Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
J_Grand

Drives: 2SS
Engine power reduced/service stabilitrak/throttle body/check engine light

Last Thursday, I was driving my SS in the rain. As soon as entered the freeway my "engine power reduced" light came on and my car began to sputter and would not go over 40 mph. I pulled to the shoulder and called a tow truck. Anticipating a major issue I had it towed to the dealer (terrible idea). They charged me $110 for a diagnose, and that $110 didn't even go toward the future work on the car. My car was diagnosed with a bad throttle body, and they recommended my fuel lines be cleaned as well all for $700. I went to go pick it up without the work being performed. I drove it about 10 miles to my house and the car responded like normal, but the check engine light was on. Today was the first time I started it since Thursday as I decided to wash it while I waited on my part to be devlivered, so I pulled it out the garage and the check engine light was off. At this point I don't think my throttle body is bad, I just think the sensor is. Does anyone know if they just sale the throttle body sensor without buying the entire throttle body???
J_Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Yknjack
Yknjack

Drives: 2014 Yellow RS Vert
How many miles on car

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
J_Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknjack View Post
How many miles on car

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Just under 63k
Old 10-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Just a heads up....this happened to me last Saturday on the way to the track. Sitting in traffic from construction my car started to sputter and run rough. Exactly like your description. Pulled off into a commuter parking lot. Checked all connections ...let it sit ...tries restarting...nothing worked. Upon further investigation I noticed the longer spark plug wire that come with my JBA shorty headers had twisted just enough to sit on the header. I'm not sure how long it was in contact with it. Pulled it off...it had just barely burned through the casing but was just enough to cause and arching I guess. Re adjusted it to a better position off the header....bingo .The car fired right up ...I drove it over 2 hours to the track raced it ...drove home no issues. The cel did stay on even after 2 hours of driving. At the track I pull the positive off the battery for a couple of minutes then it reset. I didn't realize that it seems like anything puts the car into that safe mode. Check your plug wires.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
sensor is not available separate.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
J_Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
First thing you want to do it check sensor connections throttle body, maf map etc as you may have got moisture into a connection causing this issue, also clear the codes as they will remain until cleared into the pcm memory,
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
J_Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Just a heads up....this happened to me last Saturday on the way to the track. Sitting in traffic from construction my car started to sputter and run rough. Exactly like your description. Pulled off into a commuter parking lot. Checked all connections ...let it sit ...tries restarting...nothing worked. Upon further investigation I noticed the longer spark plug wire that come with my JBA shorty headers had twisted just enough to sit on the header. I'm not sure how long it was in contact with it. Pulled it off...it had just barely burned through the casing but was just enough to cause and arching I guess. Re adjusted it to a better position off the header....bingo .The car fired right up ...I drove it over 2 hours to the track raced it ...drove home no issues. The cel did stay on even after 2 hours of driving. At the track I pull the positive off the battery for a couple of minutes then it reset. I didn't realize that it seems like anything puts the car into that safe mode. Check your plug wires.

I will check that to ensure that's not the issue
Old 10-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
J_Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
sensor is not available separate.
I figured they didn't, I have my new throttle body sitting in my garage. At this point I'm not sure if I should put it on. The car is acting normal and I have been driving it for 3 days...