Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjbass View Post
I need some help and would really appreciate any input. I recently put in a 2013 zl1 differential in my 2014 manual Camaro SS. However, I got it out of an automatic. (though I got the entire thing for 1400 including axles and driveshaft). I did not realize that the driveshaft is longer in the automatics. I am So, I am looking into shortening the drive shaft but I don't know how much I need to tell them to shorten it.
PFA
i can tell you but i will say this, the stock shafts are not a usual style "welded shaft" and a pilot would need to be created, most shops do not know how to do this and do not have the fixtures to balance it if they can shorten it. if you want to know the length send me a PM
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I'd like to revive this thread, I am currently trying to put a manual ZL1 driveshaft into my manual 2011 Camaro SS. I have the ZL1 differential already swapped in. Although this driveshaft seems like it's about an inch too short, is it common to have to stretch the two piece drive shaft to make the ends meet in between the transmission and the differential?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #17
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Update, the driveshaft ended up fitting, but it seems stretched out, if that makes sense....

IF it's in, and bolted/torqued on both ends, then we should be good to go then, right?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #18
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
If it's in, I'm sure you're fine.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
dcarroll95

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1990 Corvette ZR1
Thanks for the comparison picture

I have 4 ZL1s that I'm rebuilding and probably mixed up the driveshafts. Just spent over an hour trying to get the driveshaft in which I've done twice before relatively easily. For some reason today it was impossible. Looked up the part#s and they are different and that picture showing the auto being so much longer will help me out quite a bit tomorrow when I give it another shot. Plus it looks like the difference is mostly or only in the front piece.
dcarroll95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #20
dcarroll95

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1990 Corvette ZR1
Auto vs Manual front piece picture

See the picture below which shows 3 auto driveshaft front pieces and one manual. The manual one is shorter and is second from the left.

The back half was the same length auto or manual.

For ZL1, manual driveshaft is marked AADM on the front piece.
For ZL1, automatic driveshaft is marked AADL on the front piece
Attached Images

dcarroll95 is offline   Reply With Quote