Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #295
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
If anyone wants to build me one of these, pm me price you will charge
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #296
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

Drives: No more Camaro
Ok, it took me a couple of days to sign back in after the site was down. Anyway, I built one side of the taillights and tried to install it and it did not work. :( I don't know if I hooked it up to the incorrect wire or if I built it wrong according to the schematic.

I tried it on the passenger side, so I used the green/white wire, just like it was mentioned in the thread. However, I cut the green/white wire that was going to the OUTSIDE bulb. Is this correct???? I tried it there and it did not work. Just kept giving me the bad bulb error on the DIC. (and the bulb didn't light up at all)

Or was I supposed to cut the wire next to the connector for the harness instead of the one going to the outside bulb? I don't want to be cutting my harness all up. I couldn't get back on C5 to view the info because it was down. :(

If connecting it to the outer bulb was okay, then I must have built it wrong. If so, then my second question is, does it matter where you make the connection points of the wires? Meaning, on the schematic, for example, the wire going from the module back out to the green/white wire (positive power) shows that it is connected at 3 different points; one is to the 8 pin on the timer, one is to the 2 pin on the relay and one is to the 1 COM pin on the relay. However, there are other items hooked in there as well, such as the adjuster (to adjust the speed of the lights - sorry, don't know what to call it off hand) and a diode and another diode off of the 2 & 5 pins of the relays. Do they HAVE to be attached in an exact order?

I think I took the wire from the 1 COM pin and attached it to the banded end of the diode by the relay and also connected a wire from the 2 pin of the relay to the banded end of the diode. Would this be okay? I did stuff like that. So, to me, it's all connected, but if it has to be connected EXACTLY as the schematic shows (where I actually take the diode and solder it to the relay pins 2 & 5 and then solder another wire on top of the diode wire at pin 2 on the relay and then lead that out to another wire that I have coming from the 1 COM pin as my lead out wire to the connection to the green/white wire...etc.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly. I feel like I'm not. :( I have a feeling I just wasted my money. :(
R1_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #297
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
The Output wire (the one that goes to the Green wire) is Pin 3 (N.O.) on the Relay. What you described was the input to the circuit, not Output
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #298
Highlifeman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You may have it hooked up "backwards". Try switching the connection points of the two halves of the green/white wire. I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying though, so if you could post any pictures, it would help a lot.

Just to be clear, the green/white wire gets cut and one side of the cut gets connected to the input and the other to the output. So only one wire per side actually gets cut, and the circuit is placed in between the harness and the bulb. It doesn't matter where along the green/white wire this is done as long as the correct side goes to the correct point in the circuit. The NO terminal on the relay gets connected to the half of the wire connected to the outside bulb, and the other half (connected to the harness) to the input.

As for your other questions, it sounds like you built it right. It doesn't matter where the connections are made as long as it's connected correctly. Just be sure you have the diodes in the right direction; it sounds like you do from the ones you described.

I hope you get what I'm saying. I'm clearly a typical engineer and terrible at explaining things, lol.
Highlifeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #299
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzer View Post
Anyone out there with some spare time want to build me a set and add a fee for your time? I am still deployed out in the middle east and i don't have a radio shack for about 3000 miles.

Be happy to paypal someone for their time.

IM me if you can help.

Thx Wizzer
your S6 prolly has those parts here. ive ordered small resistors etc from amazon to get shipped here.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #300
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlifeman View Post
You may have it hooked up "backwards". Try switching the connection points of the two halves of the green/white wire. I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying though, so if you could post any pictures, it would help a lot.

Just to be clear, the green/white wire gets cut and one side of the cut gets connected to the input and the other to the output. So only one wire per side actually gets cut, and the circuit is placed in between the harness and the bulb. It doesn't matter where along the green/white wire this is done as long as the correct side goes to the correct point in the circuit. The NO terminal on the relay gets connected to the half of the wire connected to the outside bulb, and the other half (connected to the harness) to the input.

As for your other questions, it sounds like you built it right. It doesn't matter where the connections are made as long as it's connected correctly. Just be sure you have the diodes in the right direction; it sounds like you do from the ones you described.

I hope you get what I'm saying. I'm clearly a typical engineer and terrible at explaining things, lol.
Nope, that's exactly how I hooked it up. I cut the green/white wire ONCE (it happened to be the connection/wire going to the outside bulb socket). I took the wire now going to the bulb and hooked that up to the Pin 3 NO side as I was supposed to. I then took the other side of the wire (going back through/into the harness) and hooked that up to the 1 COM wire (along with other connections on it). I then grounded the black wire to the body.

I also made sure to connect the diodes the right way (silver band went towards the | side in the diode part of the schematic) according to the information I found online on which way the diodes were supposed to go.

So, from my understanding, I did hook it up properly. Only thing I'm worried about now is either something didn't solder all the way like it should have or I connected something wrong. However, if it doesn't matter "where" I connected them, as long as they were the right way (diodes) and the wires connected properly, it should work.

Again, I didn't try both sides at once, I only connected one side, but I figured it should still work on just one side, right?

Damn, I'm not quite sure how to "verify" if my soldering was correct and/or where something might not be soldered correctly on the board. Ugggghhh..
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #301
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

Maybe this will help. I took a front pic and a rear pic (just flipped it to the left - the top is the top as it was in the front shot) and a shot of the relay. The pins on the relay wouldn't mount in the board, so I had to lie it on its side. Maybe this will help if you see anything wrong per the schematic.

I guess it won't let me upload the pics from my iPhone via Tapatalk. :-/. I'll have to try and log in and upload them in another post.

Sent from SBP's iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #302
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

I have to do them one post at a time. Sorry.

Front
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #303
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

The back, just flipped over. Same angle as front shot.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #304
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

Relay shot.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #305
SLO-POKE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Black
Can i get someone to build me one of these or 2 if that's what i need?
I cant use a solder gun worth a Crap. Ill send money. all i know about electronics is i cant make them work.
All Black Scarallos DriftR Wheels
Front 20X10 275/40ZR20 - Rear 20x11 315/35ZR20
SLO-POKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #306
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
The MOSFETs finally came in! Here's a shot of the board with the four parts installed. Clockwise from top right, the wires are in, ground, and out.

Here's a shot of the bottom. The MOSFET has a different pin-out than the first one we tried, so, two traces needed to be cut and a couple jumpers added.

sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #307
R1_Demon
Where the hell am I?!

Hope yours works. I'm still trying to get mine to work. I might just build the second one and see if I have better luck. :-/

Sent from SBP's iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #308
ExtremeV6

Drives: V6 '12 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
If anyone wants to build me one of these, pm me price you will charge

This is a very nice DIY thread and for the cost, you can't beat it! However, I don't trust my soldiering skills or electronic skills.

That being said, you can pay for the convenience of someone else doing it for you:
http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...l.htm?CartID=1

Last edited by ExtremeV6; 07-31-2013 at 11:06 AM.
ExtremeV6 is offline   Reply With Quote