Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Pfadt LCA Bushing install help

I purchased these sets of Pfadt bushings:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/198

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/195

I can't seem to find any installation instructions for these bushings. I currently have the cradle removed for sub frame and diff bushings that I am installing.

I am assuming that I need to remove the lca's and press out the inner bushings with a press and replace with the Pfadt bushings. The diameter of the new bushings seem larger than the than the opening.

Anybody have any tips?
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The best resource for technical support is going to be Pfadt themselves. They can be reached at 888-972-2464. Keep in mind that they are in Salt Lake City so they are probably just getting in.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Bill Waters

Drives: 2011 RS/SS; 1965 Cobra Factory Five
ITguy11 - I am in the midst of a Pfadt stage 5 install. I called Pfadt regarding the absence of any instructions for the bushing kit. As usual, the Pfadt folks were very pleasant but -unusual for them - did not have any specific suggestions regarding the bushing installation. I have not yet done the LCA bushings, but, based on doing the upper rear, the bushings consist of a formed sheet metal outer shell containing a bonded rubber bushing, also bonded to the metal inner sleeve. So there is little in the way of a surface to use press tools to push the bushing out. I had to use a sawzall to cut circumferentially around the inside of the steel shell, then use a fine metal- cutting blade to cut almost through the shell to weaken the wall (without cutting into the CA), then use punches to peel the shell inward, where if done properly, it will split along the line cut into the shell. I find all of the install much more time- consuming than anticipated. I will keep you posted if I discover anything helpful.

Bill
Bill Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
I ended up getting all of my bushings changed. I brought the lower control arms to work and had a guy turn down a piece of bar stock to the exact size needed to press out the factory bushings. You are correct, there is very little surface to press the stock bushings out, but once the rod was the correct diameter they came out with ease using a press.
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
The easiest way if you've got access to a press is to remove the control arm completely, use an appropriately sized socket or as mentioned above a piece of bar stock and press it out. Once you've got the process down the other size is a breeze.

Just like the other steel sleeved bushings on the Camaro using a sawzall to remove material and then weaken the steel sleeve also works... but in our experience since the control arms aren't particularly difficult to remove it's probably easiest to take them over to a press or machine shop and have them quickly pressed out.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote