Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #1373
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
"Feels" fast never works.

Your best laps often feel slow.

Nobody is going to know how the 2015 Challenger series is going to compare to the Gen5 Camaro until the same driver, same day, no babysitters on, runs laps.

By the spec sheet, on a tight track, I'm putting my money on a 1LE SS outrunning it, even after giving up 291HP. Weight is a serious enemy.

And like I've said, if the 2015 Challenger did well on the track compared to it's competition, Dodge would not be shy about it.
If track times are so important then why are all these barely used 1LE’s up for sale? Check our forum, it is amazing the amount on the 1st page alone. Could it be that many of these owners became so caught up in magazine track times (I almost did) that they forgot about the performance that is used in 95% of street driving: Straight line acceleration and driver comfort? What % of 1LE, Z/28 owners will ever see a track event, how many of this minute percentage will ever be capable of extracting anywhere near the limits of the car, without fear of wrecking it? There is a reason these cars quickly go up for sale.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #1374
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
The only reasoning I can think of is that MEDISIN must have had his CTSV’s A!s Handed to it by a 392 SRT Challenger and he just can’t get over it. I mean if I had to drive around in a car associated with AARP and the morning YMCA water aerobics class I’d be bitter too.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #1375
2doorrocket

Drives: Gas Guzzlers
Quote:
The only reasoning I can think of is that MEDISIN must have had his CTSV’s A!s Handed to it by a 392 SRT Challenger and he just can’t get over it. I mean if I had to drive around in a car associated with AARP and the morning YMCA water aerobics class I’d be bitter too.
LOL!!!!
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2016 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Previous Vehicles:
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat (RIP)
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack Shaker
2013 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Viper GTS Launch Edition
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2013 Dodge Charger SRT
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Dodge Charger SRT
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2doorrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #1376
4VFTW
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
If track times are so important then why are all these barely used 1LE’s up for sale? Check our forum, it is amazing the amount on the 1st page alone. Could it be that many of these owners became so caught up in magazine track times (I almost did) that they forgot about the performance that is used in 95% of street driving: Straight line acceleration and driver comfort? What % of 1LE, Z/28 owners will ever see a track event, how many of this minute percentage will ever be capable of extracting anywhere near the limits of the car, without fear of wrecking it? There is a reason these cars quickly go up for sale.
4VFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #1377
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Dodge has approached the Challenger Hellcat differently than the Viper, they have released the information on the car in bits and pieces, keeping the interest of the Automotive world, (at least the North American World) maybe they have some more info they are holding on to.

With the Hellcat and the Challengers under it, I'm not sure even if the track numbers are a little less than the ZL1, 1LE etc. if that would be a big loss. The hellcat has good 1/4 mile numbers so if it is 1 or 3 sec. behind the Camaro at the track it's not a make it or break it point.

I think it would still not affect the car because of the 1/4 times that most people will take advantage of.

Last edited by rocket403; 07-24-2014 at 02:28 PM.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #1378
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Some of you guys are seriously saying a man who owns a zl1 and drove a Hellcat..... Doesn't know what he is talking about?

that is like saying that you're not going to believe a first hand witness but will take a Wikipedia article as gospel truth
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #1379
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
All this talk of roadcoarses with a street car. It's almost laughable. Since I was a little boy what excited me about cars was power and the best way to feel that is from a dead stop to go. And, on the street that has always been the primary way hotrodders found out who had more power. I just can't believe that supposed car nuts can't give Dodge props for what they have done here with a car that you can go to a showroom and purchase. In the end it is a far more useable car than Your mighty Z/28 with barley DOT race tires and far more powerful too. I guess I really don't fit in in this growd of people that would rather have sticky tires and fancy brakes over big power. Why do we have to compare the challenger on roadcoarses at all? Let see how a Z/28 does on the 1/4 against the hellcat. Wait, I don't want to hear that it wasn't designed for that. Why wasn't it? Oh, and it must not be as good as GM claims on roadcoarses either. It certainly hasn't taken long to start smashing them up. What a waste of GM's resources. If they were smart they would have just beefed up the power in the ZL1. It's a far nicer car for the street already. It just needs more power now that Dodge stepped up. The ZL1 is a car you can enjoy on the street. You know, the entire reason cars are built in the first place.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2014 at 03:06 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #1380
rocket403

well said

+1
Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #1381
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Some of you guys are seriously saying a man who owns a zl1 and drove a Hellcat..... Doesn't know what he is talking about?

