Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #29
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I respectfully disagree. For $32k (1SS money), I got a premium trim 5.0, with leather, interior upgrade, premium wheels, and a premium sound system. You can't touch a Camaro with all that for less than about $35k with incentives and discounts. And even then, you don't get voice activation, and no VVT on the V8. And the Camaro may have IRS, but the Mustang (even in standard form) is better balanced, and out-handles the SS by a significant margin (something like .90G vs .98G).

As for the other items you listed, heated mirrors are worthless on a car no one drives in the snow, and make much sense as putting 4WD with a low range on it. Backup camera is useless to me as I look out the back window or at my mirrors when backing up, not down at the dash. Mustang does have automatic headlights. And I don't know about auto-dimming mirrors because honestly, I've never noticed. So in terms of usefulness, what you are essentially down to is a $4k head up display and maybe a mirror (and admittedly, a little better looking car).

And I bought mine two months after the launch of the 5.0 when incentives were much smaller, so you can probably buy my car cheaper today than what I paid if you shop around. And I know most who buy in this segment don't normally consider this, but with help from the TiVCT and efficiency of that SRA, I get 30 mpg @ 70mph on the interstate (yes, with the V8), so I'm probably saving a few hundred extra every single year on fuel. Dollar for dollar, a Mustang is a better value if you have no brand preference, which I don't.

Before I bought my Camaro I priced a mustang. Cheaper, plus Ford offered much better deals. It would have been about $12,000 less.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #30
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. For $32k (1SS money), I got a premium trim 5.0, with leather, interior upgrade, premium wheels, and a premium sound system. You can't touch a Camaro with all that for less than about $35k with incentives and discounts. And even then, you don't get voice activation, and no VVT on the V8. And the Camaro may have IRS, but the Mustang (even in standard form) is better balanced, and out-handles the SS by a significant margin (something like .90G vs .98G).

As for the other items you listed, heated mirrors are worthless on a car no one drives in the snow, and make much sense as putting 4WD with a low range on it. Backup camera is useless to me as I look out the back window or at my mirrors when backing up, not down at the dash. Mustang does have automatic headlights. And I don't know about auto-dimming mirrors because honestly, I've never noticed. So in terms of usefulness, what you are essentially down to is a $4k head up display and maybe a mirror (and admittedly, a little better looking car).

And I bought mine two months after the launch of the 5.0 when incentives where much smaller, so you can probably buy my car cheaper today than what I paid if you shop around. And I know most who buy in this segment don't normally consider this, but with help from the TiVCT and efficiency of that SRA, I get 30 mpg @ 70mph on the interstate (yes, with the V8), so I'm probably saving a few hundred extra every single year on fuel. Dollar for dollar, a Mustang is a better value if you have no brand preference, which I don't.
not exactly true...... can get 1LE for 35k. and takes a 45k Boss 302 Laguna Seca to come close. the only thing that gives the Stangs a nice jump where as in the past 30 years or so car for car speed/performance has always kinda been one sided for Camaro, is the fact that So much additional is done to the Mustangs at the factory, more aggressive cam, more aggressive electronic tune, 32 valve (very nice i might add intake system) All of which Ford purposely did so that for once they could say Stock GT vs Stock SS. they would win.

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #31
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
not exactly true...... can get 1LE for 35k. and takes a 45k Boss 302 Laguna Seca to come close. the only thing that gives the Stangs a nice jump where as in the past 30 years or so car for car speed/performance has always kinda been one sided for Camaro, is the fact that So much additional is done to the Mustangs at the factory, more aggressive cam, more aggressive electronic tune, 32 valve (very nice i might add intake system) All of which Ford purposely did so that for once they could say Stock GT vs Stock SS. they would win.
The 1LE starts are 37K with no other options on a 1SS. Load up a 2SS and you are around 43K on a 2SS 1LE, about the prices of a Boss 302, but without the forged motor.

Mustangs are better prices. I would have saved money getting a mustang, but chose the camaro for various reasons.

The incentives on a 2013 mustang are very steep right now:

0% APR for 60 mos.
Ford Credit Financing

PLUS up to
$4,000
Bonus Cash

OR up to
$6,000
Cash Back

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2013/incentives/
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
aggieguy13

32k sticker +35001le. 35.5. not 37. Dont get me wrong. not saying the mustangs dont come to the table prepaired. they look good. perform adequately as well.

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
32k sticker +35001le. 35.5. not 37. Dont get me wrong. not saying the mustangs dont come to the table prepaired. they look good. perform adequately as well.
With the current $1500 incentive. Before that it was $37035
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
aggieguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
The 1LE starts are 37K with no other options on a 1SS. Load up a 2SS and you are around 43K on a 2SS 1LE, about the prices of a Boss 302, but without the forged motor.

Mustangs are better prices. I would have saved money getting a mustang, but chose the camaro for various reasons.

