Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Trah

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
Advice for my first detail

going to order some stuff and do my first detail. so far my car has had two laser touchless carwashes and one waterless wash from a local detailer using chemical guys products.

This is what i have planned so far:

1. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine using the method of soaking MF towels in a bucket.
2. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay using Optimum No Rinse as a Clay lube.
3. BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant

One question I have is should i hand polish the car between steps 2 and 3? I live in a condo complex so power is out of the question as far as machine polishing. I've only seen a few faint scratch marks here and there, but wasn't sure if it is necessary to polish before using a Sealant.

Also, would you use the sealant on things like the grille, emblems, diffuser, and taillight trim? How about the windows/windshield?
Trah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Trah

also another question. is the no rinse wash/clay enough to remove whatever wax might be on the car? I think when i had it detailed a few weeks ago, he used some WW with a wax in it. Should i also wash it one more time after the clay?

wash
clay
wash?
polish?
seal
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trah View Post
going to order some stuff and do my first detail. so far my car has had two laser touchless carwashes and one waterless wash from a local detailer using chemical guys products.

This is what i have planned so far:

1. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine using the method of soaking MF towels in a bucket.
2. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay using Optimum No Rinse as a Clay lube.
3. BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant

One question I have is should i hand polish the car between steps 2 and 3? I live in a condo complex so power is out of the question as far as machine polishing. I've only seen a few faint scratch marks here and there, but wasn't sure if it is necessary to polish before using a Sealant.

Also, would you use the sealant on things like the grille, emblems, diffuser, and taillight trim? How about the windows/windshield?
It's highly unlikely that hand polish will remove any imperfections in the paint. I'd skip it if you can't use power.

And as for the trim and stuff, it depends on the particular sealant you're using. I haven't used that one specifically, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty, but I'm guessing it would be fine on emblems and taillight trim, but you probably don't want to get it on the black plastic diffuser and grille.

Quote:
also another question. is the no rinse wash/clay enough to remove whatever wax might be on the car? I think when i had it detailed a few weeks ago, he used some WW with a wax in it. Should i also wash it one more time after the clay?

wash
clay
wash?
polish?
seal
The no rinse will not remove any wax. I'd recommend a strip wash first. Clay will remove the wax, but that's not necessarily the best/most advisable way.

As far as the post-clay wash, I would at least do a rinseless wash since you're not polishing.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Trah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It's highly unlikely that hand polish will remove any imperfections in the paint. I'd skip it if you can't use power.

And as for the trim and stuff, it depends on the particular sealant you're using. I haven't used that one specifically, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty, but I'm guessing it would be fine on emblems and taillight trim, but you probably don't want to get it on the black plastic diffuser and grille.

The no rinse will not remove any wax. I'd recommend a strip wash first. Clay will remove the wax, but that's not necessarily the best/most advisable way.

As far as the post-clay wash, I would at least do a rinseless wash since you're not polishing.
Thanks, i knew the polishing probably wouldn't remove any of the fine scratches, but i wasn't sure if i needed to do it to give it a little shine before the sealant.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Thanks, i knew the polishing probably wouldn't remove any of the fine scratches, but i wasn't sure if i needed to do it to give it a little shine before the sealant.
My humble opinion is that hand polishing is primarily wasted time and effort. There was one product that Phil from DD did a review on that looked really promising by hand, but I can't think of it right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Trah

awesome, that will save me a bunch of time, money, and frustration. think i'm ready to put in my order, AG is having a nice sale for their last "12 days of christmas" special.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Trah

do you have any suggestions for an interior cleaner/protectant for my leather/vinyl/plastic stuff from AG? i'm going to put in an order tonight and thought i should pick some up.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Not from ag. I use Werkstat satin prot exclusively, but they only have one American importer.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Trah

ok thanks. i think i'm going to give poorboy's natural look dressing a shot.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
ok thanks. i think i'm going to give poorboy's natural look dressing a shot.
Do they sell einszett? That's a great one too.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Trah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Do they sell einszett? That's a great one too.

They do, and looking at the 1Z Einszett ****pit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner and Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger neither of them offer any UV protection.