Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
There was a shipping hold that started the 1st week of May and is still in progress on the 2012 Mustangs. I never heard why it happened just that there was an inspection. Here is the Customer Service post http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...6/#post6069467

The GT500's and the Boss 302's went out in March/April and then everything was halted. 6,607 isn't bad for not shipping.

Good for GM, they need decent sales. As long as they can keep it up...

The Mustang V8 ratio to V6 ratio is exactly opposite of the Camaro's. 66% of Mustang's are 5.0's, 5.5% were GT500 and 6.4% were Boss 302's. I feel comfortable knowing there are over 75% of Mustang's out there with V8's.

Edit: If the 5th Gen Camaro can make a 10 year production run (highly doubtful) it will never sale as many 5th Gens as there were S197. Never, ever... At this rate, it would take a total of 16 model years to catch the S197 if it ended production today

It's all down hill from here...

Last edited by thePill; 06-02-2011 at 08:55 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
There was a shipping hold that started the 1st week of May and is still in progress on the 2012 Mustangs. I never heard why it happened just that there was an inspection. Here is the Customer Service post http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...6/#post6069467

The GT500's and the Boss 302's went out in March/April and then everything was halted. 6,607 isn't bad for not shipping.

The Mustang V8 ratio to V6 ratio is exactly opposite of the Camaro's. 66% of Mustang's are 5.0's, 5.5% were GT500 and 6.4% were Boss 302's. I feel comfortable knowing there are over 75% of Mustang's out there with V8's.
The ratio was similar for the 2010 Camaros with the majority being the V8. But I can see why the V8 would sell more than the V6 for awhile in the case of the mustang. You're not buying it for looks, so you have to compensate somehow

I kid.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
The ratio was similar for the 2010 Camaros with the majority being the V8. But I can see why the V8 would sell more than the V6 for awhile in the case of the mustang. You're not buying it for looks, so you have to compensate somehow

I kid.
I know, its a performance car. That is mainly the reason people are buying it. This car is 8 years old, people purchased the car in 2004-2006 because is looked good. It turned heads, it was the best selling car in the US and nothing could touch it. Then, everyone had one, sales went down. I am amazed that the performance nuts are buying these things at the rate they are. The 2013 will lift sales some but the new 2014 will be a hot seller and roles will be reversed again.... I don't expect the old Mustang to outsale the Camaro month over month. They are only going to sell what they produce a month at a 5000-7000 unit capacity.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:

I kid.
LOL

Pill....and it's uphill for current Mustang? don't think so. wait until ZL1 adds to the mix. Camaro owns until a real Mustang redesign, and game begins all over. yippee for us, the enthusiast!
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
As cab2g points out, the ratio was flipped in favor of the V8 for the first 15 months of production. The 5L was released 12 months ago. Interesting to see if the V6 starts to take the sales lead in the Ford. I agree with thePill, feel comfortable knowing 75% of female drivers buying the Mustang are choosing the V8

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Quote:
I I don't expect the old Mustang to outsale the Camaro month over month. They are only going to sell what they produce a month at a 5000-7000 unit capacity.
I'm sorry, such a line of crap..."they are only going to sell what they produce".
You have that backwards, Ford will produce what they can sell, remember they dropped a shift because they couldn't sell what they we're producing. This ain't no speciality car.
Reminds me of the old cars labeled "Limited Editon"...yeah, limited only by what they can sell...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
LOL

Pill....and it's uphill for current Mustang? don't think so. wait until ZL1 adds to the mix. Camaro owns until a real Mustang redesign, and game begins all over. yippee for us, the enthusiast!
The ZL1 will account for about 5-6% of total production which will be taken from the standard coupes production numbers. This is the same thing for the GT500 and the Mustang's standard coupe. You won't see a sales increase from a limited edition Camaro. It will draw people onto the lots only to settle for something they can afford, the whole purpose of a halo car. The S197 will continue to struggle until the redesign, if Ford sales what they produce then they could dip as low as Chally sales and still make profit. GM decided to over produce the Camaro in 2009 and that ended up coming back to bite them after a 16 month MY and the intro of the 2011's. This is the most difficult time for a model is at the very end, trying to match sales to production, just right not to over produce and not to much to choke sales.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandFifthGen View Post
I'm sorry, such a line of crap..."they are only going to sell what they produce".
You have that backwards, Ford will produce what they can sell, remember they dropped a shift because they couldn't sell what they we're producing. This ain't no speciality car.
Reminds me of the old cars labeled "Limited Editon"...yeah, limited only by what they can sell...
Ford dropped a shift because there is no demand for a car that has sold 600,000+ cars. It would be nonsense to keep producing when they know a sales slump is coming. Ford produced 76k Mustangs last year and sold 73k at the years end. With only 3k cars left over, that is dead on accurate. Now, compare that to GM's production vs. sales and see where they went wrong...

