Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
--Important read-- Engine Oil Tech

This is something that everyone needs to read, if you are racing your car or just taking it to car shows your engine oil is the life blood that keeps your car running.

The more aggressive your setup, or the harder you drive your car, the oil you use becomes even more important.

Over the last 10 years, We have recorded approximately 10 failed lifters from customers in the US with our cam kits. We sell on average 150-200 cam kits per year, and more cams by themselves. 6 of these have been in the last 12 months.

Doing testing and research with oil companies, Comp Cams, and also with some of our partners in the turbo production the newer 'EPA approved' oils are reducing the anti wear additive packages more so every year and are increasing the amount of detergents in the oil. While this might sound good to keep the inside of your engine clean it is not helping on keeping the oil protecting like it should.

That is why it is more important now more so than ever for those of you tracking your car, installing bigger cams, turbo's and superchargers that you run an oil that will hold up and protect your investment.

With any of our cam kits we highly suggest the use of a quality oil with a high content of Zinc and Phosphorus. For those racing the car, a racing oil should be used. Do keep in mind most racing oils are 100% detergent free and will need to be changed frequently.

Some oils to use would be RedLine, Amsoil, Joe Gibb, Brad Penn, Valvoline VR1 series.

Further Reading...
http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/trainingcenter/tech/streetoils.htm

http://www.redlineoil.com/techinfo.aspx

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Last edited by Anthony @ LG Motorsports; 10-23-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I noticed Mobil 1 synthetic wasn't on your list?

I don't have the SS, but I care about keeping my car running for a lot of miles.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 2009 CG Z06
Mobil 1 is junk now. 5 years ago, it wasnt.

PLEASE READ

Louis @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Mines filled up with amsoil now that I did a cam and have FI. Used mobil 1 prior to the heavy mods.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
So, from what I'm reading here, these "racing" oils are detrimental (as one article put it) to catalytic converters. So....what about those of us who plan on running high-flow cats AND and big cam package. What are we supposed to use? Any suggestions?
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Good read.....thanks for posting.

For me, looks like I'm okay with the Mobil 1 because my LS3 is stock and I only go drag racing maybe 3-4 times a year. However, if I ever step up to a bigger cam I better be prepared to up my grade (cost) of oil as well.

Just another reason I'll be putting off upgrading my cam for a long time.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
So, from what I'm reading here, these "racing" oils are detrimental (as one article put it) to catalytic converters. So....what about those of us who plan on running high-flow cats AND and big cam package. What are we supposed to use? Any suggestions?
Any of the street oils from Amsoil, RedLine, Joe Gibb would be perfectly fine.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Good read.....thanks for posting.

For me, looks like I'm okay with the Mobil 1 because my LS3 is stock and I only go drag racing maybe 3-4 times a year. However, if I ever step up to a bigger cam I better be prepared to up my grade (cost) of oil as well.

Just another reason I'll be putting off upgrading my cam for a long time.
Even our friends at the dealers are seeing issues with stock cars having lifter issues.

While it is very important for those upgrading the cars, it is still important for the average joe as well....at least if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports View Post

PLEASE READ

I wouldn't go so far as saying it is junk.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
ya , its not like it use to be. i acually found a old bottle in my garage and it feels nothing like the new. it dont have the film ware it seems to me as it use to have.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Bumble Bee View Post
I wouldn't go so far as saying it is junk.
OK, so the company isnt junk, but the standard street oil you buy now, you may as well never change the oil, because its doing the same damage.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports View Post

PLEASE READ

This "story" MAY have some validity regarding a turbo'd ricer thrust bearing but I don't subscribe to the premise that the alleged results of the described "test" has any relevance to using Mobile 1 in a built LS engine.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Louis @ LG Motorsports

You dont have to believe it. You just keep using Mobil 1 street oil in your engine. Until then, my customers that heed our warnings from what us, and other industry experts do best, and do it for a living, will use a proper oil that has zero downside, other than its not readily available.

For the record, there is nothing "ricer" about a 500-600whp 4G63. There is more tech in that engine than you can shake a stick at. Give respect where respect is due.

I dont expect everyone to understand this. I dont expect everyone to understand the dynamics of a cam either.

But calling a legitimate test done by one of the best turbo engineering company in the world only "some what valid" is asinine.

Louis
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
YelloSS

Drives: 2011 GT500
I am not seeing where a 500-600whp 4G63 engine's oil requirements translates directly to what an LS engine at 400-500whp requires.

I read through the articles posted and the one that talks specifically about that engine says that a "race engine" is one that makes over 100bhp per piston. My LS3 makes 416whp which equals a little over 50hp per piston. Even if I was cammed and made 500whp, that would be 62.5 hp per piston. This seems a far cry from the "race engine" they describe in the article.

I am not disagreeing with you that all oils are not created equal, but I wonder if the difference these oils would make on my engine for example would be 200,000 miles versus 190,000 miles At this point you could claim that the oil you mention is better for the engine and you would be correct, but the gain would most likely be minimal in all but the most extreme cases (longevity, or the engine's hp).

Again, not arguing with you on any of these points. I like the discussion.
YelloSS is offline   Reply With Quote