Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #211
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Mmmmmm.....let's see - they wrap around to the side on the following model years:

1974, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, and 02.

I'd say that's quite a few years.

What IS true: No matter what we do, any time you change a Camaro or Corvette, it's going to be controversial.

For those of you who will attend Camaro5Fest, you'll get to see a whole bunch of 2014 Camaros in various trim levels................

Perhaps we'll have comments after that show.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #212
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arodr395 View Post
I actually think the 2014's are a step forward. The 2013's looked like a 4x4, the rear bumper of the Camaro made the dual mode exhaust stick out too much which is ugly in my opinion, the rear bumper looked to small so in certain angles made the 1LE rear tires look horrible. Lastly, the rear spoiler on the 2013 1LE was too small for the car.

Except the spoiler, could stand to be a little bigger!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #213
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse10 View Post
I dont know. Evertime I have seen a new model style for a camaro its always been "woooow". Now im like "whaaaa?". Either way im sure the drivetrain will be great.....this car seems to have devided everybody. When the 5th gen came out we all loved it,now were split. I feel guilty for not liking this one. Ive always owned a camaro, since I was 17 and I love all camaros gens. This one is not a camaro to me, you cant just mash up a random design and slap a camaro name on it and sell it. If we'll love anything with a camaro badge, then whats holding them back from just pulling another random design to produce knowing we'll buy anything with "camaro" on it? Thats just me but I do think it will be a great performing car and wish the new owners a bunch of fun for every mile they drive in it. Just my 2 cents tho...
I don't know how old you are - but let me assure you that your statement ""when the 5th gen came out we all loved it"....is patently false.

I know.

Because I was on this site trying to calm the hysteria. The first pictures had people throwing themselves off bridges. (...ok...maybe I'm overstating that just a bit....)

The internet is a blessing and a curse. People can make proclamations without really knowing what they're talking about. Now - I don't mean to belittle you or anyone else (...well, OK...there ARE a few that need belittling...but that's not nice......) but in years gone by, pics would leak in magazines (remember those?) and people would write to the editors and use a bit better language....but you had 50 percent loving what they saw and 50 percent hating what they saw.

I'm ancient - and because I grew up in a Chevy dealership, I remember the comments people made when a new model would come out.
Second gen Camaros? (and Firebirds?) HUGELY polarizing. People either loved them or hated them. (...sound familiar?) I remember people coming into the showroom to see the first ones we got - and some just threw fits...........well, the 2nd gen was by far the most successful Camaro ever.....to the point that in 1979 with strangled V-8 engines that gave us a roaring 170 horsepower.......and double digit inflation - we STILL sold 282,000 of them IN ONE YEAR.............................................. .......think about it.

Speaking of the early 5th gen....there was a picture of the steering wheel snapped in Europe (...from whence came the infamous 'shunt' threads...) Wellllllllllll.........You'd have thought the world would end in the next day or two! And yet people learned to love the look....to the point that when we changed the steering wheel for 2012, we had a whole bunch of 'hate' threads. According to some, we would never sell another Camaro! Funny thing....they were wrong.

Will the '14 be a success? Time will tell.

But once again (...and yes, my patience isn't what it once was.) may I suggest that you see one in person before making a proclamation.....because one of these days (...perhaps when I retire...) I'm going to create a 'Best of XXXXX..." thread where I show just how foolish some people sound at times.

The good news? Most of this is "passion for the product' - (and then there are a few grouches that are just full of...........themselves?....) Passion's a good thing........but let's not forget that in the end, this is a 'Camaro' ..and it excels in what it does.

See you at Camaro5Fest.........and if you don't show up, we'll talk about you and call you funny names!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #214

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If I were yet to own a Gen5 Camaro, I'd buy a '14 in a heart-beat...Lord knows what the 6th Gens will look like....I hope the '14s and '15s do well sales-wise....I wouldn't miss out on getting a 5th Gen while they're still around....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #215
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Mmmmmm.....let's see - they wrap around to the side on the following model years:

1974, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, and 02.