The incentives on a 2013 mustang are very steep right now:

0% APR for 60 mos.
Ford Credit Financing

PLUS up to
$4,000
Bonus Cash

OR up to
$6,000
Cash Back

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2013/incentives/

ya thats the one thing Ford will do chevy wont. Chevy honestly knows if you dont buy it it will be gone shortly so they dont need to budge. and are very hardheaded on that.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgun View Post
Because GM spent a lot of time making such a sexy looking car!!! I mean just look at the sexy PHAT butt on the Camaro!!!
Hey Fastgun, I'm going to have the same thing in my driveway on Saturday, VR 1LE SS and my 2007 VR Avalanche
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #36
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The Mustang is cheaper, I don't think anyone questions that. When I went looking, I looked at the GT with the track pack against the 1LE. Drove both, no question which one rides nicer. Then watched a pro take the track pack mustang and the 1LE around Willow Springs, no question which the right car was. Yes you have to pay more but its worth it.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
What Camaro SS today stickers for $32k? You can probably get one for that after incentives and discounts.

Quote:
ya thats the one thing Ford will do chevy wont. Chevy honestly knows if you dont buy it it will be gone shortly so they dont need to budge. and are very hardheaded on that.
GM stickers are much closer to invoice than Ford's. So apart from the factory incentives, you'll generally be able to get a Ford dealer to knock an extra $750-$1000 more off the sticker than a GM dealer can do.

As for sales, the Mustang and Camaro have been selling in nearly identical numbers lately (maybe with a 5% at best edge Camaro over Mustang).
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
before i bought my 2ss, i went to a ford dealer to try to get approved on a '13 gt.. they wanted 18% APR because my credit sucks.. said **** that, drove down the street to the chevy dealer and got a '12 2ss with 82 miles on it for 8% apr

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
I went from a 2013 5.0 premium package, paid 32 for it. After riding in a buds camaro (l99 i might add) i was sold. Just felt better put together. I was able to get a 2ss rs 45th with sunroof and hurst 6 speed for 32500, a better deal then my almost base mustang. Now was my mustang faster? A smidge, but thats another topoc
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
BigRedMikeLV

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:

And I bought mine two months after the launch of the 5.0 when incentives were much smaller, so you can probably buy my car cheaper today than what I paid if you shop around. And I know most who buy in this segment don't normally consider this, but with help from the TiVCT and efficiency of that SRA, I get 30 mpg @ 70mph on the interstate (yes, with the V8), so I'm probably saving a few hundred extra every single year on fuel. Dollar for dollar, a Mustang is a better value if you have no brand preference, which I don't.
Where are you getting your Mustang prices from? Your ass? Looking at Ford's site right now, the base GT Premium for a 2013 is $36345 starting MSRP and the 2014 is $35000, both almost as much as a 2SS base. If you are talking negotiated price, that is moot. Every dealer will give you a different price depending on their circumstances.
BigRedMikeLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #41
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizlipkick View Post
I went from a 2013 5.0 premium package, paid 32 for it. After riding in a buds camaro (l99 i might add) i was sold. Just felt better put together. I was able to get a 2ss rs 45th with sunroof and hurst 6 speed for 32500, a better deal then my almost base mustang. Now was my mustang faster? A smidge, but thats another topoc
That's a bit of a pointless comparison. Of course you pay less buying used than buying new. That you went from a new 2013 to a used 2012, and paid more for the used car kinda makes the point.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #42
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedMikeLV View Post
Where are you getting your Mustang prices from? Your ass? Looking at Ford's site right now, the base GT Premium for a 2013 is $36345 starting MSRP and the 2014 is $35000, both almost as much as a 2SS base. If you are talking negotiated price, that is moot. Every dealer will give you a different price depending on their circumstances.
Not sure if that is an error on their site or not...why a 2013 would be priced $1345 more than a 2014 is a mystery to me.

Here's what I know for sure: First, when I bought mine, the sticker was $35,785. That was for a premium trim and included over $2k worth of options. After the rebates and everything, I paid $32k, which was about the best I could find anywhere on a 1SS (not a 2SS) with just $495 worth of options (no leather, no USB port or Bluetooth, no voice activation, and just a bare black plastic interior.)

Second, given the sticker, the incentives, and the difference between sticker and invoice, any buyer who isn't a doormat should be able to leave the dealer today with a new 2014 GT Premium for $32k, and be near or perhaps a little under $31k on a remaining 2013. A base GT would be at least $4k less than that. No where will you find a new 1SS for anywhere near $27-28K, or a new 2SS for anywhere near $31-32K.

The negotiated price is what matters. The sticker price is what is moot, because no one pays sticker. And while it is true that the negotiation will be different from dealer to dealer, the factory incentives won't (Ford's are generally larger), and the invoice won't. That there is a much larger gap between invoice and sticker on a Ford than a Chevy means that any buyer who does even 15 minutes of homework before buying will be systematically more likely to get a much bigger discount from sticker on a Ford than a Chevy.