Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #43
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Gonna have to buy Adam's. Junkman, what do you recommend? I'll polish if you tell me to. But I just want the car to look clean, and would like to avoid dropping $250 on a PC
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #44
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
As I recall, when I purchased the Porter Cable it was just around $120. Search Amazon, that's where I ordered mine from.

As for what to buy from Adam's? You're going to be spending a few bucks as you need clay bar, detail spray, pads, polish, wax, towels, and grit guards. You may think you can save a few $$$ and just get a few things but, honestly, to do the job right, you need it all. The Junkman's kit is probably the way to go since it has everything for one price.

Here is a list of stuff you'll need to do it right.

1 claybar
2 buckets and at least 1 of those buckets with a grit guard (rinse bucket)
1 PC
2 Wash mitts (1 for top part of car, 1 for the bottom, dirtiest part of the car)
1 set of 7.5" pads
1 set of 4" focus pads
1 bottle of Swirl and Haze Remover (SHR)
1 bottle of Fine Machine Polish (FMP)
1 bottle of Machine Super Wax (MSW)
5 gallon car shampoo (seems excessive but, you'll use it)
5 gallon detail spray (seems excessive but, you'll use it)
1 bottle of All Purpose Cleaner (works great on your wheels and for cleaning pads)
2 Great White Drying Towels
2 Double Soft Towels

all of the above is what it takes to do the job and do it right... well, all you need that you have to buy. You still need the knowledge of how to use it and that you can get from watching the Junkman's videos. Order the stuff up and while you're waiting, watch the videos.

There's a few things you can get as optional add-ons that will help you out. You can pick up a leaf blower if you don't already have one. Helps dry the car off in a quick way that won't damage your finish. The less you touch the finish the better. You can also pick up a foam gun. I actually use the ortho mixer. It's cheap and gets the job done. Search the forums for more info on that. I also suggest getting Adam's Americana Carnuba Wax. After using the MSW and letting it cure, you can add an Americana application to really kick it up a notch. These few things aren't a necessity but, they do help a lot.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. Opinions may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Gonna have to buy Adam's. Junkman, what do you recommend? I'll polish if you tell me to. But I just want the car to look clean, and would like to avoid dropping $250 on a PC
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
First, about my kit. It consists of two kits. There's the wash side and the paint side (that's why it is called the Total Paint Correction Kit). The paint side has everything necessary to fix and maintain your kit. There are NO frills on this side of the kit. EVERYTHING that comes with that side is necessary, including the amount of product you receive. If you want to do it like I do it, you must have what I use. The wash side of the kit has the two Grit Guard buckets. They are really nice buckets but you could use some Wal-Mart buckets as long as the Grit Guards fit the buckets perfectly.

One thing to note. The foam gun is not included with my kit but it is the most important part of your wash routine. It is not optional. You can get them at Autogeek.net, Amazon or on eBay. You must add that to your purchase.

Another thing to note. This is a one time purchase. You don't spend this type of money every month, couple of months or yearly buying this stuff over and over. You buy the kit, repair your paint, and NEVER do the things that you did which caused your paint to look like it does now. That's why my kit also come with a wash kit.

The wash kit is going to be the number one reason that you won't have to constantly repair your paint. If you wash the car correctly, your paint will remain pristine once you correct it and not have that dull, lifeless look to it. It will constantly look like you have just worked on it, just as my paint does.

Don't underestimate the task at hand. Getting your paint to that pristine look will take some work. Keeping it that way involves a little work too but no where near the initial investment of blood, sweat and tears. That will also be true with the products you will need to maintain your paint. The initial cost is high, but afterward the cost will be rather minimal depending on which product you fall in love with. This is an investment in your car. If you plan to sell it one day, the appearance of the car will speak volumes despite its actual condition.

I don't know where you are located but if you are anywhere close to me, you can come over to my garage and use every product that Adam's sells before you buy them. I can also show you exactly what your paint will look like once you do the entire routine to your car before you spend a dime. You will know what the results will so that there is no question as to if the purchase is worth the money or not. Nothing like seeing into the future. Hindsight is always 20/20.

That offer goes for anyone on this forum. Then when you go to place you first and future orders, you can use the discount code in my signature and save even more money.

So let me know what you would like to do and how I can help. I'm all ears.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #46
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
[QUOTE=WhiteCrane;2475080]Gonna have to buy Adam's. Junkman, what do you recommend? I'll polish if you tell me to. But I just want the car to look clean, and would like to avoid dropping $250 on a PC[/QUOTE

I am the owner of a Black Camaro as well....and yes it is a total bitch to keep looking good.
I have owned black cars in the past so I knew what I was getting into

To own a black car,if you care what it looks like,you almost have to be anal.

To give you an example,when I ordered my car I instructed the dealer not to touch it at all when it came off the truck.It even had the white cling tape still on it,the door guards and the plastic on the seats.
No new car prep for me,no way....If it wasn't black fine.

I knew the lot boys would have scratched it during the first wash of its life,and dried it with dirty,scratchy towels.
It had a ton af rail dust and dirt that had to be carefully removed.

To add to Junkmans suggestions of only using quaility products,the most important aspect to keeping a black car scratch free is the drying procedure.

Once your car is corrected per Juckmans recommedations and brought back to as delivered conditions it is extremely difficult to keep it that way while drying.

I suggest after using a high quality micro towel,a big one(wet it first and wring out) to wipe the initial water off the car.
Then invest in a large natural leather shamois...not Wal Mart. to remove the rest or the water.

You must continually dunk the shamois in a bucket of water and wring out to avoid scratches.

You don't nessarally have to spend big bucks to keep a black car nice,just be careful.

I use Maquires NXT paste wax because it takes very little pressure to remove and alot of pressure equals scratches.Water beads up for a very long time.

So...black car means being super careful,a bit anal and alot of effort.

In the end it is worth it.
People ask me all the time"Is your paint factory" and I say kinda
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #47
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Now I differ on your opinion of the chamois. I also work under the logical approach to paint care which is, "The less you touch it, the less opportunity there is for your to damage it." Because of this thinking, I use an electric leaf blower to dry my car. No touch, no scratch.

I also do it that way because I'm kinda lazy.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #48
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Lazy is not a bad thing Junkman... Otherwise, how else would we have something like a remote control??? Making our lives easier is a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Now I differ on your opinion of the chamois. I also work under the logical approach to paint care which is, "The less you touch it, the less opportunity there is for your to damage it." Because of this thinking, I use an electric leaf blower to dry my car. No touch, no scratch.

I also do it that way because I'm kinda lazy.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #49
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
Lazy is not a bad thing Junkman... Otherwise, how else would we have something like a remote control??? Making our lives easier is a good thing
That's what I thought kids were for when I was growing up. At least that's what my parents used us for!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #50
WhiteCrane

I can't drop $500 on a kit. It's very nice of you to offer to let me see the products before buying them. I think I'm gonna let the car stay as it is, and just wash frequently. Truthfuly, i dont want my car to shine, i just want it to look clean. Not have lime stains from rain and water spots.

What if I just buy Adam's shampoo, clay, and Americana paste wax? Will that stop water spotting? Swirl marks do not bother me!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #51
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
I can't drop $500 on a kit. It's very nice of you to offer to let me see the products before buying them. I think I'm gonna let the car stay as it is, and just wash frequently. Truthfuly, i dont want my car to shine, i just want it to look clean. Not have lime stains from rain and water spots.

What if I just buy Adam's shampoo, clay, and Americana paste wax? Will that stop water spotting? Swirl marks do not bother me!
I see your still having some troubles. :(

This product I'm linking, Wolfgang paint polish, is $20, removes old built up wax and has fillers for the swirls. You should wash, clay, THEN use this product and top it off with the wax of your choice.

Inexpensive, not labor intensive, can be applied by hand or machine, and will clean your car up, and a good prep for wax! Hope that helps.

http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #52
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I see your still having some troubles. :(

This product I'm linking, Wolfgang paint polish, is $20, removes old built up wax and has fillers for the swirls. You should wash, clay, THEN use this product and top it off with the wax of your choice.

Inexpensive, not labor intensive, can be applied by hand or machine, and will clean your car up, and a good prep for wax! Hope that helps.

http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html
He's not happy with his OTC experiences so he's going in a different direction.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #53
WhiteCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
He's not happy with his OTC experiences so he's going in a different direction.
understood. Looks like its $500 all out paint kit or nothin.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #54
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Luckily, it's just a 1 time purchase. Once you fix your paint, you only have to maintain.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #55
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
You won't regret it. Most of that stuff will last you a very long time. It's just detail spray and APC that you will be placing monthly orders for, unless you get the gallons.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #56
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
I'm all for spending hundreds of dollars on detail products, but I'm also always game for trying new things. I have a bit of a problem with the idea that all over the counter products are worthless. That's just NOT the case. I am NOT devoted to any line of products, and I agree there is ALOT of garbage out there, but there are also many excellent products available at your auto parts or Walmart store.

Currently, FOR THE CAMARO, I have found that Meguiar's 205 polish is far superior to Adam's swirl and haze remover. I have spent hundreds trying many different product lines and I gotta say, the 205 is THE BEST swirl remover, regardless of price. If I have a scratch, I go with Meguiar's #105, then #205, then I top it off with either NXT 2.0 or Meguiar's high tech yellow #26 wax.

For me, I've found that the Adam's DETAIL SPRAY, Waterless wash towels, and small Wash Mitt are the BEST products of their kind, regarless of price, and I won't switch to anything else unless I find something better.

My point is... you don't have to stay with every product within a line. Some will work for you, and others will not. Don't just do what everybody else does. There's no need to spend $500 to get started. Get yourself a PC polisher for $200 and then get a few polishes and pads to start trying things out.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote