Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #43
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
thats going to be an awesome car are you going to put on one of these symbols are something simular? i just figured out that the blue angels are navy not air force but i still think one of these symbols would look good on your car !!
Attached Images

Last edited by klatterblast; 11-01-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: edit
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #44
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
thats going to be an awesome car are you going to put on one of these symbols are something simular? i just figured out that the blue angels are navy not air force but i still think one of these symbols would look good on your car !!
If I was actually a member of the Blue Angels team, or in the Navy I'd consider something like that but since I'm not somehow I just don't feel it would be right to make the car appear as though it's a military car, or a team car. I'm old school; I feel there are certain emblems, badges of honor, etc. that should only be worn by those who earned them. I want my car to be a respectful tribute but not a wannabe if you understand what I'm saying.

I could make it look like one of the planes; down to the emblems and "pilot's" name under the window on the door but somehow that just seems too much. If this were a show car, sure under those circumstances it would work. But as a regular street car? It would be like I was pretending to be a representative or spokesman in some way and that's just not something I want to do.

I appreciate the suggestion though!! And there's no question a fully-done Blue Angels team car would be fantastic looking.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 11-01-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #45
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me
Hey Doc, Thanks for the info, i have been on the fence about using Mobile1 or Royal Purple
comm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #46
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Love how you put Blue Angel in that color on the Camaro and the wheels look awesome. Good colors

Good thinking Doc, actually it offends a lot of servicemen/women when people who haven't earned something in the military put it on something or are not part of that "team."
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #47
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If I was actually a member of the Blue Angels team, or in the Navy I'd consider something like that but since I'm not somehow I just don't feel it would be right to make the car appear as though it's a military car, or a team car. I'm old school; I feel there are certain emblems, badges of honor, etc. that should only be worn by those who earned them. I want my car to be a respectful tribute but not a wannabe if you understand what I'm saying.

I could make it look like one of the planes; down to the emblems and "pilot's" name under the window on the door but somehow that just seems too much. If this were a show car, sure under those circumstances it would work. But as a regular street car? It would be like I was pretending to be a representative or spokesman in some way and that's just not something I want to do.

I appreciate the suggestion though!! And there's no question a fully-done Blue Angels team car would be fantastic looking.
your right i was not thinking about that i fully understand but its still gonna be awesome good job.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #48
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Haven't updated this in awhile. Been waiting for stuff to be made and shipped. I did get the Cold Air Inductions CAI and got that installed; looks great, works as advertised. I'll get some pics of that here pretty soon.

My latest upgrade which I've been waiting on for months because we pulled together a group buy to convince them to make them, are 2-piece brake rotors from Racing Brake. They only have the fronts in production at the moment but are tooling up for the rear rotors too because we got enough people on a group buy for them to do it. These rotors look fantastic and weigh 6 lbs less than the stock rotors.

Here are some pics:

The first shows how they are packaged; compared to the stock rotors these are a work of art. These rotors are downright beautiful. Next shows the stock rotor on the hub, then the Racing Brake rotor. Then some comparison shots of the stock rotor behind my front wheel and the RB rotor.

When I picked up my rotors from RB, Mike went with me to a local place called GT Pro who does work for them and they installed my rotors and stainless braided brake lines. They did a fantastic job and lots of pictures were taken for PR purposes. These were some I took with my iPhone but hopefully I'll be able to get some of the ones the photographer was taking.

The RB rotors are 6 lbs lighter each compared to the stock rotors. 6 lbs doesn't sound like a lot until you're picking up the pair in a box. I put the stock rotors in the RB box after the job was done and I could definitely feel how much heavier the stock rotors were with the extra 12 lbs compared to how it felt with the RB rotors in it.

The braking performance is much nicer now; very linear and predictable. The stock brakes had a grabby effect where it would start out easy and then grab hard all of a sudden. These don't do that. The grab is in direct and smooth proportion to how hard you're pressing on the pedal; it feels much more precise now.

I used RB's ET500 brake pads and they have a good feel when braking; solid, not spongy at all. I had them put Super Blue racing brake fluid in it and I couldn't be happier with the whole setup; can't wait to get the rear rotors now! The car feels just a bit lighter on it's feet when accelerating; it could be my imagination but it seems to accelerate slightly quicker now.

Here's a link on Racing Brake's forum for the group buy we had going:

http://www.racingbrake.com/CAMARO_SS...138-381-01.htm

I can't say enough good about Mike and the people at Racing Brake for working with us to put this deal together. We got the first batch of these they've ever made! And they're tooling up for the rear rotors because of our support so I hope others on the forum take advantage of these great rotors and at least get the fronts; you won't regret it. This is a very worthwhile upgrade; especially for those who've increased their horsepower... the more power you have the better braking you need to slow down!

Next is the Pedder's Extreme Street package which I've had on order for months as well; waiting for the parts to get made and shipped from Australia. Then after that, a 1-piece carbon fiber driveshaft which I've got a line on and hopefully will have some info soon. I've already asked and they're agreeable to a group buy so I'll be putting something together along the lines of the RB rotor deal as soon as I have the info to do it.
Attached Images

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #49
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Damn, I can't believe this is the first time I saw this thread!!! You've got a heck of a Camaro there, Doc!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #50
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Looking good doc hope to see you soon.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #51
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

New Addition:

I got the Pedder's Extreme Street suspension system on the car yesterday and had it installed by Mike Haddad at Haddad Motorsports in Los Angeles. He and his crew did a great job including a full chassis alignment and lowering the car.

My first impressions are "wow". What a difference. All the sponginess and squirm of the suspension feels gone. When accelerating you can feel the difference in the back of the car; it seems to accelerate quicker now. Handling and steering are precise, crisp and a joy. The car rides very well and you especially notice it over rough or uneven pavement where before it would squirm and "walk" around with bushing and suspension flex. Now it's solid; the suspension tracks the changes in the surface smoothly, precisely and there's no drama in the handling...at all.

The first two pics I apologize for; I took them with my iPhone under bad lighting but they show the Pedder's coilovers in the front and rear.

The next set of pics show the car right after I washed it today as it sits now, properly lowered.
Attached Images

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 01-30-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Another update:

After all these mods I've had done I decided to take the car today to a truck scale and get it weighed. I gassed up with a full tank and it now weighs 3,789.8 lbs. I never weighed it when it was stock (which I should have) but assuming the factory advertised weight of 3,860 lbs stock, I've eliminated 70.2 lbs of weight and almost all of that is reduced unsprung weight.

The car feels quite different now. When accelerating it slams you back in the seat and leaps forward which is different than before when I first got it where the acceleration felt like I was pushing against a headwind. I'm loving this car more and more and more.

I still have the rear rotors on order and I've almost got a deal going for a group buy for a 1-piece carbon fiber driveshaft which should eliminate more unsprung rotational weight as well as improve the efficiency of delivering power to the differential.

Just a few more mods, then paint details and I'll be done. I love this car!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 01-30-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #53
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Nice look! It is great to see a Camaro not slammed! Your ride looks sweet. I have spent a lot of time with mike and his crew and they are first class.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #54
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Starting to do some small changes to the body. I have a spoiler on order from MPD but in the meantime I put vinyl inserts on the bowties, put SS logos on the sides, and last night I painted the tail light bezels charcoal gray metallic. I thought the color was going to be darker so I may go darker still but I like the look. I'm going for the afterburner look of the Blue Angel's planes:

Name:  blue-angels.jpg
Views: 4931
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0121.JPG
Views: 4698
Size:  420.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0122.jpg
Views: 4612
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0124.JPG
Views: 4647
Size:  353.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0126.JPG
Views: 4743
Size:  543.9 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #55
Abygale

Drives: .
Very very nice Doc. I like that a lot! I agree, a little darker might be even better, maybe a matte black??? But your car looks very sharp and is coming together very nicely. I need a concept like you have for mine.

I was lucky tonight because I got to meet up with a local C5 member that has an IBM Camaro and after seeing one close to my IOM I think IBM rally stripes on IOM will look really sharp, especially with some sort of accent or outline color like rally yellow. I may have to see what that would look like or maybe even a black outline....lots to consider.

I love your car though, you've really made it your own.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #56
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Very very nice Doc. I like that a lot! I agree, a little darker might be even better, maybe a matte black??? But your car looks very sharp and is coming together very nicely. I need a concept like you have for mine.

I was lucky tonight because I got to meet up with a local C5 member that has an IBM Camaro and after seeing one close to my IOM I think IBM rally stripes on IOM will look really sharp, especially with some sort of accent or outline color like rally yellow. I may have to see what that would look like or maybe even a black outline....lots to consider.

I love your car though, you've really made it your own.
Thank you Aby, coming from a person with great fashion taste this is praise indeed!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Tags
camaro of the week