Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
jfcody3962

Drives: 2016 2SS
Anyone painted inside edge of factory wheel??

I would like to paint the inside edge of my rims (behind outside polished edge) flat black so I don't have to keep cleaning the brake dust off. I am tired of trying to get my hand all up in there to clean them.

Anyone tried this?

I am wondering what the prep work would be, and what kind of paint to use so that is does not flake off the aluminum.

In general I am not happy with these factory polished wheels...I think they look pretty crappy about 5 mins/2 miles after your wash them real good.

Just don't want to fork out the cash for new wheels.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
pears2

Drives: 2011 Black/Silver Synergy Series
I have not painted the inside of my rims but this is what I would suggest:

1. Remove the wheels from the car and mask off the portion of the rims you wish not to paint.

2. Use 320-grit sandpaper to smooth out any knicks, scratches or dings on the inside of the rims. They may not completely disappear, but they will be much less noticeable after this step.

3. Wash the rims with soap and water to remove any debris left behind from sanding. Use a good degreaser to remove any oil and grease on the rims, then wash with soap and water again. Allow them to dry completely.

4. Spray etching primer on the rim, covering the entire inside of the rim. This is what the paint will adhere to, so any missed areas will cause the paint to be very thin in that spot.

5. Paint the rims with by spraying it evenly and smoothly. Spraying too much paint causes it to run, so spray lightly (at least 3 coats) adding additional coats if necessary.

6. Allow the paint to dry completely. Spray a (Non-Gloss) clear coat on top of the paint using the same methods. Allow the clear coat to dry completely before mounting the rims on the car.

I'm not a professional painter, so I would contact a body shop or research the internet before painting the rims. Good Luck, Take some pictures after you finish. I would like to see what the rims look like after installed.
pears2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Done with photoshop...
Name:  kiik.jpg
Views: 2301
Size:  106.7 KB
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Midnight silver wheels are already brake dust colored, lol, plus the inside of the wheels are already dark
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
jfcody3962

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pears2 View Post
I have not painted the inside of my rims but this is what I would suggest:

1. Remove the wheels from the car and mask off the portion of the rims you wish not to paint.

2. Use 320-grit sandpaper to smooth out any knicks, scratches or dings on the inside of the rims. They may not completely disappear, but they will be much less noticeable after this step.

3. Wash the rims with soap and water to remove any debris left behind from sanding. Use a good degreaser to remove any oil and grease on the rims, then wash with soap and water again. Allow them to dry completely.

4. Spray etching primer on the rim, covering the entire inside of the rim. This is what the paint will adhere to, so any missed areas will cause the paint to be very thin in that spot.

5. Paint the rims with by spraying it evenly and smoothly. Spraying too much paint causes it to run, so spray lightly (at least 3 coats) adding additional coats if necessary.

6. Allow the paint to dry completely. Spray a (Non-Gloss) clear coat on top of the paint using the same methods. Allow the clear coat to dry completely before mounting the rims on the car.

I'm not a professional painter, so I would contact a body shop or research the internet before painting the rims. Good Luck, Take some pictures after you finish. I would like to see what the rims look like after installed.

thanks for the reply!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i personally wouldn't try this. having an edge to your paint will just leave it exposed to chipping.

i really don't see the big deal in just cleaning the rims i think it's time you invest in some P21S rim cleaner or something if it's really too much of a hassle for you to clean.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I just clean them, still look like new.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I agree with kiteman. The rims might look outstanding at first, but those exposed edges could eventually chip if you don't treat the whole rim with some sort of clear. But then you lose the look of the aluminum.

A good boars hair brush and multi purpose cleaner will work wonders for you. All Purpose Cleaner from Adams is my personal fav, but any all purpose cleaner should work for you in conjuctions with the boars hair brush. Autogeek.net has several to choose from as does Adams. You'll need to spend 20 - 30 (est. don't hold me to it) for a decent one.

I've seen where some of the folks here on the forum also treat their rims like their paint so after washing, you could go the clay, polish, seal route to make the dust clean off easier, just make sure you're cleaning the whole rim for maximum results. (The inner rim is the secret IMO... )

If hiding the break dust is the goal, you may want to review some of the threads on the forum that deail with alternat pads instead of the stock pads which are the real culprit here. I ran out of season to explore it on mine, but I will say in the time I focused on my rims, each time I cleaned them the subsquent cleanings were easier, particularly when I focused on the inner rim and wheel wells. If I go as far as new pads and waxing / sealing, I'll be happy to share, but not till spring.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
I upgraded from 18's to 20's and bought the replica ones that are gloss black/ machined here are some pics.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Have you tried Adam's Turbo Stick Wheel cleaning tool?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
I had my wheels powdercoated flat black and they still get dirty from the brake dust. Yes you can tell even on black. 1st things first. Change to hawk pads for less dust, try that. If your still not happy check into having them powdercoated NOT painted. Powdercoat will hold up alot better.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Bumblebee1110

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 Harley Davidson
midnighter, can you photoshop another image for me, but where you put the black make that the orangeish color, and the silver black? i want to see how that looks,my uncle can powdercoat my rims for me and that is what i was thinking about doing
Thanks!
Bumblebee1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I actually looking for two different kinds of rims that may just be the stock ones painted. Not sure.

The first one is the standard SS rims, but the edge near the tire is either chrome or polished aluminum and the spokes of the rim are black. Has anyone been able to purchase them anywhere?

And I was told the second set is an official GM rim. It looks like the standard SS rim (maybe a little thinner spoke), it's shiny like a polished black aluminum, and in each side of the spoke there is another thin spoke. So it would go thin FAT thin. Any ideas?

The reason I ask is I already have some deep scratches on my rims from curbing them (damn hummer ran me off the road!) and I can't decide if it is cheaper to buy new rims like the ones I want, or to repair them and paint them myself.

Thanks guys.
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
sleep4fun

Drives: Nightfall Gray 1SS M6
Painted Green

I painted the inside of mine as well. It makes cleaning much easier.
Attached Images

sleep4fun is offline   Reply With Quote