Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Talking BMR Lowering Springs - How It's Made

BMR is a few weeks away from launching our Lowering Springs. All BMR springs including our 2010 Camaro springs have a LIFETIME WARRANTY against spring sag.

Spring manufacturing requires expensive capital equipment, so BMR outsources this activity to a company that specializes in spring manufacturing. Spring manufacturing is a fascinating process, so I would like to share some facts about our springs:

1) BMR springs are manufactured from chrome silicon high-tensile spring wire. This is the best spring wire available for automotive applications. Most NASCAR teams use this type of spring wire for their designs.

2) Every BMR spring is computer tested as the last step of the manufacturing process. Every spring...not just a sample from each batch. EVERY SPRING!! Each spring is loaded in the spring tester at the factory. The spring is compressed and the CNC Load Cell measures the force for a variety of spring lengths. The computer takes this data and compares it to the BMR quality specs. Bad springs (if any) are kicked out and the good ones are sent to BMR. Per our requirements, the test data for each and every spring is electronically sent to BMR.

3) BMR springs are cold wound on a CNC Coiling Machine. The CNC coiling head can adjust the spring diameter in real time to ensure that every spring is the same as the other springs. This guarantees that your right spring matches your left spring!!

4) Every BMR spring is compressed solid at the factory. Not once, but twice. This gives the spring its permanent set...and guarantees NO SAG. This allows BMR to offer a lifetime warranty against spring sag.

5) BMR springs are stress-relieved at 750 degrees F. This ensures that most stresses induced during the winding process are eliminated. This process is necessary to achieve the repeatable high-quality product that BMR offers!!

6) All springs are shot-peened to eliminate residual surface stresses. Many spring manufacturers skip this step. BMR insists on this operation as part of our spring manufacturing process.

A few more notes:

1) BMR springs are Proudly Made in the USA!!! Costs are minimized and quality is maintained using CNC manufacturing equipment. Shipping costs are low. No boats. No planes. No custom fees passed on to the customer. Just good old American manufacturing ingenuity!!

2) BMR springs are manufactured by a spring company that has been making springs for over 140 years. Think about it...when GM was founded in 1908, this spring company had already been making springs for 40 years.

3) BMR springs are manufactured by a family-owned spring company. The same family has owned this company for 140+ years (6 generations). No corporate bail-outs. No passing the buck. When your name has been on the door for 140 years, you make sure that you own the best spring manufacturing equipment available.

Last edited by BMR Suspension; 04-15-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
What size drop do these springs give?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
BMR Suspension

The BMR springs will have a 1.25" drop on all 4 corners. The front spring rate will be 220 pounds per inch and the rear spring rate will be 460 pounds per inch.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Kwik

Drives: car
Hey Allan: Love your products. I am planning to change springs and go to heavier sway bars. Should this all be done at once or can I do one and then the other? Any problems with ground clearance? We have a steep driveway. When do you expect to have these available? I ordered your strut brace yesterday. Thanks, Bob
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
BMR Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
Hey Allan: Love your products. I am planning to change springs and go to heavier sway bars. Should this all be done at once or can I do one and then the other? Any problems with ground clearance? We have a steep driveway. When do you expect to have these available? I ordered your strut brace yesterday. Thanks, Bob
Thanks for the order!!

You can replace the springs and sway bars separately. Each one will improve handling, but the biggest bang for the buck is when you change both. The total installation time will be slightly longer if you do both separately, but not enough of a difference to worry about it.

The ground clearance depends on your driveway. However, the 1.25" drop will give you plenty of clearance (even on rough roads full of potholes).

The springs should be available in 3 weeks or so. However, I am pushing hard to get them sooner.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Any rough estimate on price on springs and sways seperately?

I think I'm going springs first for a while then I'll do sways lateer down the road.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Berean

Drives: Truck
Are they direct install or do you recommend modifications like cutting the bump stop?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Kwik

Drives: car
You can get pricing on sway bars at Summit Racing. P/N SBP-007 $359.95 for the pair. They aren't available yet. I think they show lead times a couple of weeks out. I believe Morano Racing had the springs on their site, but I don't recall the price. They are also a couple of weeks away. The parts that I have gotten from BMR are great.
Shop around for best price. Regards, Bob
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Mod007

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
I've been looking for some spring with a 1.25 drop, I just hope they don't cost an arm and a leg like the other 1.25 drop springs!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod007 View Post
I've been looking for some spring with a 1.25 drop, I just hope they don't cost an arm and a leg like the other 1.25 drop springs!
What's your definition of "an arm and a leg"?

I think you can find Pfadt for about $300. Pedders are in the $360 range. I've seen Eibach for right at $200. I got a set of Hotchkis for under $300 to my door.

$300 for a set of drop springs is the norm. That goes for most cars and not just the Camaro.

So...as long as you are willing to spend about $300 then you'll be fine. Eibach is going to be the cheapest though.

Not sure how much BMR's are going to be but if you don't have to have them right now then just wait a little bit because I'm sure they will competitively priced.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Do you know of any manuf that has lower(2" or greater)adustable drop(other than coilovers), like air bags for the 2010?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
BMR Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
You can get pricing on sway bars at Summit Racing. P/N SBP-007 $359.95 for the pair. They aren't available yet. I think they show lead times a couple of weeks out. I believe Morano Racing had the springs on their site, but I don't recall the price. They are also a couple of weeks away. The parts that I have gotten from BMR are great.
Shop around for best price. Regards, Bob
There is no need to shop around. BMR requires our distributors to advertise and sell our products at the list price. Ther list price for the BMR springs is $229.95.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
BMR Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
What's your definition of "an arm and a leg"?

I think you can find Pfadt for about $300. Pedders are in the $360 range. I've seen Eibach for right at $200. I got a set of Hotchkis for under $300 to my door.

$300 for a set of drop springs is the norm. That goes for most cars and not just the Camaro.

So...as long as you are willing to spend about $300 then you'll be fine. Eibach is going to be the cheapest though.

Not sure how much BMR's are going to be but if you don't have to have them right now then just wait a little bit because I'm sure they will competitively priced.
$360 for a set of springs??? By definition, that is an arm and a leg!!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
BMR Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Any rough estimate on price on springs and sways seperately?

I think I'm going springs first for a while then I'll do sways lateer down the road.
Sway bars are $359.95 and springs are $229.95. However, if you buy them as a package, you get a $50 discount.

The BMR Level 1 Handling Package will include a set of 4 springs and a front and rear sway bar. The price for the package will be $539.00.

Closed Thread