I'd say that's quite a few years.

What IS true: No matter what we do, any time you change a Camaro or Corvette, it's going to be controversial.

For those of you who will attend Camaro5Fest, you'll get to see a whole bunch of 2014 Camaros in various trim levels................

Perhaps we'll have comments after that show.
mmmmm.. not as a rectangle they dont. The part of tail lights that wrap in those years tapered down to point on sides. NOT the same and thats all I was saying. 1st gens do not wrap which is what were were referring to.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #216
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Quote:
I don't know how old you are - but let me assure you that your statement ""when the 5th gen came out we all loved it"....is patently false.

I know.

Because I was on this site trying to calm the hysteria. The first pictures had people throwing themselves off bridges. (...ok...maybe I'm overstating that just a bit....)

The internet is a blessing and a curse. People can make proclamations without really knowing what they're talking about. Now - I don't mean to belittle you or anyone else (...well, OK...there ARE a few that need belittling...but that's not nice......) but in years gone by, pics would leak in magazines (remember those?) and people would write to the editors and use a bit better language....but you had 50 percent loving what they saw and 50 percent hating what they saw.

Speaking of the early 5th gen....there was a picture of the steering wheel snapped in Europe (...from whence came the infamous 'shunt' threads...) Wellllllllllll.........You'd have thought the world would end in the next day or two! And yet people learned to love the look....to the point that when we changed the steering wheel for 2012, we had a whole bunch of 'hate' threads. According to some, we would never sell another Camaro! Funny thing....they were wrong.

Will the '14 be a success? Time will tell.

But once again (...and yes, my patience isn't what it once was.) may I suggest that you see one in person before making a proclamation.....because one of these days (...perhaps when I retire...) I'm going to create a 'Best of XXXXX..." thread where I show just how foolish some people sound at times.

The good news? Most of this is "passion for the product' - (and then there are a few grouches that are just full of...........themselves?....) Passion's a good thing........but let's not forget that in the end, this is a 'Camaro' ..and it excels in what it does.

See you at Camaro5Fest.........and if you don't show up, we'll talk about you and call you funny names!!!

WAIT!!!!!! Did i just see the word (retire) there???? O god this can not happen

On subject of the 2014 I have seen the car more than 3 times now..... and in different colors....Pictures really do not due justice it looks 100% better in person! So please do take scott's advice and go see the car before you start knocking it.
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #217
fbodfather

.,...and for those of you who blame our stylists.........

Let me assure you that they are out there talking to YOU the consumer. They read this site (...although I'm not so sure why they would at times...) and they talk one on one with Camaro owners as well as competitive makes.

One thing that was VERY controversial on the 5th gen at the beginning was 'how busy' the rear styling was. (...for those of you who don't like the styling - go back and search this site to 2008-2009....) -- and they listened.

Comments ran from "it's so HIGH in the back - and so narrow!' - to 'the back-up lights make it look so busy...to 'the extractor in the back looks horrible' -- and on and on and on.

If you look at the 14 back - what we've tried to accomplish is a 'clean-up' - making the lines more horizontal - getting rid of the back-up light 'slits' - and making the car look wider and sleeker........and frankly I think that most of you (WHEN YOU SEE THE CAR IN PERSON....!!!) will see what I'm talking about.

Again - we really DO listen -- but that also means that we cannot make everyone happy all the time.........

In 5 years, I suspect no one will remember most of what was said in this thread - because much worse stuff was said in threads in 2008-2009 - and I know this because ONCE AGAIN I was trying to explain the 'whys' and 'wherefores'

(........I think I'm getting too old for this!.........)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #218
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
mmmmm.. not as a rectangle they dont. The part of tail lights that wrap in those years tapered down to point on sides. NOT the same and thats all I was saying. 1st gens do not wrap which is what were were referring to.
OK - come to me at Camaro5fest.

I'll show you a pictorial history of Camaro.

