Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
jfcody3962

Drives: 2016 2SS
who has replaced the factory BA amp?

Who has replaced the factory BA amp?

New owner of an 11 2SS. Love the car! Not so impressed with the factory sound system. Looking to maybe replace the amp and add a sub.

Looking for references from people who have done this.
How did you connect the center channel (dash) speaker to the new amp?
I suspect I am going to need a sound processor to break out the center channel and then send it to a separate channel on the new amp.

How do the factory speakers sound with more power/new amp?

Is it worth the investment?

thanks!
Jason
jfcody3962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I replaced the stock BA amp with a JL xd400, but I used the harness by ********. It "eliminates" the center speaker, but I can tell you that the BA speakers sounded much better.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
jfcody3962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I replaced the stock BA amp with a JL xd400, but I used the harness by ********. It "eliminates" the center speaker, but I can tell you that the BA speakers sounded much better.
Did you add a sub? Happy with the door speakers and the 6x9s in the rear deck huh? cool..thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Danny Thomas

Drives: 67 RS, 81 Turbo TA, 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Danny Thomas
Got the same setup and added a JL amp and sub using a sub thump box..great setup..it does sound good without the center speaker. Would suggest eventually changing rear speakers but definitely far better than stock setup
Danny Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
jfcody3962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Thomas View Post
Got the same setup and added a JL amp and sub using a sub thump box..great setup..it does sound good without the center speaker. Would suggest eventually changing rear speakers but definitely far better than stock setup
great thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcody3962 View Post
Did you add a sub? Happy with the door speakers and the 6x9s in the rear deck huh? cool..thanks
No, haven't added a sub yet but my new amp has the pre-outs for another amp. I meant the BA speakers sounded good, as in past tense. Since then, I replaced them all with Alpine Type-R speakers.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
jfcody3962

did you guys use the FARK connector from Steve, or did you just hack into the wiring. I am looking at the wiring diagram on other posts here, and I don't see any surprises. I did see one reference about needing to connect something properly in order to retain the factory backup sensor tones, and the door open chime. Is this a factor when you completely remove the factory amp?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
did you guys use the FARK connector from Steve, or did you just hack into the wiring. I am looking at the wiring diagram on other posts here, and I don't see any surprises. I did see one reference about needing to connect something properly in order to retain the factory backup sensor tones, and the door open chime. Is this a factor when you completely remove the factory amp?
I used the harnesses from Steve, but my car doesn't have back-up sensors.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
More than likely, you will have some surprises if you don't use our kit--which will be shipping monday btw
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Who has replaced the factory BA amp?

New owner of an 11 2SS. Love the car! Not so impressed with the factory sound system. Looking to maybe replace the amp and add a sub.

Looking for references from people who have done this.
How did you connect the center channel (dash) speaker to the new amp?
I suspect I am going to need a sound processor to break out the center channel and then send it to a separate channel on the new amp.

How do the factory speakers sound with more power/new amp?

Is it worth the investment?

thanks!
Jason
Personally I didn't think adding an amp changed the sound of the Boston speakers that much. Disconnecting the center channel helped, but the Boston speaker still didn't sound any more clear. I didn't run it for more than a few days without the sub though so I don't have detailed impressions. My primary complaint with the stock boston system was clarity (I thought the bass was pretty good for a stock system).

I was worried I would loose bluetooth phone volume or sound quality if I ditched the center speaker but that wasn't the case at all.

Adding a sub definitely gave it more bass and swapping out the front speakers fixed the clarity.

If you really want to run the center channel Phoenix Gold makes a complete replacement amp/sub kit that adds a sub and powers all the speakers (including the center).
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
jfcody3962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
Personally I didn't think adding an amp changed the sound of the Boston speakers that much. Disconnecting the center channel helped, but the Boston speaker still didn't sound any more clear. I didn't run it for more than a few days without the sub though so I don't have detailed impressions. My primary complaint with the stock boston system was clarity (I thought the bass was pretty good for a stock system).

I was worried I would loose bluetooth phone volume or sound quality if I ditched the center speaker but that wasn't the case at all.

Adding a sub definitely gave it more bass and swapping out the front speakers fixed the clarity.

If you really want to run the center channel Phoenix Gold makes a complete replacement amp/sub kit that adds a sub and powers all the speakers (including the center).
Thanks for the reply. Did you use the ******** connector(s), or splice into the wiring yourself?

I already have a 5 channel amp, and a ******** box is on my xmas list- so all I have to do now is decide whether I want to wire this myself, or use the connector. I am not afraid of a soldering iron and shrink tubing!

I do plan to ditch the center speaker.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Did you use the ******** connector(s), or splice into the wiring yourself?

I already have a 5 channel amp, and a ******** box is on my xmas list- so all I have to do now is decide whether I want to wire this myself, or use the connector. I am not afraid of a soldering iron and shrink tubing!

I do plan to ditch the center speaker.
I used the ******** wiring kit. I still ended up soldering all of my new wire into the ******** harness but I liked the idea about being able to go back to stock easily in the future. Plus it is easier to solder while sitting at a bench than bent over the trunk. If a new batch of ******** kits is coming out soon I would just use one.

I should probably add this to my comments about the amp upgrade. I had a Camaro with the original, more powerful, Boston amp so replacing the amp may be a bigger improvement for somebody that has one of the newer, less powerful Boston amps. IMO the clarity would still be the problem even this way.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
mattbatt

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
I used the ******** wiring kit. I still ended up soldering all of my new wire into the ******** harness but I liked the idea about being able to go back to stock easily in the future. Plus it is easier to solder while sitting at a bench than bent over the trunk. If a new batch of ******** kits is coming out soon I would just use one.

I should probably add this to my comments about the amp upgrade. I had a Camaro with the original, more powerful, Boston amp so replacing the amp may be a bigger improvement for somebody that has one of the newer, less powerful Boston amps. IMO the clarity would still be the problem even this way.
Yes I have the newer 2011 camaro with the weaker amp, my issue has been with clarity. I ordered the FARK harness.

Can you help advise me how to hook up the 6x9's with tweeters working? I want my rear radar to work.

Or is the simplist solution to buy new rear speakers?

2011 2SS, RS, stripes, Cold Air Inductions, Stainless Retro Chambered 3", Boston Acoustics with Alpine 2x12"
SWR type R Subs, Alpine MRX-M100 1,000 Watt RMS amp, P13W LED Daytime Fog Lights, debadged
2019 SS 1LE, Shock
mattbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post
Yes I have the newer 2011 camaro with the weaker amp, my issue has been with clarity. I ordered the FARK harness.

Can you help advise me how to hook up the 6x9's with tweeters working? I want my rear radar to work.

Or is the simplist solution to buy new rear speakers?
if you want the rear tweets to work, don't use the included speaker adapters on the rears. the way the harness works is you have either the tweets or lows, the adapters will give you the lows.