Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Tune = no more powertrain warranty? Is this definitive?

I've been out of the scene for a while.

In the 90s I recall people doing significant mods and still getting warranty service.

The tone sounds very different. The verbage I'm hearing universally, though, is that they take ECU mods very seriously.

What is the definite skinny/word on this?

Thanks,
Matt
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
the black and white of it is how "in" you are with your Dealership. . .

Some say no, some say yes. . there's no correct answer.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
the black and white of it is how "in" you are with your Dealership. . .

Some say no, some say yes. . there's no correct answer.
I'm not sure how true that is...I know for a fact that for a Duramax truck, any drivetrain warranty work must be preceded by a screen capture of the calibration #s from the tech II (showing vehicle vin#) before GM will approve the warranty. And, my buddy (service manager @ local dealer) says the newer vehicles use some kind of global diagnostic software/scanner that is online, so GM is automatically linked to the car/ecm. They've basically taken it out of the hands of the dealers...and you can bet your butt that if GM cares about the tune on some farmer's diesel truck, they're gonna care about the tune on that your new SS Camaro!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
They have to prove that your claim was in relation to your "upgrade/tune" in order to deny warranty.
They can't say that your tire went flat because of a tune or upgrade. On the other hand, if you show up with a major misfire and you have a tune, I can see them rejecting your warranty on THAT issue.
Also, there are products out there that state that their product "won't interfere with your warranty". The small print says - "if you don't install it". Figure that out. IT isn't unlawful to sell a product, but if you install or use it, you are liable. Always read fine print.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
They have to prove that your claim was in relation to your "upgrade/tune" in order to deny warranty.
They can't say that your tire went flat because of a tune or upgrade. On the other hand, if you show up with a major misfire and you have a tune, I can see them rejecting your warranty on THAT issue.
Also, there are products out there that state that their product "won't interfere with your warranty". The small print says - "if you don't install it". Figure that out. IT isn't unlawful to sell a product, but if you install or use it, you are liable. Always read fine print.
I was wondering on their general disposition/inclination.

I wasn't talking stuff like misfires; but stuff like driveshaft snapping : "Oh, you took out torque management that protects against that", or oil leakage: "Your headers raised the temperature".

Posts sound pretty hard and fast that tune voids drivetrain warranty. This interests me as a 5 year drivetrain warranty is a pretty valuable thing.
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Tune or any transmission tuning voids drive train warranty. Pretty Simple.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
I was wondering on their general disposition/inclination.

I wasn't talking stuff like misfires; but stuff like driveshaft snapping : "Oh, you took out torque management that protects against that", or oil leakage: "Your headers raised the temperature".

Posts sound pretty hard and fast that tune voids drivetrain warranty. This interests me as a 5 year drivetrain warranty is a pretty valuable thing.
They have to prove that your drive shaft broke due to a custom tune. If it had a problem with a weld or the bolts worked themselves out, I would say they would warranty it. They won't check your car for a tune if a shaft goes if they don't know of your upgrade.
I'm sure if you lower, change axles, put slicks on, then yea -- they could say because it isn't from the factory that way, your upgrade broke the factory assembly because it wasn't meant to run as that combo.
Regarding a tune, if you have a component failure in the ECU management ie. sensor, iac count, etc and that caused your converter to melt down, the powertrain warranty WILL NOT cover that. Otherwise, if your trans. broke or rear end let go, etc. they have to prove that your upgrade caused the damage. Just because you install a hurst shifter and your output shaft broke, I can't see them saying that your shifter caused the break. It could be a defect in the trans that caused it to let go. We've heard of the trans issue.
As a GM tech, we never check for tunes if we don't suspect it. Most techs don't know the difference in diagnostics with the scanner to put it together to say hey, he has a tune so lets not warranty something.
I think that if you have something in the open for us to see like an adjustable programmer on your dash, than yea, it will not be easy for you to keep your coverage. Even then, you can't loose your FULL coverage due to an upgrade. Only if the upgrade caused the failure it won't be warrantied on THAT item only.
Sorry for the long explanation.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
MikeW
Bowtie Brotherhood

Drives: 04 Blazer ZR2, 2010 2SS/RS
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
There is a bulliten out from Jay D. that snapshots of all transmission and ECMs need to be taken before any drivetrain issue is looked at. If non GM tune or transmission change exist drivetrain warranty is voided.

I can't find it but it is posted on this site and Jay is pretty high up in GM engineering stuff, he is the guy that sent the techs to work on #230. GM is not going to warranty changes to the engine/drivetrain when their programs are changed.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Agreed, but they have a hard time telling customers that the axle snapped due to tune. They HAVE TO PROVE IT. Yes GM is on top of that stuff now but again there has to be proof. Ultimately GM makes the decision. Yes ecu or trans tune probably would void warranty to anything it controls, but mechanically probably not. Trans. cases could crack due to defective case which is not computer controlled.Thats what im trying to say I think. Hard to type what I mean. Too much concentration.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
This is a mis conception... They can void it, and YOU have to prove it didn't do any harm.

There's guys on the SRT-4 board that got their warranty revoked because of a damn Blow off Valve.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Black and white, bottom line... If you want your warranty to stay intact, do not tune your car!!! Simple as that!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
There is a bulliten out from Jay D. that snapshots of all transmission and ECMs need to be taken before any drivetrain issue is looked at. If non GM tune or transmission change exist drivetrain warranty is voided.

I can't find it but it is posted on this site and Jay is pretty high up in GM engineering stuff, he is the guy that sent the techs to work on #230. GM is not going to warranty changes to the engine/drivetrain when their programs are changed.

Thanks for the info ~ I haven't been out here for a while and had no idea!
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Here is the "non-GM calibration" bulletin for gas engines...I'm sure they've updated this for the '10 models, but this will give you an idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033 is currently available in SI.

Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L,
3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L
Gas Powered Engines Only

Models: 2006–2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2006–2009 HUMMER H2, H3
Excluding Pontiac Vibe, G8, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

1. Go to TIS2WEB
2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"
3. Enter VIN
4. Select "Get Cal ID"
5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"
6. Select "Next"
7. Select "Complete History"
8. Print
9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®
10. Plug in the Tech 2®
11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle
12. Select "Powertrain"
13. Select "Engine"
14. *Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM"
15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2 do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case — a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R. BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.