Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
THUMOS

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 2SS
Barton mod for OEM adapter on 2013 SS

Just wanted to share since I've had a bit of hell installing my new Barton short throw. I've been saved several times in this process by threads on this forum, so I figured I would contribute.

The Barton instructions do not take into account the changes in the 2013 shift shaft, which has a twist-lock to the chrome ring connecting the boot and a set screw securing the knob. (I pulled for nearly an hour before giving up and searching the forums).

So, if you have a 2013, twist the little chrome ring counterclockwise and then pull it down.

Next, unless you have a 2012 OEM knob laying around, you can either use a die to cut threads for a threaded knob (I tried with 1/2-20 and couldn't get it started. There is a good thread on here where Whitey 22LR had success cutting threads with a 9/16" die).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154016

Or, you can tap a threaded hole for the stock set screw.

I didn't have a 9/16" die and didn't want to wait to order one. Plus I want to look as stock as possible warranty-wise, so I ended up tapping a hole for the set screw from my stock shift shaft. It worked like a charm (M6-.80) with my little Harborfreight toy tap and die set.

It is secured perfectly with no slop at all. Just wanted to share. Hopefully it will make someone's upgrade a little smoother.

Done!
THUMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
cool. I have a 12 and dont like the stock knob or any of the aftermarket ones. i think ill do a 13 knob and boot now. the 13 knob is weighted right?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
THUMOS

Yes. I can't tell you exactly how much, but I remember being surprised because I had just ordered a 340 gram Razo weighted knob from Amazon that morning (before I made the decision to tap). I bet the stock knob weighs at least that.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
JCunningham

and a new leather knob, boot with trim ring is only $71 shipped from gmpartsdirect
did you have to drill all the way though?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
Thank you for this post! i was seriously about to get me a new 1LE shifter and boot to put it on my barton...
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
THUMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
and a new leather knob, boot with trim ring is only $71 shipped from gmpartsdirect
did you have to drill all the way though?
I don't know that I HAD to drill all the way through, but that's how the stock shift shaft was, so that's how I did the Barton OEM adapter shaft.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
THUMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoblindsheep View Post
Thank you for this post! i was seriously about to get me a new 1LE shifter and boot to put it on my barton...
It feels great...shifting through gears in my shop....while I wait for the replacement rubber boot I melted and lost on my first trial drive.

N.B. Make SURE that thing is reseated exactly right!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
JCunningham

I sent for part number confirmation and now they want $109 :(
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
THUMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I sent for part number confirmation and now they want $109 :(

Stalk the classifieds for a part-out...or somebody changing out for an aftermarket knob. Might even watch the auction site for a boot.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
THUMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMOS View Post
Yes. I can't tell you exactly how much, but I remember being surprised because I had just ordered a 340 gram Razo weighted knob from Amazon that morning (before I made the decision to tap). I bet the stock knob weighs at least that.
Correction....just received the Razo 340 gram. It is significantly heavier than stock. Stock had a little heft to it...surprisingly so, but this 340g knob is probably twice as heavy.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Sorry you missed it...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286692
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
THUMOS

Sure enough! That may have been the thread that saved me when I came in exhausted and defeated on my first try at pulling the knob off!

Quote:
Quote:
Correction....just received the Razo 340 gram. It is significantly heavier than stock. Stock had a little heft to it...surprisingly so, but this 340g knob is probably twice as heavy.
Just weighed each: Factory 2013 knob 241 grams vs Razo aftermarket 342 grams. Not as much difference as I had thought. Razo is more compact, so it is denser and feels it. I ran through the gears one after the other (Razo is not attached, just slid on for testing). The heavier, smaller knob definitely felt more authoritative engaging each gear. Whether it is worth the hassle of finding a way to attach it (especially since the stock knob and boot worked out so slick), I don't know yet.