There are many things I"m REALLY bad at. .....

Computers.....

Powerpoint......

Understanding how some women think........and men, too, for that matter.............

Understanding or tolerating the Detroit City council........

Nancy Pelosi.............

What I'm VERY good at is Camaro history and Styling cues...........a word of caution!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #219
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
WAIT!!!!!! Did i just see the word (retire) there???? O god this can not happen
Yeah - as a matter of fact, it can.

by the way - thank you for coming to the Show last weekend.....YOU inspire me! I had the pleasure of watching Camaros being built at Oshawa thru YOUR eyes during the homecoming......

I see the passion you have for Camaro - and in many ways you remind me of a young 'Scott' -- and we're fortunate to have you as a Camaro Enthusiast.

Never lose the passion!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #220
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
OK - come to me at Camaro5fest.

I'll show you a pictorial history of Camaro.

There are many things I"m REALLY bad at. .....

Computers.....

Powerpoint......

Understanding how some women think........and men, too, for that matter.............

Understanding or tolerating the Detroit City council........

Nancy Pelosi.............

What I'm VERY good at is Camaro history and Styling cues...........
We've posted plenty of pics throughout this thread demonstrating what WE were talking about...your majesty. Moving on as we had before you brought it back up. Not sure what you are trying to twist this into but I'm over it.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #221
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
The first images of the 14's pushed me to sell my 13 mustang and go back to the camaro (had a 10)

Good job !

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #222
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Quote:
Yeah - as a matter of fact, it can.

by the way - thank you for coming to the Show last weekend.....YOU inspire me! I had the pleasure of watching Camaros being built at Oshawa thru YOUR eyes during the homecoming......

I see the passion you have for Camaro - and in many ways you remind me of a young 'Scott' -- and we're fortunate to have you as a Camaro Enthusiast.

Never lose the passion!

Thanks Scott! It was a pleasure to be there! I love going to these events and meeting the great Camaro community and interacting with so many great people....I have learned so much from you....I really do not know what we as a Camaro community would do without you. See ya in 6 days

Richie
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #223
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:

In 5 years, I suspect no one will remember most of what was said in this thread - because much worse stuff was said in threads in 2008-2009 - and I know this because ONCE AGAIN I was trying to explain the 'whys' and 'wherefores'
Correct because the 6th gen will be out. If a refresh made this many people upset I can only imagine what a new gen will do. I can see it now, people ranting about how it didn't lose enough weight, how the Mustang still weighs less, the style moved too far away from a perfect 5th gen, etc.

Scott you do a great deal for this community, being on these forums shows that and I think that is so cool. I hope some day I get to shake your hand and maybe get you to sign my engine bay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #224
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
We've posted plenty of pics throughout this thread demonstrating what WE were talking about...your majesty. Moving on as we had before you brought it back up. Not sure what you are trying to twist this into but I'm over it.
I understand what you're saying - but again, the taillamps wrapped around the sides on every Camaro from 1974 to 2002.

I'm not sure what 'majesty' means - I certainly don't expect people to treat me any differently than they'd treat others.......but what I AM saying is that I don't think you're over it - because you made the comment about the taillamps.....

I'm simply saying that we take design very seriously and further, we understand that it's one thing to restyle a Malibu ----------it's another thing entirely to restyle a Camaro or Corvette -- and if only you could be a fly on the wall when there is a meeting discussing any styling change -I think you'd have a better appreciation for those who take their jobs very seriously. You would be shocked (perhaps) at the passion and yelling and carrying on during these discussions. The people who style these cars are hugely passionate about what they do-- these are dyed in the wool Camaro/Firebird/Corvette guys and gals........and while you may not agree with them, I do hope you'll at least have respect for what they do and realize that we didn't pick them off an iceberg floating down the Detroit river and say "here..go change the Camaro..."

I'm glad you purchased a 45th - and I sincerely hope that when you see the '14s in person that you'll perhaps change your mind. (...trust me - it happens to most!)