that is like saying that you're not going to believe a first hand witness but will take a Wikipedia article as gospel truth
It can't possibly be true because that may mean that someone other than GM has a better car.
I would rather own a car that scares the hell out of me and is slower around a corner than one that is faster around the corner, but doesn't have the scare factor.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #1382
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post
They had the competitions vehicles there for comparison as well.
BINGO!!! I agree sir.
How else would they know what their competitor's cars can handle and how they stack up against them. They were putting the HC up against all competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Dodge has approached the Challenger Hellcat differently than the Viper, they have released the information on the car in bits and pieces, keeping the interest of the Automotive world, (at least the North American World) maybe they have some more info they are holding on to.
And,.......bingo AGAIN!
You are correct. I like how they're doing that. People are talking smack about this and that, then SRT releases some info and then,.........***crickets***
I bet there's more to this car than just the 1/4 mile. We shall see.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #1383
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
I think it will surprise a lot of people
I agree dodge is keeping with the old school muscle car and I think that is great it makes huge power there is nothing wrong with that. I would not mind having one
Old 07-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #1384
rocket403

Just some info posted by RS on Challenger Talk

HELLCAT update 7/24/2014

U.S. HELLCAT ordering scheduled to open August 8th (Canada already open).

Retail HELLCAT production starts August 4th.

Projected 2015MY production: >3,000 units
Old 07-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #1385
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
All this talk of roadcoarses with a street car. ...
Yes, all this talk of drag strips in a country where running a 17 second ET 1/4 mile pass is illegal on the street.

Oh wait. You must go to a TRACK to run 120mph trap speeds?

Odd. Perhaps they should also have road tracks and AutoX courses instead of just dragstrips so you can go around corners fast!

They do????

To get brutally honest, running a low 9 second ET in an automatic car is pretty tame. Running a moderate lap time at your local track is a bit more effort and far more of a rush.

People who downplay the twisties simply either haven't tried it, or never pushed it.

And next time you see somebody hit the wall in a 12 second car, you can usually blame their lack of seat time in the twisties. You learn real fast how to recover from a slide.

I'm not downplaying dragracing. Lord knows I've got several pounds of timeslips from all over the USA in cars, bikes, and trucks.

It's a bigger rush running a Volt around an AutoX course, than running a low 9 second SuperGas Firebird down the strip.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #1386
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Yes, all this talk of drag strips in a country were running a 17 second ET 1/4 mile pass is illegal on the street.

Oh wait. You must go to a TRACK to run 120mph trap speeds?

Odd. Perhaps they should also have road tracks and AutoX courses instead of just dragstrips so you can go around corners fast!

They do????

To get brutally honest, running a low 9 second ET in an automatic car is pretty tame. Running a moderate lap time at your local track is a bit more effort and far more of a rush.

People who downplay the twisties simply either haven't tried it, or never pushed it.

And next time you see somebody hit the wall in a 12 second car, you can usually blame their lack of seat time in the twisties. You learn real fast how to recover from a slide.

I'm not downplaying dragracing. Lord knows I've got several pounds of timeslips from all over the USA in cars, bikes, and trucks.

It's a bigger rush running a Volt around an AutoX course, than running a low 9 second SuperGas Firebird down the strip.
You missed my entire point. These are street cars not race cars. And for me I like getting pushed back in the seat very quickly more than anything. The first time I ran in an eight second car I near cried with excitement. I road a roller coaster with my daughter the other day that went 0 to 72 mph in 2 seconds. Out of ten awesome coasters that was the one she wanted to ride more than once.

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt