Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
IROC'D
Momma's Happy....

Drives: 2SS,M6,Summit White, gray int
Y chromosome / manual transmission

I have read on several threads men talking about not letting their wives/girlfriends drive their Camaros because it is a stick. Or that they bought the M6 just so she couldn’t drive it. My first manual transmission was an ’85 Z28 that my dad taught me to drive. I think every woman should know how to drive one. I plan on teaching my daughter this summer with my SS.
But my question is why do you think having that extra appendage makes a man a better at driving a manual?

2010 2SS Ordered 7/20/09
Delivered 10/1/2009!!!!!
IROC'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
ha, that's a silly question. My sister drove a manual jeep wrangler for 10 years... As far as I know, she only stalled it when she was first learning to drive.

My fiancee can ride a motorcycle, and I'll be teaching her how to drive my MT Camaro once I get it.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Because.

Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I push the clutch with mine
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about teaching my Fiance on my M6 and a quite a few people ringed in that I was insane to let a woman drive my manual. I thought the comments and arguements were quite silly. She's learning very well. Yes she had never driven a manual before, but we all need to learn sometime.

Maybe its the whole "muscle" aspect of macho bs syndrom. I do find it humorous though that people with syndrom stay away from "strong" women. My girl is smart, beautiful and strong. She could kick the sh*t out of most of the guys she comes across. And I like that
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
i've read that women drive sticks better than men

wait which stick are we talkin about here?

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I tried to teach my wife in my '06 GTO in the driveway. On her first attempt she dumped the clutch and left 2 black marks 30 feet long and barely got stopped in front of the garage. Second attempt was about the same result. That was enough for her. If she wants to try in the Camaro I'd probably give it a whirl, but she seems satisfied with her Avalanche. Works for me.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
IROC'D
Momma's Happy....

Drives: 2SS,M6,Summit White, gray int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about teaching my Fiance on my M6 and a quite a few people ringed in that I was insane to let a woman drive my manual. I thought the comments and arguements were quite silly. She's learning very well. Yes she had never driven a manual before, but we all need to learn sometime.

Maybe its the whole "muscle" aspect of macho bs syndrom. I do find it humorous though that people with syndrom stay away from "strong" women. My girl is smart, beautiful and strong. She could kick the sh*t out of most of the guys she comes across. And I like that
Hawkeye, she a lucky lady.

2010 2SS Ordered 7/20/09
Delivered 10/1/2009!!!!!
IROC'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
I tried to teach my wife in my '06 GTO in the driveway. On her first attempt she dumped the clutch and left 2 black marks 30 feet long and barely got stopped in front of the garage. Second attempt was about the same result. That was enough for her. If she wants to try in the Camaro I'd probably give it a whirl, but she seems satisfied with her Avalanche. Works for me.

Wait a minute, you were teaching her to drive a manual transmission with the car facing your garage? That sounds pretty risky. All the people I've taught over the years only get the privilege of driving my car in an abandoned parking lot.

In high school, I taught this exchange student from Spain. She caught on quicker than I did and made it to 3rd gear on her FIRST attempt. Of course, she then hit the end of the parking lot and had to slam on the brakes, but still!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC'D View Post
Hawkeye, she a lucky lady.
Thanks, but I'm the lucky one
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I think it's less about men and more about women. Most women don't want to be bothered to learn. For me a girl who rows her own boat is ten times hotter than one that can't. I don't like to let people drive my cars but buying a stick has nothing to do with that. I agree though that some people are just a bunch of ... well "appendages".

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Well said...
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Wait a minute, you were teaching her to drive a manual transmission with the car facing your garage? That sounds pretty risky. All the people I've taught over the years only get the privilege of driving my car in an abandoned parking lot.

In high school, I taught this exchange student from Spain. She caught on quicker than I did and made it to 3rd gear on her FIRST attempt. Of course, she then hit the end of the parking lot and had to slam on the brakes, but still!
My driveway is almost 100 feet long. I probably should have started her out at the other end. At least the garage door was open, so she had another 24 feet to go.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
formuladan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Women driving cars with manual transmissions? Impossible. Next, you'll want the right to vote. As Buford T. Justice would say "What the hell is the world coming to!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just playin'

Everyone should know how to drive a manual trans.