Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
My wife dings my cars in the garage. How's that for care?
LOL, my wife rested a plastic grocery tote full of groceries on the roof of my car and when she took it off it dragged for about 2-3 inches. Now I have about 2 dozen little scratches in my clear coat, all going in the same direction....took me a while to get over that one, and it still kinda bothers me, but at some point you *have to* learn to let go a little bit. Unless you leave your car in your garage 24/7/365, it's *going to get damage*. It's unavoidable.

I've decided to turn it into a hobby (repairing minor damage in my car, not causing it, lol). I'm going to invest in one of the Porter Cable car polishing kits from Adam's with the full knowledge and expectation that I am going to have to use it to buff out scratches and minor damage from my car every year or so.

Bottomline is a daily driver will never remain perfect for long. It's hard, but you have to learn to accept it.
NicksVSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #30
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
I'm going to invest in one of the Porter Cable car polishing kits from Adam's with the full knowledge and expectation that I am going to have to use it to buff out scratches and minor damage from my car every year or so.

The Flex XC3401VRG Polisher kit (also from Adam's) looks like it might be a better choice over the Porter Cable.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-12-detail-kits.aspx

Any experience with any of these by chance? Are they worth the $$$?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
To the op...I am the same way about my car...My Escalade...the company truck...the lawn mower...the forklift on the loading dock...I did give up on my wife's car though. She has already accumulated 2 dents in the right front fender of our Equinox. Makes me sick.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #32
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
The Flex XC3401VRG Polisher kit (also from Adam's) looks like it might be a better choice over the Porter Cable.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-12-detail-kits.aspx

Any experience with any of these by chance? Are they worth the $$$?
I have no idea, sorry. I've never done anything to my car other than wash and wax it. But Junkman's videos on Youtube made it seem so easy I decided I should invest in something to enable me to keep my car looking as nice as I can without busting my balls over it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #33
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
I have no idea, sorry. I've never done anything to my car other than wash and wax it. But Junkman's videos on Youtube made it seem so easy I decided I should invest in something to enable me to keep my car looking as nice as I can without busting my balls over it.
Well this thread (and others) is going to cost me a bundle. $600 for that 3M clear bra stuff, $400 for a polisher, who knows what else? I've already convinced myself not to get any mods on this car but keeping it looking good is just as expensive!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #34
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Holy Crap !!! You people need to lighten up a little and smell the roses ... You would enjoy yourselves much more if you weren't so stressed out over a car. Personally there is no way I would ever enjoy owning this if I had to look over my shoulder every time I took the thing out. Enjoy life, it shouldn't be so hard and stressful ... IMO ...
Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #35
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Not alone! My b/f and I park beside each other at our apt complex with mine beside the curb, then he parks his cruiser beside his car so both of us are blocked in from other cars (see the sig pic)! Except a few weeks ago his 10 y/o son threw open the door on my camaro and dinged his charger I park way back in parking lots but I dont check on it. If it happens, it happens and I'll fix it when I need to.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #36
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
I sort of agree withn SlingShot. If you can't drive a Camaro to a restaurant or to work, what use is it? While I do like to be able to see mine while I'm in the restaurant I certainly don't worry about it (much!) if I can't.
After that first ding, who cares? You're probably the only one who sees it.
What would you do if you had a Ferrari or something much more expensive? Lock it up in the garage?
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #37
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I feel your pain, fortunately mine is not a daily driver so less chance of dents but I still worry when I do leave it parked.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #38
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
You need 2 cars.. so the Camaro can stay inside where it is protected.

Or, 2 Camaros...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #39
coolman

I used to be that way about 20 cars ago ,but I guess getting older taught me not to sweat the small things. After going through many hardships in the last few years I could only wish that door dings and stones chips was all I had to worry about. I'm not saying that I don't do everything in my power to keep things from happening ,but I don't worry about things that are out of my control.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #40
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I used to be that way about 20 cars ago ,but I guess getting older taught me not to sweat the small things. After going through many hardships in the last few years I could only wish that door dings and stones chips was all I had to worry about. I'm not saying that I don't do everything in my power to keep things from happening ,but I don't worry about things that are out of my control.
Good attitude to have.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #41
Riddikulus5Gen

Drives: 2010 ABM RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by white light View Post
Ok so I've been a camaro fan since I was a little kid and my dad had a 1982 z/28 that we took to the track. I had a 95 camaro I call White Lightning that I sold once I found out about the concept. I since have picked up a sweet 2010 Camaro as a present to my self for making it through a police academy and through coaching in the 13th biggest city in the country. But here is my problem. I worry about this car more than I do about myself at work! Someone gave me a door ding at work that I recently paid $80 to have removed and every time I park some where I find my self making regular checks on my car to make sure no one has parked beside me and if they did if they parked enough away. People are telling me "it's just a car dude, let it go" but yesterday It was my day off and I was driving on 270 (a freeway) and as I was merging something off of a freaking semi truck came off and hit my car! I was praying that there was no dent but sure enough there is a little dent right infront of the passenger tire but right after the 3 fins, it rouined the rest of my day. This car is sweet but really stresses me out. Am I the only one like this? Or do I have a problem

I am the exact same, and I say, You deserve to have the car!
Stress or not, I think it's a healthy stress. ha. I LOVE my car, it's what I've always wanted, and I don't really care what others who don't understand
what it's like to really have some special relationship with "just a car".

It's not just a car by any means, and it means something different to everyone, but I think you are a car parent, and it's only expected to worry about the baby.

Plus, hello, I have never been big on income, so making this car happen for me was far from easy, the monetary investment was heavy, and the emotional was even bigger. so yeah, go ahead and love the thing!

sorry, I rambled, but you get what I meant I think?

Built: October 2010 / ABM Chevy Camaro RS 2LT
Grey/Ebony Leather Interior / 6-Speed Manual Trans.
Gauge Cluster / Silver Rally Stripes (May remove?)
20" Polished Aluminum Rims.
K&N Cold-Air Intake / Corsa Exhaust.
Riddikulus5Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #42
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I just got through waxing my car today and as I was taking it back off, I noticed three places where small rocks had chipped the paint. Two on the front facia and one on the rear fender, driver's side behind the back tire. It made my heart sink, that's for sure. I've had the car for eight months now, I had to figure it would happen sooner or later. I just got out the little bottle of touch up paint and very carefully filled those three tiny marks.

Our cars sit close to the ground. Stuff like that is bound to happen when it is a daily driver. I can live with those things, and they aren't noticeable now unless you look very closely. I do fear the big dents and door dings at work. Don't check on the car at work anymore, just park way out, have a co-worker who drives a Jaguar who regularly parks next to me, and just hope she survives until my shift is over each day.

You just take precautions, and hope for the best. It's all you can do.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote