Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I can finally contribute something useful

I'm scheduled to get my convertible top replaced through my dealership but at a local upholstery shop they use for all their top work. I told my dealership all about what i've read here. Especially about how there seems to be knowledge of an upgraded top in around the 2013 model year. My dealership service manager is a friend and could find no info about this change. He ordered a new top and contacted the upholstery place to discuss. They told him that there is in fact a change to the tops which has other cables and things to prevent the rubbing we get on both sides. They have all the information about what to do apparantly to resolve the issue. But there doesn't seem to be any mention of a new mechanism offered which is still contrary to what I read here. I guess we'll see how it goes. He says there's only one part number for the top to order and the mechanism comes in various different pieces and part numbers. He said if we see any rubbing, he'll order those specific pieces separate.

As for the waterbag, they say there is not an update to the bag but it is supposed to be re attached in a slightly different location.

Sounds like they really know what to do to get this solved! Now the proof is in the pudding! I just find it funny that the dealership doesn't even have the info but the upholstery shop knows all about it.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
the waterbag was redesigned in 2012....it is configured slightly differently and has better drainage.

The 5th bow has been beefed up as well.

Also, I can't remember but I think some of the links might have changed?

From what I was told when mine was done in 2013, that there is not one specific part number to replace the mechanism, but each piece has its own part number.

Also at that time there was a retrofit kit which included the new canvas and some other goodies, I just don't recall everything that was in there.

The material for the top is also different than in 2011 MY

It sounds like the upholstery shop is on the right track...just double check that they have replaced these before...it is complicated since the mechanism does not come as a bolt on kit already assembled.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Jasper

Actually.... They said it was a retrofit kit as you mentioned. They have done them before so I have high hopes. But since they aren't actually replacing anything mechanism and watervag will we I guess I could still have the 5 the bow issue. Right now my buddy gas a vert in the dealership with bent biw but he's convinced the cause is from it hitting something left in the trunk. I tried to tell him its a known issue though.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Is GM covering the cost or is it all on you?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Angie11

Drives: 2011 ss rs convertable
I will guess its on him
Angie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Jasper

Warranty runs out in May. So they're covering everything.