Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
LPW Differential Cover Install

I currently have a LPW cover on the car but one of the load bolts cracked during install. It started to leak recently through this crack and I will be pulling the differential to put in new load bolts.

My question basically is can a new OEM gasket be used with this cover, some shops say yes some say just use RTV. The first time i installed I used RTV but I will not have the time to let it sit overnight this time around and would like to use the stock gasket. Has anyone done the install like this?
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
I currently have a LPW cover on the car but one of the load bolts cracked during install. It started to leak recently through this crack and I will be pulling the differential to put in new load bolts.

My question basically is can a new OEM gasket be used with this cover, some shops say yes some say just use RTV. The first time i installed I used RTV but I will not have the time to let it sit overnight this time around and would like to use the stock gasket. Has anyone done the install like this?
I used it with the stock gasket with no issues. Did the bolt crack or the case? Not sure I understand how you would crack the bolt.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
c_LoW29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
I used it with the stock gasket with no issues. Did the bolt crack or the case? Not sure I understand how you would crack the bolt.

The tip of the bolt where the allen wrench tightnens the load bolt cracked was a defective bolt. Went to tighten to 10ft/lbs and it cracked then over time it just started coming off.

So you used stock gasket with no RTV except for under the load bolt locking nut?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
The tip of the bolt where the allen wrench tightnens the load bolt cracked was a defective bolt. Went to tighten to 10ft/lbs and it cracked then over time it just started coming off.

So you used stock gasket with no RTV except for under the load bolt locking nut?
Yes Sir, but not sure why it would leak, the crack should be above the locking nut.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
c_LoW29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Yes Sir, but not sure why it would leak, the crack should be above the locking nut.

It might have been from not putting rtv under the load locking nut but they sent me new bolts so I might as well pull it just to be sure rather than chance it and run low on gear oil eventually. It only leaked when taking it to the track and it was only a couple of drips. Nothing serious but I do my own work so might as well.

Thanks for the input. I figured the stock gasket would work considering it has its own bead of built in RTV