You do know that this is the natural way of things right? If the Camaro came out in 2004 then it may have been different. But, S197 vs. 5th Gen when it is all said and done, won't be very impressive. The 5th Gen Camaro has just surpassed the S197's first MY in sales in almost 3 years of production. The first three MY's are the best selling, without a doubt... The next three years for the 5th Gen will not mirror its first three years... and, there is a new Mustang coming out and that won't help.

Last edited by thePill; 06-02-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #23
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Camaro sales are stronger than ever. Very impressive. It's interesting to see how well IBM is doing. Lots more sold than I can remember.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:

I kid.
LOL, I bought mine because it didn't look like it weighed 4000lbs.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #25
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
The trend continues!
amazing that Victory Red is behind 6 other colors.
Nice to see the V6s selling!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Where are the comments about CAMARO getting old?...

WAY TO GO CHEVY AND GM!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandFifthGen View Post
Don't worry, we'll get our regular monthly thesis on why these numbers really aren't right and why Mustang will kick our @$$...next time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
LOL Mustang simply CANT compare to the Camaro looks wise especially. It's not hard to figure out why the Camaro keeps outselling it and will continue to keep outselling it.

Expect the usual Mustang people to make another excuse lol.

Thumbs up to Chevrolet & GM once again on another GREAT month in sales for the Camaro!

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE..................

Quote:

Edit: If the 5th Gen Camaro can make a 10 year production run (highly doubtful) it will never sale as many 5th Gens as there were S197. Never, ever... At this rate, it would take a total of 16 model years to catch the S197 if it ended production today

It's all down hill from here...
Quote:
I know, its a performance car. That is mainly the reason people are buying it. This car is 8 years old, people purchased the car in 2004-2006 because is looked good. It turned heads, it was the best selling car in the US and nothing could touch it. Then, everyone had one, sales went down. I am amazed that the performance nuts are buying these things at the rate they are. The 2013 will lift sales some but the new 2014 will be a hot seller and roles will be reversed again.... I don't expect the old Mustang to outsale the Camaro month over month. They are only going to sell what they produce a month at a 5000-7000 unit capacity.
Quote:
The ZL1 will account for about 5-6% of total production which will be taken from the standard coupes production numbers. This is the same thing for the GT500 and the Mustang's standard coupe. You won't see a sales increase from a limited edition Camaro. It will draw people onto the lots only to settle for something they can afford, the whole purpose of a halo car. The S197 will continue to struggle until the redesign, if Ford sales what they produce then they could dip as low as Chally sales and still make profit. GM decided to over produce the Camaro in 2009 and that ended up coming back to bite them after a 16 month MY and the intro of the 2011's. This is the most difficult time for a model is at the very end, trying to match sales to production, just right not to over produce and not to much to choke sales.
Quote:
Ford dropped a shift because there is no demand for a car that has sold 600,000+ cars. It would be nonsense to keep producing when they know a sales slump is coming. Ford produced 76k Mustangs last year and sold 73k at the years end. With only 3k cars left over, that is dead on accurate. Now, compare that to GM's production vs. sales and see where they went wrong...

You do know that this is the natural way of things right? If the Camaro came out in 2004 then it may have been different. But, S197 vs. 5th Gen when it is all said and done, won't be very impressive. The 5th Gen Camaro has just surpassed the S197's first MY in sales in almost 3 years of production. The first three MY's are the best selling, without a doubt... The next three years for the 5th Gen will not mirror its first three years... and, there is a new Mustang coming out and that won't help.
Quote:
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE..................
It took longer than I thought...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
You are probably right on the %, but it won't come from coupe volume. Anything you see would simply be a fresh model generating sales from many sources, coupe buyers, Z06 buyers, GT500 buyers. Some of the volume will be plus sales in the 3rd model year of the Camaro. They will likely not be at max production capacity. Now if they were, you would be correct.

Quote:

But why then with the same level of mid-cycle redo of the Fusion are the Fusion numbers higher? Just because the basic car has been around for as many years as you indicate isn't the reason. The car got a major exterior and interior freshening for 2010 (discussed at length) and all new engines and transmissions (V6 and V8) for 2011. I'm pretty sure Ford didn't spend that money just to lose sales..................unless you are suggesting the Mustang is SO inferior they did that to simply keep the Mustang from selling worse than the Challenger.

Quote:
Funny, but I think the Camaro looks like it weighs just about 3850 pounds.