Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Track day at Driveway Austin (May 16th)...Interest?

Last year I put together a track day/class at Driveway Austin and we had a good sized group show up. I'm looking to see if there is any interest in doing that again this year.

At this point I'm only looking for how many people would be interested in doing something like this in the spring.

It looks like they may have changed the way they run things a little. So take a look and let me know if you're interested.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/

I'll spin it up from there if enough people are interested.

Karl

Added material from post further in so you don't need to dig for it.

Date: May 16th 2015 Gates will open at 8:30 AM and the event will run to 4:00'ish.

Once people start registering for the event we will set up a backup day in case it rains on the 16th.

We came up with a couple different ideas based on the number of people which actually put up their money to drive.

(**** You are NOT a driver until you have registered and paid in full *****)

While there will be driver instruction, this is going to be different than what we did last time. Last time we did a short class then did about 20 min of track time to practice what we just learned and repeated that process throughout the day. This time we're looking at doing something along those lines in the morning and then going to a lead/follow deal which may be modified based on how things are going. There will also be some right seat coaching from a professional driver that rides with you. Some of these details are still being worked on but I have no doubt this is going to be great!

Neither style of event will be a "show up and drive it like you stole it" day. This is a structured event. I'm not saying this to deter anyone from coming but I don't want anyone mislead into thinking this is going to be a full day of open track time.

Plan one:

MINIMUM 15 drivers - MAXIMUM 25 drivers

With a minimum of 15 drivers we will use the FULL CIRCUIT for all drivers!

There will be a mix of lead/follow as well as some laps done with a professional driver in the right seat coaching you. They are professionals, not just someone that's done a couple track days and thinks they can teach professionally. Generally speaking, sessions will be in 20 min blocks. This track is over 2 miles long and has it's own corkscrew like the one at Laguna Seca! You have to see this course to appreciate it. Awesome falls short by a long shot.

This is that course:

Description off of the Driveway Austin website:

Grand Prix Course

The Grand Prix Course is the ultimate experience at Driveway Austin. This is the full course with all of the dynamics rolled into a full experience lap. As an extension to the Short and Elevation Course, it adds the element of speed with a 2500’ straight away that emulates the winding straights of the Nurburgring in Germany and the “dogleg” experience from Imola in Italy. At the end of both straights, a prepared car can reach speeds in excess of 130 mph. This circuit is the training ground for mass momentum delay, vehicle degradation at high speeds and most importantly, “Driver Perception”.

In the event we only get about 10 people signed up........

For those of us which have already been to Driveway Austin and have our Foundations license, we will be set up to run the upper courses (Elevations & High Speed put together) while the new guys will be running the short course. Toward the end of the day, Bill indicated everyone will get the chance to run the full course. The way that would probably be worked out would be by running one group while the other is in class.

Both event types will have lunch provided.

Helmets are required to run the upper tracks (Elevations & High Speed) They have loaner helmets for free if you don't have your own.

CONVERTIBLES ARE OKAY TO BRING TO THE TRACK DAY!!

In order to make this a private day 10 people need to be paid in full no less than 30 days prior to the event. Since we are on the calender for May 16th, that means the deadline is April 16th. Day after tax day! Put that tax return to good use! LOL

The cost is: $400 Per Driver.

If you think about that, it works out to $50 bucks an hour for you to be on a track with a professional coach/driver.

Here's a link to the website to signup: http://www.drivewayaustin.com/events...hw_attendees=0

Either way, you will learn a lot about your car and yourself all while having a great time. We all had a great time on our first time out. There was plenty of driving and learning, no one felt short changed at all.

I also stopped in and talked to my Chevy dealer about them sponsoring this event. They seemed up beat about the idea and want me to get them an email with the details. I suggested bringing cars out for test drives too. Never know.... This is going to be great!

Something I think is worth reiterating is this is not going to be your typical rally cross type event, nor is it "open" track time. This is a structured event with professional race car drivers instructing you in the art of high speed racing. They will make you a better driver and the entire day will be a hoot!!

So, there is no comparison to another "track day" which "only" cost a couple hundred bucks. Those are not instructing you with professional drivers riding with you, classroom time, AND lead/follow laps.

Another big thing is after you finish this training day you will have earned your FULL TRACK LICENSE! It even has your picture on it. LOL That license allows you to come back on any day they have open track time and run OPEN TRACK TIME for cheap.

Upper Course (Short Track) practice sessions $25.00 for 20 minutes, or monthly unlimited sessions for $199.00

Full Grand Prix course practice sessions $100.00 for 30 minutes, or monthly unlimited for $399.00

I've done practice time and there's nothing cooler than getting out there when there's no one else on the track and doing your own thing.

People interested at this point: --Current Count: 21 -- (If you're not already on the list I'll still put you on there if you want. Remember, your only interested until you are PAID then you are a Driver/attendee.)

DRIVERS

- Krazzyk01 - PAID
- h018871 - PAID
- txthunder - PAID
- ss1letx - PAID
- mp51998 - PAID
- aquaholic - PAID
- PMJ - PAID
- Jerry7297 - PAID
- nrr8865 - PAID
- CameronG63 - PAID
- KRich2587 - PAID
- STONE SS - PAID
- Mrs Synergy SATX - PAID

Interested Parties:

- Aries240SS
- 12blkgrayRS
- wakespeak
- austinscott
- racer778
- Klepton

Last edited by krazzyk01; 04-24-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Updating list
krazzyk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
i'm interested
Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Yes, I'm interested...
Old 01-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Great! This time around I'll take some PTO so we can do it on a Saturday or Sunday.

For those of us interested please post which you prefer.

Time frame: I'm thinking of somewhere around mid to late April?

I have NOT talked to Driveway Austin yet at all. So we are just trying to spit ball this at the moment.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Chances are, unless we can work out something different, we would be on the short course. I have no idea if they will put together something special for us or not.

Here's the map of the short course...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1_Short Course.pdf (204.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
i'm good for either sat or sun, whatever works best for the majority.
the short course should be fun
Old 01-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
i'm interested
Answered your PM.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Yes, I'm interested...
Thanks for your interest as well.

Do you have any pref for Sat/Sun, month, anything? This is the time for us to start looking at all of this stuff.

Also, if any of you know someone with another performance car as them if they'd like to get their doors blown off by a Camaro. LOL
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
I'm in
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #10
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
I'm in
Bull,

I can't wait to see that beast of yours. Should be interesting to see how it handles the track with all that power.

Also,

The President of the track, Bill Dollahite, personally answered my email yesterday and I'll be getting in touch with him next week to see what we can set up.

Does anybody have any experience getting sponsership for an event? I've never done it and would like to see if it's possible for this event.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Rizzo

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL-1 SIM
I'm in. This would be awesome !
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Debbie and I are definite maybe. I travel a lot more so my time in town is limited. We will keep an eye on this. I let the San Antonio Camaro Club know to come here for details. I think those of us who ran lAst year should be able to get a 20 minute session in. I highly recommend this class. It is exceptionally well conducted on a great track design.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Debbie and I are definite maybe. I travel a lot more so my time in town is limited. We will keep an eye on this. I let the San Antonio Camaro Club know to come here for details. I think those of us who ran lAst year should be able to get a 20 minute session in. I highly recommend this class. It is exceptionally well conducted on a great track design.
Great to hear from ya! If you remember the President/Main Instructor, Bill, I'm meeting with him on Tuesday to figure out some of the details for the event. I would like figure something out where all of us can be out there learning something new together. If that's not possible at least get some of us on the elevations course while others are learning the foundations course. Either way it's a great class and a ton of fun. The last time we were there I clocked 90+ miles of being on the track! I've also got another guy from work that does photography to do pictures again while we're on the track. Those turned out nice too.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
txthunder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS White with Beige Top
My ride is pretty much stock...but I would still love some track time.
txthunder is offline   Reply With Quote