Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
I am curious about adding the filter for 75 to my existing enjin. would be interesting to see if the filter itself flows better like the claims.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
I am curious about adding the filter for 75 to my existing enjin. would be interesting to see if the filter itself flows better like the claims.
I know the filter def flows more as it showed in my datalog. I actually have used this same air filter to custom rig it with my AEM tube and used the driver side fog light port as air access when I was experimenting with different things that was floating in my head LOL. Since then I did take it off as I really didnt like the way it fit behind my bumper.

I have one for sale, just the filter if anyone interested, $40 bucks
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I know the filter def flows more as it showed in my datalog. I actually have used this same air filter to custom rig it with my AEM tube and used the driver side fog light port as air access when I was experimenting with different things that was floating in my head LOL. Since then I did take it off as I really didnt like the way it fit behind my bumper.

I have one for sale, just the filter if anyone interested, $40 bucks
Yeah I have the short with a scoop so I don't think it should matter, I assume it is the 4inch x 10inch. About to shell out a chunk of change this week for IM and Isolator, but if you still have it in a few weeks I may take you up on the offer.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I tried to get in contact with the weapon r guys based out in bay area but it look like they are going to be out until after the 14th, but I was able to get in contact with one of their distributor, the guys over at CARID, by the way which are some very nice and helpful peoples anyhow, they are also going to work on getting more info for us so I will keep you all updated.

and about the heat shield, it look like weapon r does not provide heat shield for any of their intakes and not just for the camaro, but they do offer another filter which has a clear built in heat shield over the actual filter.

I want more info on this as much as some of you guys so I will def keep you all updated
Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
the theories behind what they are saying are sound, the question is, does it work. As scrming pointed out, the Venturi effect can be used to do some interesting things. We used something like this to actually cool air. It has a tube that you fed compressed air into & it created a vortex that fed cooled air from one side & heated air from the other. Very interesting stuff.

Here's an example for anyone interested in reading

http://www.pelmareng.com/pdf/vortec_...Cold_Tubes.pdf

I wonder if you could add a small belt drive compressor & use one of these to pump some colder air into your intake & lower the air temp...lol
Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
bmorecam
Account Suspended

There are two things that I do know certainly. Their filter does in fact flow more than my K&N cotton filter that my AEM brute force came with. I actually used this same exact filter but a smaller 6" version when i was experimenting with different things. My datalog show way more flow at higher rpm vs the K&N filter. I also know that boylar law work. This theory is all proven theory by peoples that are probably way more smarter than most of us but.... Does it work with this particular situation? I have no clue LOL. I really wish I can find out.

To get a bigger bang and to get that crankshaft to turn we need to cramp more air and fuel in the combustion chamber. We know we can pump in more fuel until it reaches it's limit so that's really not a problem, but even if the boylar law does work to draw in more air, the key question is, is it "enough" to create more power and make it a different animal in its own league of air intakes?

It's definitely a good sales pitch to include Venturi effect and boylar law in the advertisement and it definitely draw attention, but even if it work, does it draw in enough air to be noticeably different?

There are many things about this intake that could work, such as boylar law, 2 size piping, and high flow foam filter that I know for a fact it flow good. The thing that really catch my attention is how short the overall piping is, they compensated the extra length with the 10" air filter. Shortening the path is a good thing, higher velocity mean more power and more throttle response. One of the reason why vararam work so well.

So who is going to test this intake
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I dunno....that thing sits in the engine bay. I don't care how fast you throw air into the engine, but if it's hot air from the engine bay, I don't want any part of it.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Drives: 15gt
well if the filter is as good as they say then just get a filter but that arm looks pretty short
Agarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I dunno....that thing sits in the engine bay. I don't care how fast you throw air into the engine, but if it's hot air from the engine bay, I don't want any part of it.
You can always build your own heat shield probably one of the easiest things to do.

I wonder if those guys over at weapon r is willing to offer one up for testing if we show enough interest.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Drives: 15gt
whats funny is i did a search for reviews and alot of people said it requires some ghetto rigging
Agarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
You can always build your own heat shield probably one of the easiest things to do.

I wonder if those guys over at weapon r is willing to offer one up for testing if we show enough interest.
they should definitly send you one to test out. If they make good numbers, theyll definitly have a lot of interest just off this forum alone

The theory of the intake does make sense
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
I think it's junk science. Let's do the math:

Volume of a cylider = pi*R^2*H (pi times radius squared time height)

A 3" intake that is 20 inches long has a volume of 188.5 cubic inches.
A 2" intake tube 20 inches long has a volume of 125.66 cubic inches.

They stated they CAPPED OFF the inner 2" tube.

188.5 - 125.66 = 62.84 cubic inches.

This volume (the 3 inch tube with the inner 2 inch tube blocked off) flowed 1.4. so, roughly 62 inches of space flowed 1.4

The volume of both the inner and outer COMBINED (i.e. same volmue as just the 3 inch without the 2 inch removed) is 188.5 cubic inches. This is roughly 3 times the total volume of the first measurement. So, simplistic math says it should flow 1.4 * 3 = 4.2.

Yet, this test showed a flow rate of 2.3.

This seems to me to say the inner tube is actually a restriction to the overall flow.

I'm not an aerospace engineer. This is simple math, so there could be something different involved that I'm missibng.

Secondly, a venturi is NOT a second, inner tube. A venturi is a second, shorter ring/tube within the main tube. The key is a venturi has a changing diameter that affects the DIRECTION of airflow to increase air speed or pressure. That was how Carbeurators worked. The venturi had a tube leading to the fuel bowl, as the airflow passed over the venturi, it created a vacuum that pulled the gas into the main air tube, feeding the engine the mixture of air and gas. So, unless the inner tube slowly decreases in size from opening to exit, it's not a venturi.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
mpiper, your theory is spot on and i agree that they don't show any type of restriction that would create the venturi effect, at least not in the standard definition of venturi. but when it comes to the relations of volume, pressure, and mass...maybe there is more behind the science of it. anyhow...here are my thoughts on it.

it is possible that the inner tube allows for the air to flow faster since the volume is smaller compared to the outer tube where the air is flowing at a slower rate due to the larger volume thus creating a higher pressure. what does that mean? the inner tube acts as a vacuum to the outer tube...something like that. i could be all wrong, but i believe thats the theory behind it.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/du...ons-d_883.html

this might help. i'd do it myself but a mans gotta eat!

Last edited by hapisok; 02-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote