
The Kooks Street Sleeper is a good option. Here is a post we made a while back-
It does sound good.

Last edited by 14AGMSS; 09-24-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
14AGMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
YES!

JBA Catless Mids, Solo Performance Mach XL with J Pipes. I still can't believe how overly excited I am to hear this exhaust everytime I drive, my subsciption to XM radio is becoming a waste of money!
Now that is exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I am very pleased with my Solo Mach XL catless & headers. HFC's only tone it down a dB or two. Ran mine both ways on the Kook's headers. No drone and mildly loud inside and out at cruise, rocks out WOT.

I had the MBRP LS3 3" X pipe catback first, replaced the x pipe with their L99 Resonated H section, drone was still horrendous under 2000 rpm. Scrapped it all for the Solo but wish they made a 3" for my FI application.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I bought EmeryZ28's Cherry Bomb axle back, then did the X pipe resonator delete. It drones, but I don't care! If it gets old I will add J pipes, but it is nice to my ears. Very happy with it. The wife, well to her it is just loud. Lol

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote