Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #43
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Slightly off topic, but how long should I wait to do the fuse pull? Should I run a few tanks of 93 through first? I don't know for sure if I'm on the low octane table, but I'm sure the dealer was springing for 93 the whole time. A sales guy said it's ok to run 89. So, figure I'd better do the pull at some point just to make sure.
It's best to leave them out overnight, just to be sure. And yes, run at least two full tanks first before pulling them, again, just to be sure you are fully purged.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #44
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Time for a fuse pull...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #45
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
sorry if dumb question but, do you pull 5 and 20 then re insert fuses?
mikeinmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #46
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
sorry if dumb question but, do you pull 5 and 20 then re insert fuses?
Not a dumb question, but yes, 5 and 20. Search the threads, someone has posted a really nice pic of this procedure.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #47
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Ofer, you are the exception. You drive so much that you would be spending hundreds more a month if you used premium lol
I dont know if hundreds more a month, but my point was you may think you loss HP and add knock in the engine, but it depends on a lot more then only gas, any one can make a car ping any one, try driving in 6th at 800 RPM and your car will ping.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #48
11 Camaro IBM

Drives: Camaro IBM
V6 I use premium only 93
11 Camaro IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #49
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Wow.

Yes i would highly suggest premium. This is what you wanted right? You gotta pay to play. Also please dont go on what your salesman was saying or forgot to say clearly they dont know jack. True Story.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #50
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Why is everyone bashing the op on the cost of premium vs 87 when he never mentioned cost? If he was not told that it was recommended and it's not posted on the car anywhere (gas cap only says to "tighten until one click or the service engine light may come on") why would you know to put premium in? The only reason I knew was I researched the car before I bought it. Using a higher octane than needed fuel is a waste of money and since the car was running without knocking or pinging he wanted to know why premium was recommended, nothing about cost or not wanting to use premium. To answer the ops question: Chevy put 2 tables in the ECM, one the requires the use of premium to get the advertised HP/performance from the car and the 2nd to allow the car to run on 87 without damage, but with loss of HP/performance. So you can safely run 87 in it, but to get the most Permagrin from it you will need to run premium! Also it has been found that the ECM won't switch to the premium table on its own so you will need to do a "fuse pull" (5 & 20) to reset it back to that table.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #51
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
why would you know to put premium in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
I was reading my owner's manual the other day and in there it recommends "premium" with a 91 or higher octane rating.
I think he knows
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #52
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Since the op was running 87 THEN read the manual he didn't know at first. My guess is most people don't read the manual before driving a new car much less all of it. My question was if you are not told and hadn't read the manual yet how would you know?
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #53
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Unless he forgot to mention it, when the saleman was explaining things on my new 2011 Camaro 2SS, he never said anything about using premium gasoline. So, I kept using the "regular" 87 octane. I was reading my owner's manual the other day and in there it recommends "premium" with a 91 or higher octane rating.

My Camaro doesn't "ping or knock" using the lower octane, So, my question is, is the higher octane really necessary?
Doesn't it say on the gas cap that you look at every time you fill up Premium recommended? This is really the first you see this?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #54
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
yeah it really is surprise to me when people spend time asking these types of questions for $3 a tank. get a credit card with gas rewards to absorb the difference if you're really concerned.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #55
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
Why is everyone bashing the op on the cost of premium vs 87 when he never mentioned cost? If he was not told that it was recommended and it's not posted on the car anywhere (gas cap only says to "tighten until one click or the service engine light may come on") why would you know to put premium in? The only reason I knew was I researched the car before I bought it. Using a higher octane than needed fuel is a waste of money and since the car was running without knocking or pinging he wanted to know why premium was recommended, nothing about cost or not wanting to use premium. To answer the ops question: Chevy put 2 tables in the ECM, one the requires the use of premium to get the advertised HP/performance from the car and the 2nd to allow the car to run on 87 without damage, but with loss of HP/performance. So you can safely run 87 in it, but to get the most Permagrin from it you will need to run premium! Also it has been found that the ECM won't switch to the premium table on its own so you will need to do a "fuse pull" (5 & 20) to reset it back to that table.
Ok, I stand corrected, I thought it did but maybe I'm just used to the fuel cap saying that.

To those asking how long to wait for the fuse pull, do it after a couple of tanks. Someone said do it first then fill with premium, I guess this would work if you drained your tank and fuel lines first. For most of us in the real world even when you fill up there will be 3-4 gallons in the tank from the older gas. It's a 19 gallon tank, how many of you have put in close to 19 gallons?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #56
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Unless he forgot to mention it, when the saleman was explaining things on my new 2011 Camaro 2SS, he never said anything about using premium gasoline. So, I kept using the "regular" 87 octane. I was reading my owner's manual the other day and in there it recommends "premium" with a 91 or higher octane rating.

My Camaro doesn't "ping or knock" using the lower octane, So, my question is, is the higher octane really necessary?

This is a great question OP, excuse the knuckleheads who only want to talk money in this thread cause they have no real experience or knowledge to add.

Other than lower performance and possibly lower mpg, will running the lower-test fuel damage the engine or cause any parts to wear out quicker? Carbon build up?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote