Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I sure made a mess of things...

I decided to change my oil today... I have 1300 miles on the car and I'm taking a long trip to my parents house in PA tomorrow.

When I took the bolt out to drain the oil, since the bolt is on the side of the oil pan, it shot out further than I expected and I totally missed my drain pan.

I slid the pan over to the right place and I went in the house to get a rag to wipe the oil off my hand.

When I came back out there was oil everywhere! I forgot to unscrew the cap in the drain pan to let the oil go inside it and it overflowed all over my parking space.

So now I'm sticking my hand in the hot oil trying to get the cap off and getting oil all over the sleeve of my coat and causing even more oil to overflow.

The rest of it went fairly easily, but I had to go to the Auto parts store and get some oil absorbing material and walk around like a chicken, kicking this stuff around to get it to soak up all that oil.

I also had to wash my winter coat and I had no time to dry it before I had to come to work tonight, so I had to wear my Autumn Jacket jacket to work tonight and it's only 17 degrees out.

I'm glad I can laugh at myself and learned what NOT to do next time I change my oil.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
haha it does shoot out far
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
I can picture the Benny Hill music in the background with slide whistle noises while this was happening
Old 12-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
I can picture the Benny Hill music in the background with slide whistle noises while this was happening
Oh, I do so miss Benny Hill!!!

Anyway, Sterling, it took guts telling this story! But I do think we've all done the exact same things in the past...and probably will again in the future! And even though I'm laughing...I'm not laughing at you, I really am laughing with you!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Like it was said above, most of us who change our own oil are guilty of doing the same or similar things, sucks when your the one it is happening to but it only takes that one time to learn.

I was showing a interested neighborhood kid how to change the oil once and it ended up the same way. When everything was said and done I told him that it was more of a lesson on paying attention to what your doing than changing oil.

Bet ya won't forget to check the drain pan ever again after this.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
Even better is forgetting to put the plug back in the oil pan, you end up dumping about 2 quarts in before you see it oozing out from under the car. You have removed the drain pan since you are done draining the oil.

I just heard of people doing this I have not done it twice myself...
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
You're not alone. The worst thing I've ever done is install the wrong oil filter on my 96 T/A. It sprayed over 2 qts of synthetic oil all over my garage as I was backing up the car. This was a huge mess to clean up and it stained the concrete.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
hahaha reminds me of a funny story I did.

I was pulling the 327 out of the 67 camaro with the tranny still attached. Well it had been sitting with the yoke pulled out of the tranny and the drive shaft removed and no fluid came out so I figure (inexperience) that it would not come out...

So i hooked up the cherry picker, unbolted the motor mounts and started cranking it up. As soon as the engine got above the tranny at an angle... it was a RIVER of tranny fluid comming out of the rear of the tranny. I was screwed, I just had to let it all pour out on the floor of the shop. Then to make it worse... way worse... I got everything out, went to clean up the mess and the chain somehow slipped on the cherry picker and the engine fell about 6-8 inches onto the legs of the cherry picker. dented the oil pan, ruined the crank pulley and broke the cherry picker casters. The engine seems to be fine but i have not put it back in yet... time will tell. If its bad may be time for that crate motor!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Sorry to hear of your troubles, sounds like a comedy of errors. It won't be long before you look back and laugh at this. Most of have had our mis cues, so you are not alone.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Danny5

Drives: 10 2SS, 08 Sienna, 12 Sonic
I pulled the old oil filter and didn't notice that the gasket stayed behind. When I started her up and backed her out of the garage, I left a huge river of oil. lol