Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #43
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
OMG so did I ! the 27 year olds are doomed!

lol

I have two heroes: Jimmy Clark, and Bruce Lee, both of them died at 32 years old, under unexplained circumstances.

When I was 32 I had to be rushed to the hospital to have emergency life saving surgery.

That was weird.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #44
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
My girlfriends 2012 civic had to have the info screen replaced when the car was brand new. No problems with my camaro.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #45
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You're safe, Camaros are not a American Car, they are Canadian Built, developed in Austrailia, by a Korean designer.
Not to mention... engines built in Mexico.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #46
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
Honda , Camaro, patato, cumquat..... do the research, and check for yourself.
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #47
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
no offense taken< I know idiots that are like the south park episode that think their farts do not stink because they drive a hybrid...in line with Honda owners.......LOL just a thing from like when American car companies did not want to make little cars like well ever Seen a ancient honda civic.................ROFL Yes kids they were there in the gas crisis when I was actually young in the early 70's And wow the balls of some people to think that America has not come a long way...Hey guess what the most popular selling car in the the world is? The ford focus.......
I belong to a site that tracks the repairs through surveying of new car owners that emails me to respond to them as others online were asked to do either here or on modern Camaro. And guess what we are more reliable that a whole boat load of other cars to include mustangs and challengers......

Here from JD POWER something to think about for the FIRST CAR TO EVER GET A 5 STAR SAFETY RATING WITH THE NEW TOUGHER STANDARDS IN EVERY CATAGORY.

Top Rated Cars - 2013 Vehicle Dependability Study
Share Facebook Twitter

Top Rated Vehicles by Body Style

Top Rated Compact Cars

2010 Toyota Prius

award winner

2010 Ford Focus

2010 Mazda MAZDA3

Top Rated Compact Premium Sporty Cars

2010 Nissan Z

award winner

2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe

2010 Volvo C70

Top Rated Compact Sporty Cars

2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata

award winner

2010 MINI Cooper

2010 Scion tC

Top Rated Entry Premium Cars

2010 Lexus ES 350

award winner

2010 LINCOLN MKZ

2010 CADILLAC CTS

Top Rated Large Cars

2010 Buick Lucerne

award winner

2010 Toyota Avalon

2010 Chevrolet Impala

Top Rated Midsize Cars

2010 Hyundai Sonata

award winner

2010 Ford Fusion

2010 Buick LaCrosse

Top Rated Midsize Premium Cars

2010 Audi A6

award winner

2010 Volvo S80

2010 Lexus GS 350/GS 460

Top Rated Midsize Sporty Cars

2010 Chevrolet Camaro

award winner

2010 Ford Mustang

Top Rated Sub Compact Cars

2010 Scion xD

award winner

2010 Toyota Yaris

2010 Hyundai Accent

Top Rated Compact Multi Purpose Vehicles

2010 Scion xB

award winner

2010 Chevrolet HHR

2010 Kia Soul

AND IT WAS NOT THE STANG GETTING AWARD......... HEY WHERES HONDA? And no JD power is not the site I give my survey too...........
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #48
Hentz

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1LS
2014 Camaro 1LS Manual - Owned for 1 week. 300 miles so far and no problems so far.
Hentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #49
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
A lot of Toyota on that list. Have good reliable car story, wifes dad has been buying Lexus LS 400 since they started making them. I thingkfirst one was just Lexus or Lexus LS not sure but he gave it to his brother inlaw when it was 5 years old. Car madeit to 15 years old. It had not a drop of rust and original paint still looked good and had 420,000 miles on it. still drove great ran great no major repairs other then brakes one alternator he finally retired it because it failed inspection needed a upper a arm and the place he took it to wanted 2300 bucks to fix it he wasn't going to put that kinda money into it wish i had known i could fixed it just see how long it would keep going
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #50
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I love my camaro..great cat..but the build quality of my honda is simply better..paint as well as the fit/ finish. I love driving my camaro but the honda is very well built. Im just not a fan of small cars.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #51
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
No offense, but I've had three Honda cars, every one of them was in the shop more than ANY American or Japanese car I've ever owned.. Perhaps I've just gotten he bad one each time, but I don't think so. I know of folks that have had "reliable" Hondas, I just don't think it's the norm and to be expected. A car with 70k is not reliable, these days a car should be able to easily turn 6 digits+ with minimal service

Awesome reliable Hondas I've owned
Blown head gasket on a mid 70's CVCC Civic at 60k miles that destroyed the engine. Awesome car, loved it dearly and paid $1,800 (more than I paid for the car) to rebuild the engine. Within a few months it lost a couple of valves. The Honda dealer trained mechanic at the time told me I should sell the car, I didn't listen.

Blown head gasket on a mid 80's Accord at 75k miles that also destroyed the engine. The dealer's service writer told me it's quite common (gee, it happened to me a few YEARS earlier, you'd think I'd learn)

The final straw was a 2006 Civic Hybrid that was in the shop many times for ridiculous issues I've never seen on ANY car. Brake backing plates that worked loose (3 times) a bad alignment from the factory that ate a tire within 10k miles then finally a failed transmission at 100k!! All highway miles, perfect "by the book" maintenance (complete with multiple trans flushes with $15/qt trans fluid) and this was a "high quality" car built in Japan, not Ohio. Luckily we had the extended protection, they can't repair the CVT and the trans would have cost us $7800 out of pocket.. The day we picked the car up from the repair, we drove it right over to the Mazda dealer and bought a Mazda 3 sport. The only plus was that there are still people that believe the Honda mythology so the resale wasn't horrible..

Horrible & crappy American cars I've owned
88 Chevy Beretta - 249k miles coils, steering rack ass'y, heater core and a fuel injector. Other than that, just normal maintenance items (tires, fluids, filters, shocks brakes etc).. It's still on the road today.

94 Camaro - 198k miles exhaust, fuel pump, rear thrust adjustment. Other than that, just normal maint

2002 Suburban - 176k miles AC compressor and normal maint.

NONE of my American cars has had issues requiring a dealer visit before 100k.
You bought a hybrid, that was the mistake
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #52
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
That's like asking someone how long they will live before they might get sick.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #53
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMatey View Post
just from personal exprience. my dad has owned chevy,doge,ford trucks which gave him problems, mom owns a ford explorer which engine died had to get new engine at 90k miles.

doesnt mean american cars im bad but just saying from what ive seen from my own eyes they arent that reliable. but im probably getting a camaro just because i love them.
I'm kinda curious what years these were where you guys had these problems. Something to consider is that the American car manufacturers had quite an eye opening experience in 2009-2010, and it really shows. The 2007 Town and Country that my family drives is the most terrible piece of junk that we've ever owned - it's literally falling apart. The cars later than that however are much better. If you follow the news, Chevrolet and Ford are constantly getting winning marks for making better cars, and it really shows if you look at the designs and pride they are building into the cars now as opposed to 5 years ago.

I have no doubt that with reasonable maintenance, my Camaro would last well into the 6-figure mileage range, and frankly right now I'm looking for a V8 upgrade in the next year or so that I plan on keeping for the rest of my life, and based off my Camaro I have no doubt that is possible with the current finesse and quality built into cars by American manufacturers.

If you're looking for "year/mileage/problems with camaros." though, you might have a hard time finding it. As I pointed out and others have alluded to as well, American manufacturers are much different than they were 5 years ago. 5 years ago also marks when the current Camaro came out, and really 5 years is not a lot of time for a car. There are those who have posted in this topic that have over 100k miles, and I believe them, but I'd be surprised if most of the 5th Gens out there today had more than 40-50k on them, and that's just not a long time to provide hard data on long term reliability.

Be mindful of the fact that you are also looking at used cars as well, and it might have been traded in for a reason... (even if it was just because of a want for 2 more cylinders )
Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #54
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMatey View Post
i currently drive a 2012 civic which i know will not give me any problems for well over 75k miles, but i want a camaro, lookin at a 2011 v6.

so can people give me their car year and mileage and what kind of mechanical problems theyve had?

NO OFFENSE but i know american cars are not very reliable, but i just love camaros. everytime i see 1 on the streets i get a little excited.

thanks
Don't be brain washed. Your Honda is no better than anything else and American are as good if not better.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:09 AM   #55
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
"knowing" that (A)merican cars are not reliable tends to lend itself immediately to debate on a branded American car forum.

That being said, the first few points of interest is the place of assembly, the workmanship/pride in the build, and the parts initially purchased by the manufacturer to do the job specified by the engineer (purchased on the cheap to barely meet specs or purchased to exceed specs).

Let's not forget how many Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, and Mercedes plants exist in the US (primarily the South). Are these (A)merican cars? If the guy/gal on the BMW line overtightens a screw due to incorrect German torque specs on the auto-gun used for dash install and it cracks during cold weather contraction...is that the fault of the (A)merican or the German?

Technically the Camaro is Canadian until the 6th gen. using multiple parts sourced from around the globe.
No they are not American cars. They are foreign cars being assembled on US soil, just like Chevy is in China, does that make Chevy a Chinese car?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #56
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Wait ... OP are you telling me that every Honda is reliable? ??
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote