Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Lombardi

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 1LT
New to FI!

So I've finally decided to start looking into an IPF kit and I've started to look into what I need and what I need to know. I'm new to FI so there I'm excited to learn all I can. I've scrolled through this section and I've read a lot of posts. You guys supply a lot of great information and that's really appreciated. I do have a few questions tho currently if you guys can help me understand.

1. I've noticed the pcv system to be an issue with you guys with stalling and said crankcase pressure and so fourth. I know the IPF kit comes with its own catch can and I currently have a RX performance catch can (the FI model with the one nipple capped off) but after reading I'm thinking I like the quality and setup of the mighty mouse catch cans you guys seem to use. now my question is how do you guys route these catch cans and hook them up? are you running just the one can or 2?

2. I understand rerouting the iat is a good idea. I want to setup the kit so it runs as efficient and safe as possible (I drive my car all the time) so I plan on doing this. Two things I couldn't find were what parts are needed for the relocation and where exactly in the system do you guys relocate it too.

3. I plan to run meth injection for added safety and power. recommend any kits specifically? I'm leaning towards the aem kit but just from what I've read. still more research to go with this.

4. Are there any other concerns with the kit I'm missing that I should know about? I want to make sure I have everything before hand so when I do the install I shouldn't be missing everything. probably going to do the install while the car is garaged for the winter so I can take my time and not want to rush it and get it on the road haha

5. I did have a recent issue. I went to have my car dynoed for the first time and found out the car was running real lean. lean enough they recommended not to run the car on the dyno and do the pulls. I think I remember them saying around 16:1. I have the dyno sheet and you can see all the dips from all the knocking. I'm positive it was do to a poor trifecta tune which I have removed since than. Oh and I only run 93 octane through the car as well. Anyways I haven't had time to go back to the shop but I've seen you guys use apps and what not to monitor your car. what are you guys using and how successful has it been? I'd like to check and make sure my lean problem is fixed now being back to stock or if it could be something else..

6. I have BBK long tube headers with the supplied high flow cats. I understand the high flow cats can be a problem from reading. if i gut the cats will they not be an issue anymore? I need something that at least looks like cats for when I go to emissions.

Any information you guys supply I will greatly appreciate it. once I start ordering the parts I'll be sure to start a new thread and document the entire process!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
Here is what I've learned you can get the sensor and plug from a 2002 camaro IAT it will be about 40 dollars you will tap 2 wires on your 5 map sensor

I am going to be going with snow meth kit

You should also use new spark plugs denso ITV24 2 steps colder my car runs amazing

Also in the older IPF kits people have had stalling issues including my self but u just got there most updated kit on the car and stalling is no longer an issue at all! Everything seems to be holding up amazing.
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Hey man,

I know nutbutt and gutterball should be able to help you Since you're in CT along with J&M Motorsports. That was the dyno day right?

But, do it up and pull the trigger!

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Lombardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM camaro View Post
Here is what I've learned you can get the sensor and plug from a 2002 camaro IAT it will be about 40 dollars you will tap 2 wires on your 5 map sensor

I am going to be going with snow meth kit

You should also use new spark plugs denso ITV24 2 steps colder my car runs amazing

Also in the older IPF kits people have had stalling issues including my self but u just got there most updated kit on the car and stalling is no longer an issue at all! Everything seems to be holding up amazing.
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking for a used kit originally but looks like those are hard to come by so I will be purchasing new so that's good to hear the stalling issues are taken care of!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Lombardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
Hey man,

I know nutbutt and gutterball should be able to help you Since you're in CT along with J&M Motorsports. That was the dyno day right?

But, do it up and pull the trigger!
yessir. that was the dyno day. I've talked to gutterball but I don't know if I've even met nutbutt

Old 08-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
J&M has been installing quite a few of the IPF systems. I have had mine for almost 2 Yrs now and have logged about 32K on the system. I am running the mightymouse catch can with the 1LE seperator on the clean side. The IPF Evac system does work but I feel the mightymouse with the 1LE seperator just a little better. Just perform typical maintainance and this system is rock solid.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
The FAQ contains a lot of information about what you are looking for. For the IAT I am about to test a new setup that should work better but will cost more since it requires mandrel bent pipes, but will not have any chance of leaking.

Majority of the meth kits are the same, if money is no object though look at AIS here on the forum, they have a methanol tank that blends in perfectly in the trunk, looks like it is stock. Others you will have to ghetto rig it.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
If your running 16:1 that's way to lean, you should be just under 12:1. Why don't you give J&M a call and see if they can do a quick tune and bring your Air/fuel ratio down.
You going to the Middletown Car show??
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
P.S.
I also have BBK Headers, with the Hi flo Cats
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
P.S.
I also have BBK Headers, with the Hi flo Cats
I'd remove the cats

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Definatly get rid of the cats, as far as the PCV system, I use 1 Mightymouse can with a vent and a boost valve on the suction side, on the "clean" side you can go with the 1LE separator or what I have done. I still use the IPF can as a safety incase any moistire comes into the system, I cap one of their ports. once you see the kit here is my system... Intake tube before supercharger to IPF can to Passenger side valve cover, drivers side valve cover to mightmouse can with breather, Mightymouse can with check valve to intake ( will allow intake to pull air through the can, under boost will close valve and can will vent back pressure) if more pressure is present it can freely flow back through IPF can with no issues. I even have a mightmouse oil breather that will only vent under pressure, no fresh air incoming as all air should be metered by the MAF. We are all here to help and have all had experience in what is working for our setups. Mine has over 27k miles on it now with routine maintenance and going strong, whipped up on 5.0 last night. Let the permagrin start...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Lombardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
If your running 16:1 that's way to lean, you should be just under 12:1. Why don't you give J&M a call and see if they can do a quick tune and bring your Air/fuel ratio down.
You going to the Middletown Car show??
I won't be going. had a slight accident going to work yesterday with my front lip coming off on the highway. bolts must have worked loose somehow.

and thanks guys. I have plenty of threads marked so I can go back to them later and I'll be using this thread to go over all the info once I get the kit.