Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
1up5dn

Drives: 2011 Black RS SS
Well I am now a believer in Chevron. I cannot get anything better than 91 octane in the area, but was told to at least use a station that sells lots of premium so it isn't stale. I figured I would try Costco, since their premium is the same price as most station's low grades. Well, I started to notice my car seemed "flat" and would once in a while have a moment of running great.

Long story, so to get to the end, I changed to Chevron exclusively and every tankful since then I have set personal records for miles per tank and the car is waking up! I even changed plugs and wires trying to get to the bottom of this.

So, for me at least, the extra cost of Chevron is paying for itself when I am getting close to 30-40 more miles before the fuel light comes on.

Chris....
1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I only use Chevron 93 in mine. Some guys say there's no difference in performance between 93 and 87 in the V6 but I can tell that my Camaro runs better on the 93 so nuttin' but the best for my baby!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
To qualify for top tier all three grades must have the required detergents.
Most have detergents in the mid and prem grades but skimp on Reg gas.
So if you use reg 87 you want to use top tier to ensure a clean engine.
My LLT loves every minute of reg gasoline.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
I run shell Gasoline 93 octane. If I go on a Trip I time my gas stops to when I see a Shell. If I dont see one and need fuel then Exxon/Mobil is my 2nd choice however when im at home its Shell.

I use a Gas station outside of the city limits where I live it doesnt have as much of the polution addidtive inside of it you can tell since its not really a green tint like in the city.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
I don't put a lot of stock in the "top tier" designation that you see on anyone's pump. Actually I take the whole argument that one brand of gasoline is all that different from any other with a huge grain of salt. I've watched the local wholesale distributors tanker trucks in my town as they stop at the Chevron station, then go on down to the 76 station, and then over to Costco. I doubt that they carry all those different "brands" of gas in separate little compartments in the tank. To further prop up my argument I know for a fact that there are only two refineries in the Pacific Northwest, both of them up on the north Washington coast. One is a BP/Arco refinery, the other was labeled Texaco the last time I was up there a few years ago. They both pump gasoline into a pipeline that runs down the Puget sound to Oregon and on to Eugene. The jobers pull thier gas from that pipline and fill their storage tanks. These wholesalers are not labeled Chevron or Shell or Arco. They are Harris Oil, Carson Oil, Mark Nelson Oil, etc. They in turn sell gas to the dealers and deliver it by truck. I don't see that there can be any significant difference other than the grade and octane level.
you are correct!..here in new england around the boston area is a tank "farm" where huge storage tanks of gasoline are held..from the highway one can observe truck tankers loading the product,and it's not unusual to observe
a mobile tanker right next to a "independent" tanker "tapping" the exact same gas from the exact same tank...the irony in all of this,is that the various tankers after having "gassed" up at this one storage tank,will then drive to their respective stations to "unload" this gas into underground storage tanks,which may have a "price differential" of sometimes up to,and including 20 cents a gal. difference!..yet the "source " of this fuel all came from the original storage tank at this particular tank "farm"..unbelievable,but true!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I run shell Gasoline 93 octane. If I go on a Trip I time my gas stops to when I see a Shell.
Same here,If I'm on a trip and can't find a Shell station....I'll run Chevron 93.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
To qualify for top tier all three grades must have the required detergents.
Most have detergents in the mid and prem grades but skimp on Reg gas.
So if you use reg 87 you want to use top tier to ensure a clean engine.
My LLT loves every minute of reg gasoline.
never heard of that!..tell me,i am curious,what is the source of your information?..doesn't seem logical to me that regular 87 would be left out at a 'top tier" station!..why would they be essentially "shooting" themselves in the foot by just offering it in mid,or high grade!..i say this because just about "all" cars CAN run on 87 regular!..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
Many of the corvette guys have cleared up fuel guage problems with the toptier gas
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
From z06vette forum poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/poll-768-a.html
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
never heard of that!..tell me,i am curious,what is the source of your information?..doesn't seem logical to me that regular 87 would be left out at a 'top tier" station!..why would they be essentially "shooting" themselves in the foot by just offering it in mid,or high grade!..i say this because just about "all" cars CAN run on 87 regular!..just sayin!
I think you are mis-understanding the other post.

He is saying that at Top Tier stations all grades get the detergents. At most other stations only Premium or Premium & mid-grade get the detergents. Therefore, if you use regular gas it is better to use Top Tier stations.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i use shell,it is a top tier gas and they are located most anywhere.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
To better explain go to Toptiergas.com and read.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
I know the manual calls for 87 octane, but do know that mine runs smoother on 91, the highest we can get in AZ
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote