Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
nitrous results..

hello C5,

well i posted this on another thread but i thought i would post it here as well,

i was able to get my nitrous running last week while struggling to get the software from the progressive controller to work.

i have installed, the nitrous outlet kit 90mm plate system, with bottle heater and purge kit.

it is controlled by the NX maximizer 4 controller..

i have it jetted to 100 shot, .52 for nitrous and .31 for fuel,

today i went to Izzy Performance in Gardena CA which BTW are Awesome there great guys.. and
i ended gaining 61 hp and 105 tq!

the stock pull was 431hp and 416tq.

Izzy, the shop owner said it seemed good, regarding my tune is based on a email tune..

it was tuned my monte06ss from ls1tech.. and from the diablosport fourms..

my question to you guys is why i gain more tq than horsepower? can it be from the tune or from my bolt on setup?

i do have shorty headers paired with catless midpipes. the shop who performed the dyno suggested swapping them to longtubes..

Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
shiznight

Drives: 2010 camaro ss l99
long tubes didnt bring down my tq on a 100 shot, but my spike was from the rail leaning a tad and the pump playing catch up. i'll link my video for ya. i'm also running a zex kit.

first vid is a 125 shot

second video is after long tubes and vvt-1 cam

in both instances i had a huge torque spike but it does platue off a bit after the fuel catches up. our cars being a pushrod motor will always pump out more tq than hp until you go with a massive cam. just how we overhead valve cars work. hope this helps, and if you have any questions, let me know.

TSP vvt-1 cam, Headers-catless xpipe, Knn intake 417/422
Nitrous 100 wet shot 520/585
Racestar super 94 17x4.5/17x9.5
highest trap to date 120.6mph
12.0@spinfest. rage
shiznight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznight View Post
long tubes didnt bring down my tq on a 100 shot, but my spike was from the rail leaning a tad and the pump playing catch up. i'll link my video for ya. i'm also running a zex kit.

first vid is a 125 shot

second video is after long tubes and vvt-1 cam

in both instances i had a huge torque spike but it does platue off a bit after the fuel catches up. our cars being a pushrod motor will always pump out more tq than hp until you go with a massive cam. just how we overhead valve cars work. hope this helps, and if you have any questions, let me know.
your car pulls really strong with that cam! awesome..

so you think I should contact my tuner and revise my tune..? right now the nitrous tune pulls 4 degrees of timing at 3600 rpm..

or should I install a wideband and tune with that?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
your results with torqe will vary depending at where in the rpm range you decide to activate the Nitrous, the lower the rpm the higher the torqe, because Nitrous flows the same rate regardless of engine speed, and because at lower speed there is more time between engine cycles the amount of Nitrous is higher per cylinder at lower speeds. Great results, you can't go wrong with Nitrous Express they make some of the best kits out there. NX normally recommends pulling 1 degree for each 50HP increase. So you should pull at least 2 degrees.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

so I spoke with Brandon at nitrous outlet and he told me it was kind of low on the horsepower side. he recommended me to go to a .28 fuel jet and play with the timing to see where it would make the most power..

he said the target a/f ratio should be around 11.8-12.0

so it seems that the tune might be the issue there.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Bubble85

Drives: 2012 SS
I had basically the same mods as you and I gained a lot more hp with a 100 shot. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was 80-90 I believe
Bubble85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
your results with torqe will vary depending at where in the rpm range you decide to activate the Nitrous, the lower the rpm the higher the torqe, because Nitrous flows the same rate regardless of engine speed, and because at lower speed there is more time between engine cycles the amount of Nitrous is higher per cylinder at lower speeds. Great results, you can't go wrong with Nitrous Express they make some of the best kits out there. NX normally recommends pulling 1 degree for each 50HP increase. So you should pull at least 2 degrees.
Yes generally. But OP stated he has a progressive system. All depends on what starting percentage, ramp rate and reset is programmed.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Some N2O systems are not rated as rwhp, but as flywheel. But regardless, the hp number seems somewhat low. If you can, do a wot pass and read the plugs. A wideband can help, to see how much of a lean spike you get on activation and afr, but ultimately read the plugs.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #9
shiznight

Drives: 2010 camaro ss l99
zex rates at the flywheel, and you having shorties is also hurting you. toss on some longtubes man. they are well worth the 360 for some pacesetters. or obx's. also i spray at 3200 rpms until 6300rpms (auto). your power seems legit considering the jetting chart zex puts up isnt true whp

edit. what you typed vs what i see on the dyno are different. is it a typo?

TSP vvt-1 cam, Headers-catless xpipe, Knn intake 417/422
Nitrous 100 wet shot 520/585
Racestar super 94 17x4.5/17x9.5
highest trap to date 120.6mph
12.0@spinfest. rage
shiznight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Some N2O systems are not rated as rwhp, but as flywheel. But regardless, the hp number seems somewhat low. If you can, do a wot pass and read the plugs. A wideband can help, to see how much of a lean spike you get on activation and afr, but ultimately read the plugs.
yeah i will probably check out the plugs when i get a chance.

i went with 1 step colder NGK BR6EF plugs.

i have the progressive controller setup to receive a wideband connection but i haven't gotten around to install that either.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznight View Post
zex rates at the flywheel, and you having shorties is also hurting you. toss on some longtubes man. they are well worth the 360 for some pacesetters. or obx's. also i spray at 3200 rpms until 6300rpms (auto). your power seems legit considering the jetting chart zex puts up isnt true whp

edit. what you typed vs what i see on the dyno are different. is it a typo?
yah i am starting to think i should look around for a good set of longtubes

at the time i thought well making 431hp and 416tq N/A, on shorties is good but it seems that cars with longtubes carry the power more throughout the rpm range. i bet i'll see more power when the n2o is used.