Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
camman1970

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
chatter noise in rear end???

just wondering if anybody else from alberta or canada itself is having any issue with this,and if they got a fluid change for the rear end.

my car has just started to do this,there is a service bulletin for it does anybody know if this is covered under warranty.

any info would be helpful thank you.
camman1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
Chatter noise?? Can you explain what you mean? Wheel hop? grinding??
I complained to the dlr about what sounds liked "loose drivetrain" noise. They first changed out the rear diff oil and trany oil. Then they let me know that what I was hearing was normal noise from a manual transmission. It was all good.
Whats the service bulletin? If its a service bulletin then its covered.

Note: when the dlr changed out my rear diff fluid they forgot to put the limited slip additive in it. Its in your owners manual what should be going back in if they change it. They corrected it right away.
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
That will need posi additive.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
camman1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LeSS View Post
Chatter noise?? Can you explain what you mean? Wheel hop? grinding??
I complained to the dlr about what sounds liked "loose drivetrain" noise. They first changed out the rear diff oil and trany oil. Then they let me know that what I was hearing was normal noise from a manual transmission. It was all good.
Whats the service bulletin? If its a service bulletin then its covered.

Note: when the dlr changed out my rear diff fluid they forgot to put the limited slip additive in it. Its in your owners manual what should be going back in if they change it. They corrected it right away.
more or less like grinding when car is cold and when turning left or right turns but only does it for a few seconds or more.service bulletin is on the rear end something to do with the clutch plates,be reading all the forms about this probelm.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
camman1970

found the bulletin service on a website called autoMD.com
Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
Found the bulletin. Sounds like what you described. The dealer will fix for you, just take it in. Wont hurt to tell the dealer the bulletin number too.
Make sure they put the posi additive in along with the gear oil.
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Fufighter

Drives: ZL1
Hearing something similar, sounds more like a loose bottle rattling around in a tin can? Does it at a slow speed when accelerating and when it's slowing down, can't hear anything at normal highway speeds. Hoping its not a u-joint
Fufighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Very common and simple fix. As the rear diff fluid wears it looses the friction modifiers strength. Just put in a bottle of limited slip additive. Or do as I and just change out the fluid yearly always put in a bottle of the additive. The additive is to keep the clutch packs from binding during corners. There is nothing wrong with your car. This is normal and is considered normal maintenance and isn't warranty covered. Don't sweat it!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
camman1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler H View Post
Very common and simple fix. As the rear diff fluid wears it looses the friction modifiers strength. Just put in a bottle of limited slip additive. Or do as I and just change out the fluid yearly always put in a bottle of the additive. The additive is to keep the clutch packs from binding during corners. There is nothing wrong with your car. This is normal and is considered normal maintenance and isn't warranty covered. Don't sweat it!
thanks for the great info,thought it was cover by warranty read that on automd maybe the first change.reading the other forms some guys where getting the rear diffs change out.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by camman1970 View Post
thanks for the great info,thought it was cover by warranty read that on automd maybe the first change.reading the other forms some guys where getting the rear diffs change out.

Thats because it IS covered warranty. Theirs a TSB on this exact problem as already listed.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
If it is covered that's great! But if not the charge to have the fluid dropped and replaced with the additive is under a hundred dollars. Not a huge bill so either way just get er dun! Your car will be much happier!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
camman1970

having my car in next week,they are going to change out the rear seals and the axle bolts and put in new fluid and additive.have read other forms where they have changed out the rear seals.

as for tsb if your car is under warranty it is covered!