Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
RIP Dave Niehaus Voice of THe Seattle M's

you will be missed,

SEATTLE -- Dave Niehaus, the Hall of Fame broadcaster who called Seattle Mariners games from their first season through this year, has died. He was 75.

The team confirmed the death Wednesday night.

Niehaus was the voice of the Mariners from their first game on April 6, 1977, through the end of the 2010 season with his golden Midwestern voice punctuated by his trademark "My oh my!" and "It will fly away!" calls.

He was the recipient of the 2008 Ford C. Frick Award and was inducted into the broadcasters wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

The cause of death was not immediately known. The Mariners were expected to make a statement later Wednesday.

Since the Mariners' inception in 1977, Niehaus served as an instructor for baseball fans in the Pacific Northwest, a region void of the major league game sans the Seattle Pilots' one-year experiment in 1969. Adults and kids regularly tuned in on summer evenings to hear Niehaus try to put his best spin on what were among the worst teams in baseball during much of the club's history.

But no matter how bad the Mariners were, Niehaus never let the on-field product affect his approach to the game. He always brought enthusiasm and drama to some horrible teams, horrible games and horrible seasons.

"All of us in this business, guys, this is the toy department of life," Niehaus said before his Hall of Fame induction in 2008. "It's a narcotic. Anyone who is involved in this business, whether it be my end or [the writing] end or the front office end, we're lucky. We're lucky people."

Niehaus got into broadcasting as a student at Indiana. He worked for the Armed Forces Network in Los Angeles and New York before anchoring himself in the L.A. market in the late 1960s and early '70s, calling games for the California Angels and UCLA football. In 1976 at the baseball winter meetings, Niehaus was encouraged to interview for the lead play-by-play job with the expansion Mariners.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
That's a bummer. I can still remember him yelling "Get out the mustard and rye bread, it's a grand salami!".
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
That's a bummer. I can still remember him yelling "Get out the mustard and rye bread, it's a grand salami!".

He was one of the best. Him and Rick Rizz would trade places for half the games. Rizz would do 4 innings on radio and Dave on TV, then Rizz would go to TV and Dave would go to the radio. Rick Rizz was always good with his 'Goodbye Baseball', but NOTHING was better than 'Swuuuung oon and beelted........ deep to right reild...... FLYAAWAAAAYYYYYYYYYY"

Sucks to hear.