Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
AC smells terrible

For a little while my AC was great no problems what so ever. I had two girls in my car and my AC for days smelt like perfume. I honestly loved it. About 2 weeks after I started noticing a weird smell it would only kick in for 30 seconds at first and go away. Now it's on strong for 30 seconds at vehicle start up and gets very mild to where you can barely smell it.. but it's still there.

I just bought this 1lt 2013 Camaro RS less than a month ago it's got 1632 miles on it, can any GM people tell me if this is under my warranty or if i'd have to pay anything to get this problem fixed? Or How long it will take the dealers labor hours to fix? I just don't want my AC smelling like sweaty feet you know... Thanks - Paul, 480-695-3713
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
What type of smell is it? Does it smell like coolant?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Run the heater on high for a while. It'll suck, but I'm betting it will help. If you have the sweaty sock smell, that's mold, usually due to moisture build up. Make sure the condensate drains are clear and may even check your cabin filter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
1SsmOkin-SS
KNIGHT LIGHTNING

Drives: '12 AGM L99 SS
Send a message via Skype™ to 1SsmOkin-SS
A/c Smells like coolant

I just started experiencing the same thing a few days ago, it smells like antifreeze has somehow found its way into the a/c lines (if thats possible). There's no doubt its radiator coolant/antifreeze smell blowing through my a/c vents and its quite nauseating after a while. I took the advice of your reply about the heater and about to blast the heat in the driveway. Just curious, if the smell continues afterwards, what could be the problem or next step? Its a 2012 SS - Actually, what causes that to happen in the first place? Thank you for the tip, and any additional info anyone may have...
Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SsmOkin-SS View Post
I just started experiencing the same thing a few days ago, it smells like antifreeze has somehow found its way into the a/c lines (if thats possible). There's no doubt its radiator coolant/antifreeze smell blowing through my a/c vents and its quite nauseating after a while. I took the advice of your reply about the heater and about to blast the heat in the driveway. Just curious, if the smell continues afterwards, what could be the problem or next step? Its a 2012 SS - Actually, what causes that to happen in the first place? Thank you for the tip, and any additional info anyone may have...
1SsmOkin-SS,

I've assisted Knockoutpie with trying to get this addressed and have no problem doing the same for you. I understand that you're seeking opinions of this matter, and wanted you to know that we're also here if you need additional assistance. Feel free to send me a message if needed.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
If it smells rubbery or sweet like coolant, its your heater core leaking. Check the pass side carpet in the center console area, see if its wet. I am fighting with Chevy to get MY THIRD heater core replaced it has to be a defect, and they wont come clean about it, starting to seriously mistrust Chevy and my new car now.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi Henry G.,

Have you spoken yet with a customer service representative? If not, we would be happy to assist towards a resolution! If you would like our involvement, please send a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealership. We can speak with your dealership further regarding this issue.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
If it smells rubbery or sweet like coolant, its your heater core leaking. Check the pass side carpet in the center console area, see if its wet. I am fighting with Chevy to get MY THIRD heater core replaced it has to be a defect, and they wont come clean about it, starting to seriously mistrust Chevy and my new car now.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote