Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Babby Cringe

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Vitesse Throttle Controller causing issues?

Had a quick question for you pros over here.

Bit of a backstory here to understand all that's happened to the car. Got a 2012 2LT RS with the LFX engine. It's got a CAI, Flowmaster 10's with resonator delete and I just recently put in a Vitesse Throttle Controller. (The rest of this paragraph is pre-mods to the car) Around 15k miles had the torque clutch converter issue with my transmission. Took her to the dealership I bought it from, got fixed, all dandy. Oil change for 21k miles, driving the car home started getting misfire codes and the engine was driving like shit. Took it back to the dealership, they just said "Yep, misfire codes. Not sure what's wrong, I guess drive it until it breaks." Great advice I must say. Couldn't really afford to leave her at the shop since I had work, never took it back there.

Installed the throttle controller, car starting driving like I wanted it to, was fun. Just the other day the car decided to limp mode while sitting in slow traffic. Turned it off, waited for about a solid minute, back on and back to normal. Today the engine light was flashing for misfire codes and the Stabilitrak said it needed service. Acknowledged the code, Stabilitrak I guess decided it was ok then and drove home the rest of the way. Noticed the car forcibly stuttering when it came to down shifting to first gear when I had to stop at lights/signs. For the past 2 weeks or so the car engine light has been intermittently coming on for misfire codes and then she decides to drive right for a little while, rinse repeat.

Do you think I have a pre-existing issue with my engine and/or transmission that is causing these issues or do you think putting the Throttle Controller on there without a specified tune for it has caused the computer to go ape shit? Any advice is well appreciated here.
Babby Cringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
moE_09

Drives: 2014 v6
I've had the same issue. Once thr stabilitrak light comes on it shudders when downshifting. But it goes away on it's own so I kinda just forget about it. Try not to push it when the engines cold. I try to let it warm up about 10 mins I've never had a problem when I do that. If I don't I always have a problem, I doubt it's the VTC
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Babby Cringe

These troubles have only started since I've been in Texas. We're talking 80/90 degrees out there today and it's sputtering and throwing misfire codes. She never has an issue when cold, nor does start up ever have an issue.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
You might have a broken coil pack. I have replaced 7 in the 4.5 years that I've owned my car. When they "go" they can continue to work, on and off... AMAZON sell them for about $28, the dealer wants $90 each, and an auto parts store will be about $50 each. If you continue to get the misfire on the same cylinder, i would replace that coil pack. Good luck with your car.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Babby Cringe

Appreciate the info Eddie. I'll have to look into that.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Similar problem. I put headers (shorty ARH), Solo HF cats, ported TB, and VTC O on my 1LE over the winter. Drove it for a while WITHOUT the VTC and it was fine. Then I put the VTC on. Second time out I got limp mode and DTC codes 3 times. I can read and reset codes with my Aero Force gauges, so I did each time. Got home and took VTC off the car. Have driven about 300 miles since with no problem.

Not knocking the VTC... LOVE that thing! I am going to disconnect the battery for a couple days. Then put the VTC back on and reprogram it. Hoping that will reset any mapping or funky stuff. Then try using the VTC again. Hope it works and problems don't come back.

Last edited by Kendall421; 03-05-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Unplug the VTC and see if that clears up your issue...

If it does then you know where you stand.

Possess of elimination...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm having troubles too. Just yesterday after changing my oil, I was on my way to work when I pulled into Shop Rite parking lot to get some dinner before work. As I pulled in the car lost power, went into reduced engine output mode and threw a code. So I went into the store, came out and the DTC remained but the car drove normal. I went home to get my scan tool and read the code and discovered it was a code referring to the throttle position. So I cleared it and drove to work. This time it went for about 35 min before the code and reduced engine output returned. So I cleared it again and figured if it sat overnight then it'll fix itself. Wrong, WRONG. Got in the car after a 12 hour shift and drove it 5 minutes and it all came back. So I pulled into a lot and disconnected the VTC. This time I drove and no problems. Now I've had the VTC for weeks now. Used it at the track a few times too. Full bolt-on manual trans SS. So I'm gonna let it sit for a while disconnected and try again. If it fixes itself then fine. If not then I'll be sending mine back.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
For a day and a half and then reinstalled it. And then I reprogrammed it to make sure it was starting over. After it programmed I took it for a long drive and no more problems.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
For a day and a half and then reinstalled it. And then I reprogrammed it to make sure it was starting over. After it programmed I took it for a long drive and no more problems.
As far as the VTC, while I haven't had any issues as of yet, installed in January. It seems that those that have issues find them resolved by recalibrating it. The calibration step is critical. When I installed mine, at first it didn't seem to do what the instructions said it should do. So i unplugged and reinstalled, then it worked as described.

To the OP, if you were having an issue before the VTC, it's probably not the VTC. However, the VTC could be, not sure, amplifying the problem. So I would remove it and find another shop. The code should show clearly which cylinder is misfiring. I too am thinking coil pack, I replaced one on my old STS and a friends old CTS (pre DI engines). His was completely gone and mine was intermittant.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
cpomike13@yahoo.com

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
How do you "recalibrate" the VTC? Same issue after installing. Didn't have it on for a while. Today hooked it back on, at it didn't recalibrate. How do I make it? Hold down both buttons?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
cpomike13@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomike13@yahoo.com View Post
How do you "recalibrate" the VTC? Same issue after installing. Didn't have it on for a while. Today hooked it back on, at it didn't recalibrate. How do I make it? Hold down both buttons?

Yes, when you hold down both buttons, it will count down, then it will be cleared out.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
cpomike13@yahoo.com

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Thanks, before I had the answer, I tried it, it worked well. After recalibration, I turned off the car, and soon the engine code cleared.

cpomike13@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quick update to one of my previous replies on here. I still have the VTC sitting on the shelf in my shop, won't put that back on. Getting the car dyno tuned with my new headers on come spring anyway. But...discovered something this winter that you should be aware of. The plug wires on these cars are junk from the factory. I replaced all of mine this winter with good 8.8mm silicon wires.
I have shorty headers now and they are wrapped. I have heat sleeves over the wires too! But when I took the wires out of the heat sleeves I found 2 that had become brittle and CRACKED...one clean through and the spark had been jumping across the gap in the wire!
I was changing the wires because I had several misfire codes in the fall. Now I know why.

Just something to check on your cars.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote